October 08, 2024, 07:23:58 PM

Author Topic: [WM] BlackEd's Warmaster Projects  (Read 82273 times)

Offline Dave

• Mod
    • Loc: Worcester, MA
    • The Epic Gamer
Re: [WM] BlackEd's Warmaster Projects
« Reply #105 on: October 03, 2011, 02:55:30 PM »
Looking good Ed! I like the contrast on that first unit of pistoleers.

I picked up Dreadfleet too and agree, the models are ridiculously detailed. My set was actually missing a sprue however (I got two of another instead) so I'm currently seeing what GW's going to do for me.

Offline Carrington

« Reply #106 on: October 03, 2011, 04:08:44 PM »
Very nice!!!  I know I need to get back to you on flocking the bases for those guys, but they look great.

Offline BlackEd

« Reply #107 on: October 21, 2011, 03:00:47 AM »
I am working on a Nippon army for Warmaster.  (See the Trial Armies list.)  There are two entries that are giving me pause. 

The first is Temple Imps.  Are temple imps simply smaller Oni, or are they based on the kappa, the water imps, of japanese folklore?  I'm looking for some visual references, and am having a hard time coming up with much.  I see Goblin tiles, and I might use those as inspiration for a sculpt.

The next one is the entry for fanatic monks.  Are these the Ikko Ikki?  Or are they the warrior minks that are simply going to battle without any armor (which is to say wearing only their robes)?

I had thought of using Chaos Beastmen for the Temple Imps.  With some judicious snipping, the axe can be converted into a sword shape.  These guys are 6mm tall, which would also visually re-inforce the idea that the imps are small magical creatures. 

I am also trying out Pendraken gnomes, which have oversized heads and are shorter than 10mm, in the role of temple imps.

Let me know what your thoughts are on imps and fanatic monks!

Offline Carrington

« Reply #108 on: October 21, 2011, 02:50:40 PM »
Not to make to much of a typo, but the idea of warrior minks sounds cool.

Offline BlackEd

« Reply #109 on: December 18, 2011, 11:16:24 PM »
It's been a while!  Real life has a way of postponing the important things in life, like gaming!

I picked up a model of the Half Moon, the ship Hendric Hudson used when exploring North America looking for the northwest passage.  I gave it to my wife for Mother's Day, and had it painted in time for her birthday (November)!  It is a simple model, so I painted it to be much more complicated.  Take a look:

This is the color scheme used on the full-sized replica that is on the Hudson river in Albany, New York.  Note that all the work is free hand.  Some of you that are more sane might have used masking tape or even decals. 

Next up are some more Ashigaru for the Nippon army that I am slowly working on.

I posted pictures of these guys before, but in this photo they look more complete:

Some new Ashigaru units:

I'm trying a new approach to painting these.  Base color, wash, unit color, wash, face, details.  Let me know what you think.

Offline jchaos79

• Veteran member
    • Loc: Vigo, Galicia, Spain
    • Fortunes of war
« Reply #110 on: January 03, 2012, 01:54:32 PM »
I like a lot the look of your ashigarus, also the bright colors gives them a very japan style!

Offline Carrington

« Reply #111 on: January 04, 2012, 04:13:27 PM »
It's been a while!  Real life has a way of postponing the important things in life, like gaming!

I picked up a model of the Half Moon, the ship Hendric Hudson used when exploring North America looking for the northwest passage.  I gave it to my wife for Mother's Day, and had it painted in time for her birthday (November)!  It is a simple model, so I painted it to be much more complicated.  Take a look:

This is the color scheme used on the full-sized replica that is on the Hudson river in Albany, New York.  Note that all the work is free hand.  Some of you that are more sane might have used masking tape or even decals. 

Next up are some more Ashigaru for the Nippon army that I am slowly working on.

I posted pictures of these guys before, but in this photo they look more complete:

Some new Ashigaru units:

I'm trying a new approach to painting these.  Base color, wash, unit color, wash, face, details.  Let me know what you think.

