October 08, 2024, 05:35:29 PM

Author Topic: [WM] BlackEd's Warmaster Projects  (Read 82272 times)

Offline BlackEd

Re: [WM] BlackEd's Warmaster Projects
« Reply #75 on: July 16, 2011, 01:29:38 PM »
BrutalRage:  I am working on a 10mm Daemon Army for Warmaster based on the Cthulhu mythos (by HP Lovecraft).  I sculpted the Elder Thing up for the Pendraken Sculpting competition in hopes of winning the prize (more 10mm miniatures!), and having some cast up for me.  I was thinking that they might be small enough to be the miniatures used for daemon hordes, but in the end I think their size lends tham more to Daemon beasts or possibly daemon flyers. 

I still have hopes of sculpting my own figures for the Daemon Hordes.  I want to sculpt Deep Ones for that, but right now I am finishing up the figures that I want to use for Cthulhu-style daemon chariots.  My hope is to get Pendraken to buy those so I can have enough chariots and crew cast up for me.

Offline calmacil

• Loc: Nottingham, UK
« Reply #76 on: July 16, 2011, 05:21:49 PM »
Brilliant, you're a very talented figure maker  ;D

Offline BlackEd

« Reply #77 on: July 19, 2011, 03:38:10 AM »
Calmacil:  Thanks!  I appreciate the compliments!

I'm working on some Slaanesh daemon hordes and some Slaanesh cavalry.  I have to tell you, the quality of these sculpts are awful.  >:(

The Slaanesh mounts (for the cavalry) look great.  The demonettes on them look awful.  Same with the daemon horde -- the demonettes look awful.  In the 28mm scale, the daemonettes are graceful looking and have smooth flowing lines and are well proportioned.  The Warmaster ones look blobby, have indistinct lines between some details, and overall look bad.

It is just me, or has anyone else noticed the same?  Or am I being too picky?

The other Daemon sculpts look great.  These sculpts, well, they don't seem to be up to GW's usual standard.

Offline BlackEd

« Reply #78 on: July 20, 2011, 03:16:38 AM »
Some new painted stuff.  Here is a unit of pikemen:

I had these converted for years, and decided to paint them up to get them off my painting table.  I have three more units to paint up.  I will put together a Dogs of War army at some point.

Now for a miniature that I hope will get some attention.  This is a daemon character for my Slaanesh daemon army.

She started as a Reaper figure.  I added the claw and the circular base.  Each of the daemon characters I work on for Slaanesh will have a different skin tone.  I was trying for a darker Indian skin tone on her.  I wasn't happy with how the photo came out, but I do not have time tonight to take more pictures, so these will have to do for now.

Enjoy!

Offline azrael71

• Warmasterplaytest team
« Reply #79 on: July 20, 2011, 07:17:47 AM »
loving the daemon and always nice to see more DOW armies :)

Offline Lex

• Global Moderator
  • I wonder...
    • Loc: Bergen op Zoom, Netherlands
    • Warmuster . BitzBox
« Reply #80 on: July 20, 2011, 08:29:19 AM »
WOOT.... 

Offline Dave

• Mod
    • Loc: Worcester, MA
    • The Epic Gamer
« Reply #81 on: July 20, 2011, 12:38:44 PM »
Are those Pendraken Pikemen Ed? If so, do you know what packs? There's a few on their site that don't have pictures yet.

Offline captPiett

« Reply #82 on: July 20, 2011, 03:14:20 PM »
If I had to guess, I'd say they were GW empire converted with pikes, with crossbowmen for the front ranks (pikes at an angle). That's how the DoW article did it...

Offline jchaos79

• Veteran member
    • Loc: Vigo, Galicia, Spain
    • Fortunes of war
« Reply #83 on: July 20, 2011, 04:11:51 PM »
Great conversion! Ed,

which diameter have the pikes?

Offline calmacil

• Loc: Nottingham, UK
« Reply #84 on: July 20, 2011, 10:25:38 PM »
Very nice. Love that demon figure, she's going to look great as a character.

Good looking pikemen as well. Looks like lots of fiddly work has gone into converting those fellas  ;D

Offline BlackEd

« Reply #85 on: July 21, 2011, 09:20:00 PM »
Thanks guys.  Yes, they are converted Empire Halberds.  I used brass rod for the pikes.  And crossbowmen for the pikes coming down at an angle.

JChaos, I'll have to get you that answer later.  I don't remember the diameter.

I converted four units of these years ago, to start a DOW army.  The fiddly-ness of the conversions turned me off, but now I am ready to start working on the project again.  In addition, I feel no reluctance these days in ordering 10mm pikes from other manufacturers, such as Pendraken.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 03:52:25 PM by BlackEd »

Offline azrael71

• Warmasterplaytest team
« Reply #86 on: July 21, 2011, 09:53:34 PM »
Ditto mate.
I did 4 units and nearly went mad.
I recall using these http://www.oldgloryuk.com/disp_item.php?c=299&oc=3568

But I am tempted to do a stand alone one (it currently shares troops with my empire list).
That would however mean I would have to make some more birdmen to match the new list ;)

Offline BlackEd

« Reply #87 on: July 27, 2011, 03:57:09 PM »
I also have some tuskas that I converted from Epic scale Squiggoths.  I'll either re-do the conversions (I've gotten better at it over the years) or post pictures of what I have.

Azrael, do you have photos of your Birdmen?  I could never figure out how to do those conversions.

Offline azrael71

• Warmasterplaytest team
« Reply #88 on: July 27, 2011, 06:38:23 PM »
I'll either re-do the conversions (I've gotten better at it over the years)

Haven't we all mate.
I keep toying with selling my high elves, dark elves and lizards and doing them again but it is a very large commitment.
As for pics try these:
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1756265
A full thread of DOW :)
I used empire crossbowmen, snipped of the base, reposition the legs (carefully), then for the wings I used a very heavy card stock, cut out the required shape, scored the 'struts', bent the card gently, then applied superglue gel down the length of the creases to form a ridge.
Probably not the most elegant solution, but they look ok.

Offline graymatterblues

• The Procrastinators Guide to Wargaming
« Reply #89 on: July 28, 2011, 04:17:07 PM »
Sorry to hear about your being laid off Ed. Is your email the same? I hope things turn around for you quickly.