October 08, 2024, 07:39:29 AM

Author Topic: [WM] BlackEd's Warmaster Projects  (Read 82253 times)

Offline David Wasilewski

• Warmasterplaytest team
Re: [WM] BlackEd's Warmaster Projects
« Reply #195 on: June 20, 2013, 10:41:50 PM »
Aaaaah - Vimto monks were a joke that very early warhammer afficionados may remember. The background fluff on Cathay mentioned a martial arts order of monks that were in the Shogun's army. They wore purple robes. There is a famous brand of ribena like blackberry children's cordial drink in the Uk called Vimto. Hence the Vimto monks!

Later editions of warhammer dropped all reference to cathay and so vimto monks have been lost in the mists of time...... Until now!

Purple Sohei? :)

Dave

Offline Blindhorizon

« Reply #196 on: June 21, 2013, 10:16:05 AM »
Phenominal!!

Offline BlackEd

« Reply #197 on: December 29, 2013, 08:25:34 PM »
No Warmaster stuff at this point, but I wanted to post some other items I was working on in December.

I made and cast these climbing holds for my wife:

The blue is blue resin.  The white of the eye is white resin.  The eyelids are a fleshtone resin.  It took a damn long time to cast this, because I had to cast a color, wait for the resin the cure, then cast the next color.  It was fun to do, though!

Here's another climbing hold:

I used some fossils that I picked up during my trip to the UK in November.  I used some resin-safe clay to hold the fossils together while the silicone mold material cured.  The mold required three different pours of silicone before it was done.  The granite coloring is due to an additive.  I love the look.  I plan on making myself one or two of these to use as terrain pieces for Warmaster.

For my mother-in-law, I used some relationship jui-jitsu to make a gift she had to love.  Here it is:

These are castings of my children's hands in resin.  The castings are mounted on a pre-made canvas.  The picture frame is store bought.  Grandma loved the gift.  Score one for me.

The real fun came from trying to get the castings of the kids hands.  I bought skin-safe silicone rubber, then had to find a way for them to rest their hands in the mold box while the RTV cured -- aproximately 25 minutes.  I learned some cool things, such as:  six year olds can't focus for 25 minutes. 

Anyway, I'm making a casting of the hands for my aunt who will love the finished result.

I've mostly been casting using SmoothOn's 305 resin.  I'm mostly happy with the 305, but I wanted to try a resin that cures harder.  So I bought a batch of the Task 2 resin.  It has a longer cure time but sets much harder.  Overall, the I don't like the Task 2 resin as much -- some of the mixed batches never set properly, and some remained sticky even after waiting multiple hours past the nominal cure time.  The Task2 resin is really hard though -- I had to use a Dremel tool to grind (and I do mean grind) off the sharp edges of the hands.

On the painting table, I finished painting a unit of Lizardman Saurus.  I'm not really happy with it, but it is done.  The yellow didn't come out the way I wanted.  I'm still working on the bases -- I want it to look more jungle-esque.

I started a unit of pikemen for the Dogs of War:

<Image removed>

In one of the above photos, you will see [redacted].  My lovely wife sculpted those for a project she started, and I cast up several copies.  The circles are for the Engine of the Frogs.  Each circle is its own piece.

I cleaned up the painting area this weekend, and it looks so much better!

Merry Christmas all!  Happy New Year!
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 02:15:52 PM by BlackEd »

Offline Stormwind

• Veteran member
  • Ben Sibbald | Newcastle, UK
« Reply #198 on: December 29, 2013, 09:04:04 PM »
Thanks for the update!  What nice personal projects. =)
My Personal & Modelling Blog >>http://theancienttrack.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline David Wasilewski

• Warmasterplaytest team
« Reply #199 on: December 29, 2013, 09:41:46 PM »
The pikemen look cool!
Thanks for sharing.
Dave

Offline Stormwind

• Veteran member
« Reply #200 on: December 30, 2013, 01:44:34 PM »
Can I just say - I would love ammonite type giant fossil hills / obstacles as a kind of Araby / Ulthuan coastal thing?