Those look very nice, and will look much nicer when the bases/flocking are 'dirtied up.'

Offline Dave

• Mod
    • Loc: Worcester, MA
    • The Epic Gamer
« Reply #112 on: January 06, 2012, 04:03:21 PM »
Looking good Ed. I picked up some AIM Samurai stuff a few months ago. There's also talk of it being put back into production via a contract caster.

Offline BlackEd

« Reply #113 on: February 05, 2012, 08:34:33 PM »
I posted some new photos on my "Tale of Warmaster Painters" thread.  Please take a look!

http://sg.tacticalwargames.net/forum/index.php?topic=4004.0

Offline BlackEd

« Reply #114 on: June 18, 2012, 02:06:22 PM »
My first update here in a while.  I've been busy getting a house ready to put on the market.  If anyone wants to buy a house in Lee, NH then please send me a PM.

So of you might have seen Capt. Piett's Pump Wagon.  If you have, I have a pleasant surprise for you.  I made a mold of one of the wagons and have cast up 4 copies so far.  Here are some pictures:

I made the mold for resin casting.  The first test cast had problems, so I experimented with using epoxy putty as the casting material.  What you are seeing is 5 minute epoxy putty.  I also tried Elmer's Damaged wood Expoxy putty, which is very nice to work with but has a very long cure time.  I think I fixed some problems with the mold (for casting with liquid resin) -- I added a few more air vents and found I was missing at least one "feeder" from the sprue to the mold cavity.  I haven't had time to try again with the resin.

I plan to get to casting up the other Pump Wagon that Capt. Piett put together.  Before I do that, I want to get a vacuum chamber because the "new and improved" RTV from Alumilite has many more air bubbles in it than the old un-improved RTV.

Up next:  You may remember the Daemon Engine of Khorne:

I've been working on this:

I wanted a smaller version of the Daemon Engine so that I could easily fit one on a base.  In the end, I think what I sculpted is close in size to the original.  So I might try again to make this a bit smaller still.

There are some pictures of painted Nippon and Tomb Kings units, but that will wait for the next post.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 03:32:30 PM by BlackEd »

Offline jchaos79

• Veteran member
    • Loc: Vigo, Galicia, Spain
    • Fortunes of war
« Reply #115 on: June 18, 2012, 06:08:12 PM »
The engine of khorne is super! great work. Also great paint, those runes are full of power.

Offline frogbear

[WM] BlackEd's Warmaster Projects
« Reply #116 on: June 18, 2012, 09:31:48 PM »
I will echo everyone here and state that your work is simply awesome!

Offline David Wasilewski

• Warmasterplaytest team
« Reply #117 on: June 19, 2012, 01:39:34 PM »
Y'know, you should try sculpting up some Empire Greatswords! (hint, hint) :)

Dave

Offline Stormwind

• Veteran member
  • Ben Sibbald | Newcastle, UK
« Reply #118 on: June 20, 2012, 07:43:10 PM »
Oh wow - stunning sculpt stuff - I LOVE seeing things like this for small scales. = )
My Personal & Modelling Blog >>http://theancienttrack.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline BlackEd

« Reply #119 on: June 27, 2012, 06:29:32 PM »
Thanks guys for all the compliments! 

Dave W -- Yes, I am contemplating Great Swords.  It'll be a while though.  I want to finish my Daemon Engine.  Then I want to do a Slaaneshi Daemon Beast (you'll like her, she's got breasts), a WarSphinx (to replace the Bone Giant or Sphinx), and a Lizardman Celestial Engine of the Dieties.

Right now I'm working on a vacuum chamber so that I can suck the air bubbles out of my RTV.  My molds lately have had large air bubbles in them, which is frustrating!  I will also try an experiment with reducing the amount of catalyst in the RTV so that the RTV cures more slowly.

Pictures later.  I've got one new Undead unit and 3 new Nippon Units.