October 08, 2024, 07:37:01 AM

Author Topic: [WM] BlackEd's Warmaster Projects  (Read 82249 times)

Offline jchaos79

• Veteran member
    • Loc: Vigo, Galicia, Spain
    • Fortunes of war
Re: [WM] BlackEd's Warmaster Projects
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2011, 09:54:58 PM »
beautiful! good luck with the contest!

Offline graymatterblues

• The Procrastinators Guide to Wargaming
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2011, 10:02:16 PM »
Like all of your stuff that Nippon Cavalry looks great! I look forward to receiving their charge. With my spears set of course!  :D

Offline BlackEd

« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2011, 02:22:26 PM »
Thanks!  I can't wait to run you down with them!

Seriously, I finished a unit of Ronin last night.  Now I need to go back and finish the other two stands of this unit.

I have not forgotten that I promised pictures of chariots.  I got a little distracted sculpting riders.   :D

Offline fracas

• WarMancer
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2011, 11:35:03 PM »
nice as always

Offline BlackEd

« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2011, 02:32:01 AM »
Thanks for the compliments guys!

I have pictures of the long promised Daemon Chariots.  But first, some Samurai!  This is a Ronin unit, and the figures are from Pendraken.  I included my Samurai cavalry in some of the photos.  (If you are inspired to do so, please vote for my Samurai Cavalry on the Pendraken website.  I didn't win or place in any of the categories, but voting is open until March 14th for the People's Choice.  Thanks!)

I think I've got the F-stop and lighting figured out.  These photos are much less washed out than what I've posted previously:

I'm trying to talk my beautiful and wise wife into letting me buy a proper macro lens.  But we have to put a new roof on our house, so the budget will get a lot tighter.  We found out that out roof has no underlayment, which means that if water backs up on the roof at all, it will leak into the house.  Which is did a lot of this winter due to all the snow that fell here in New Hampshire.  Oh, and the shingles were put on incorrectly.  So this make 3 things that the building inspector did not find when he inspected the house before we bought it only 3 years ago.

Azrael, you once suggested flying chariots drawn by Bhyakhees.  Bear in mind that I am not quite done as you look upon these pictures.

This first group was done with the thought that flying Bhyakhees would be pulling the chariot through the air.  Here they are, minus the Bhyakhees:

I figure that Cthulhu daemons would not build something as a chariot.  They would just pervert some lifeform that happened to be handy.  Hence the chariots are bloated fish/amphibians.  I sculpted some 10mm cultists to go on the chariots.  Here is the first test figure on the back of one:

The cultist didn't come out too bad or too well.  I needed figures that would be more dynamic on the backs of these creatures.  Here are some more Cultist Charioteers.  One is wielding a long spear/pike/lance.  The other chap is driving the creature.  I just haven't decided if I am going to put reins in his hands, so he has no hands at the moment.

I like these follow-on sculpts much better.  Here is a shot of yet another pose, in progress.  The completed figure has the spear pointing up.  This might be logical if he was walking on the ground.  But when his victims are below him, the spear needs to point down.  When finished, this second figure will have the spear pointing down, ready to kill whatever the creature misses:

For those of you that are interested:  Yes, those are corks from 25 ounce bottles of Unibrouque beer.  They are both from bottles of Maudite.  Fitting, no?  ;)

Anyway, you can see that I created an armature for these sculpts.  Very handy!  Now I don't have to worry about my sculpt getting to be too tall!  The armature lets me pose the figure before I start.  I also found that the first layer of putty needs to be very stiff when cured, so green stuff won't do for the first layer.  This is my preference only, others most likely have their own way of doing it.  Anyway, I need the firmness that milliput gets me because the armature wire is very thin.  Without the milliput, the figure would be bending every time I tries to add more putty.

Thanks to my brother-in-law for sending me putty for my Christmas gift!