In the wonderful Total Annihilation: Kingdoms there were shorelines made of giant ammonite fossils.

Offline marell le fou

« Reply #201 on: December 31, 2013, 06:29:15 PM »
Nice things here... I hope we will see definitive versions of everything here.

Offline BlackEd

« Reply #202 on: January 06, 2014, 04:50:33 AM »
The pikemen are coming along slowly.  Other projects are in the way.

I'm casting up some "1st Book" pins for the NH section of the Romance Writers of America.  I'm in pretty good with the current president.  OK, the current president is my wife.  By marriage is one way to network, right?

I'm also collaborating with Elaine (same lovely spouse) to put together an entry in the contest for making the Hugo Award bases for 2014.  (The Hugo awards are the top award in the science fiction genre, and are given out at the World Science Fiction Convention each year.)  This year they will be held in the UK.  (Yes, I am going.)  Anyway, doing all the planning and test-casting has eaten away most of my hobby time.  If we win, I'll be casting up 36 bases.  Which would be awesome!

I hope to get our entry for the Hugo Award bases done next weekend.  after that I can finish painting the pikemen and get back to sculpting the Engine of the Frogs.  For the Engine, I'm taking the time to make the pin-and-hole arrangement for the various parts so it will be easy to assemble.  I'll take some pictures later to show you the its current state.

Offline Stormwind

• Veteran member
« Reply #203 on: January 06, 2014, 11:47:39 AM »
Oh wow, that's an honour! Can't wait to see your Hugos.

Offline Aldhick

• The End is nigh
    • Loc: Czech Republic
« Reply #204 on: January 06, 2014, 12:11:03 PM »
Great work with the pikes! Must be really time consuming...  how do you make the tips? Just by squeezing the end of the wire with pliers?
WM - Toomb Kings
My Mordheim guys (and gals)
http://boringmordheimforum.forumieren.com/t2734-aldhick-s-gangs

Offline BlackEd

« Reply #205 on: January 06, 2014, 02:23:26 PM »
Hey, that's a good idea.  Squeeze the tip, file to shape.

Well, the loose figures you see with the photos are from Pendraken.  They are cast with the points on the pikes.

On the pikemen I made by converting Halberdiers, I glued a bit of brass rod in place where the figure was holding the halberd.  The tips on those are blunt, and I just paint the tips mithril silver.

Offline Dave

• Mod
    • Loc: Worcester, MA
    • The Epic Gamer
« Reply #206 on: January 06, 2014, 07:14:18 PM »
Quote from: BlackEd
Squeeze the tip

That's Matt's motto!

Just saw all the Samurai pics Ed, they look great.

Offline BlackEd

« Reply #207 on: January 09, 2014, 06:00:43 PM »
I had to delete a photo from the above.  Sorry!  I was told that I can't post any pictures of the Hugo award base.  So if you saw the photo, please wipe it from you mind.  At the very least, please do not post any copies of the photo anyway (if you kept a copy).  The contest rules for the Hugo awards base state that no pictures of the prototypes can be posted in a public forum before the Hugo awards ceremony (if your base gets picked, that is).  If we don't get picked, I can post pictures once we know we are out of the running.

The good news is that I am DONE, FINALLY DONE, with casting up prototypes for the Hugo Award base.  I've learned a lot about resin casting in the process. 

I spent the whole of 5 minutes working on the pikemen this morning.  It felt good to slop some paint around.  I can't wait to finish the unit!

Offline BlackEd

« Reply #208 on: February 06, 2014, 03:11:09 AM »
OK, it has been too long, but I've finished the Pikemen unit that I started in an earlier post.

The placing of the figures makes the most sense when viewed in column.  Hope you like it!

Offline marell le fou

« Reply #209 on: February 06, 2014, 03:50:16 AM »
And the general aspect is really great. Movement is impressive.

If you create a second unit like that, you could pose them already nested and ready to receive the charge. With several lines of spearheads before the first pikemen line.