As I was getting ready to photograph the first set of chariots, I realized that I wanted bigger creatures for the chariot.  I had done some sketches months ago, trying to figure out what I was going for.  Suddenly I realized what I wanted to do.  These are the next set of chariots, which I like much better.  Please let me know what you think.  Of course, thsi second group is not finished, they are only roughed out.  However, I think you can see what the differences are from the first group.  I still need to add the teeth and then add details to the sides and backs.  But I think these new creatures can easily have two charioteers on them, and possibly as many as three.  Here they are:

And a shot with a rider:

Anyway, that's what I have for now.  I have a few days before I head over to Karlsruhe Germany for Euro GT.  I hope to see some of you there!

« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 02:38:33 AM by BlackEd »

Offline jchaos79

• Veteran member
    • Loc: Vigo, Galicia, Spain
    • Fortunes of war
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2011, 04:59:06 PM »
Did you slip some apes in your samurai infantry? or just my imagination?

good job!

Offline calmacil

• Loc: Nottingham, UK
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2011, 08:12:30 PM »
Great looking Samurai there BlackEd. The red banners with white writing looks brilliant, very eye catching.

Did you slip some apes in your samurai infantry? or just my imagination?
That's exactly what i was going to say as well  ;D
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 08:34:53 PM by calmacil »

Offline BlackEd

« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2011, 12:38:45 AM »
Yes, there are some apes there!  ;)

Offline HannahFKW

« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2011, 09:32:50 PM »
WOW THIS IS SOOO IMPRESSIVE!! :o

Me and my boyfriend are just starting up our own WM armies, he has known about for quite a while but I'm relatively new to the whole system.
I'm gonna do Daemons and he is gonna do the Araby.
This has given us such inspiration! Colours, what to use etc.
Can't wait to recieve my stuff through the post!
Can't wait to see what else you have in store for us  :D

Han.

Offline BlackEd

« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2011, 03:33:59 AM »
HannahFKW:  Thanks for the compliments!  In case you haven't seen it, here is a link to my thread in the Tale of Warmaster painters:

http://www.tacticalwargames.net/sg/forum/index.php?topic=988.0

It might give you some additional ideas for your daemons!

Offline graymatterblues

• The Procrastinators Guide to Wargaming
« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2011, 03:12:50 AM »
Looking good! I really like those ronin. Great sculpts and great colors. Are you going to sculpt a Lone Wolf and Cub to use as a Hero?

Man, I might be just about done with my Orcs & Goblins when you finish your Nippon army. Sounds like a match! Heh heh.

Do you do a lot of sculpting? It really looks like it. Do you take commissions?

Offline azrael71

• Warmasterplaytest team
« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2011, 09:12:35 AM »
@BlackEd
Have you seen Mansions of Madness.
Some of those minis may be of use as either models or inspiration for yor daemon army ;)

Offline BlackEd

« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2011, 06:43:38 AM »
Yes, I saw Mansions of Madness!  It looks interesting.  My first thought on seeing was to wonder which miniatures I could use for warmaster!

Ed

Offline azrael71

• Warmasterplaytest team
« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2011, 08:41:50 AM »
The models are great.
As is the game  ;D

Offline BlackEd

« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2011, 06:32:27 PM »
Time for more pictures!  I've got another unit ready for my Nippon army, as well as some more photos of Daemons.

First up, Tzeentch Overlord:

Next, some Tzeentch heroes.  The hero in the purple flames is the White Champion.  The hero in yellow white flames is the Golden Champion.

Now for a Slaanesh greater daemon.  This is a converted Reaper miniature.  I changed the weapon and removed the metal breast covers to give her a human torso.  I am thinking about adding tattoos to her skin, but not yet sure what I want them to look like.

Here ais a unit for my Nippon army.  Here is a unit of Temple Dogs.  These are Reaper Giant Foo Doogs.  I had to build up the bases a bit to cover the thickness of the miniature's base.  I went for a simple paint scheme on these.

I hope you like what you see!