October 08, 2024, 12:36:06 PM

Author Topic: [WM] BlackEd's Warmaster Projects  (Read 82257 times)

Offline David Wasilewski

• Warmasterplaytest team
Re: [WM] BlackEd's Warmaster Projects
« Reply #165 on: September 11, 2012, 05:05:23 PM »
I second the war mammoth for chaos! Based on the forgeworld warhammer mammoth?

Lovely scuplting - very top shelf!

Dave

Offline BlackEd

« Reply #166 on: September 12, 2012, 04:00:43 PM »
BigRed -- That's an awesome idea!  I hadn't thought of that, but now that you mention it, it seems like the obvious choice.  I had been dithering before pouring the first half of the mold, wondering about how to position the carapce, and wondering if I needed a 3 part mold (for the 'mouth'/'eye' area).  + 1 for this!

Let's see....

Engine of the Frogs...
Engine of the Acients....
Enigne of the High Ones...

Answer:

Engine of the High Ancient Frog Gods!   ;D

But Engine of the Frogs is shorter.   :)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 04:54:37 PM by BlackEd »

Offline BlackEd

« Reply #167 on: September 13, 2012, 02:28:10 PM »
A quick note:  Last night I set up the molds differently.  This involved taking eveything out of the clay and making new mold boxes -- but that's why I use Legos.  The carapace with the runes will have its own mold.  Likewise the feet/legs.  Arms, hands and waist will have their own mold also.

I and I poured the first half of the molds this morning.  Tonight I might be able to pour the second half.

I am excited to have a seperate mold for the carapace because I've decided to make a number of those.  This way I can have a number of carapaces in process while I cast up the easier parts.

It takes a while to make a mold.  Taking the mold boxes apart and taking the items out of the clay, putting them back into the clay and making new mold boxes took over an hour.  Flipping the molds over and removing the clay will also take a while -- another hour or so.

Offline jchaos79

• Veteran member
    • Loc: Vigo, Galicia, Spain
    • Fortunes of war
« Reply #168 on: September 13, 2012, 03:47:37 PM »
Hey great news,

Do you use clay or silicone?

Offline BlackEd

« Reply #169 on: September 13, 2012, 06:22:47 PM »
Jcahos: For the mold, I use RTV Silicone.  Currently I'm using the QuickSet silicone by Alumilite. 

When I make a two part mold, the first thing I need to do is embed the piece about half way into a medium that will hold the piece in place while the silicone sets.  The "clay" I use for this is an artificial blue clay that came with my casting kit.  What it is really made of I can't guess.

Offline Big Red

• Loc: Victoria, Australia
« Reply #170 on: September 14, 2012, 01:20:11 PM »
In the past, I've used simple plasticine or play dough....  Not sure what it may be called in other countries...  It the stuff that kids play with, along with certain adults!!   ;)

Born to Paint
... forced to work.

Offline BlackEd

« Reply #171 on: September 25, 2012, 12:55:36 PM »
I'm in the process of creating two additional molds for the Daemon Engine.  I've cast 7 copies from one mold, and I have to cast at least 12 more to saticfy the current orders.  Casting one engine at a time just isn't time-efficient.  The two halves of the carapace mold are done.  The first half of the leg molds are done.  I need to make at least one more mold for the arms/hands/legs.

The first 7 came out beautifully, and did *not* require a small pour into the runes to get them cast without air bubbles. 

One of the Pump Wagon molds broke in my hands as I was pulling a piece out.  I haven't tried to cast any more from it, so I don't know if it is really finished or not.

Offline BlackEd

« Reply #172 on: September 25, 2012, 02:58:03 PM »
TheIronPainter:  Your mail box is full!  I can't PM you!

Offline BlackEd

« Reply #173 on: December 20, 2012, 02:38:48 AM »
Wow, long time no posting.

First up: Greater Daemon Engines of Khorne, painted and on bases:

Now a shot of Greater Daemon Engines with Daemon Cavalry of Khorne:

And the cavalry on their own:

The Juggernauts were modified from Epic scale Khorne Juggernauts.  The legs are sculpted onto the beastie.  From the waist up, the rider is a GW Bloodletter, 10mm scale.

I've also been working on my Nippon army.  Here are 4 more units:

Two units of Samurai Cavalry, 1 unit of Ashigaru, and 1 unit of Samurai on foot.

I'm really excited by the yellow cavalry unit, and here's why:  They have custom bases!  I created a base with hollows which have the same shape and depth of the cavalry bases!  Once the figures are painted, I glued them into the resin base.  They fit perfectly, and the tops of the bases were level!  Then I flocked the bases.  I saved soooooooo much time!  And it was soooooo easy! 

I'm planning on making similar bases for the infantry as well.  Maybe I'll have to post a picture of the base itself so you can see what I mean.  I will even do the same for the GW figures. 

I am slowly working on the Engine of the Frogs.  I'm hoping for a presure chamber for Christmas.  If I get one, I'll be able to cast up more Daemon Engines (in case anyone else would like 1 or 3), and I'll be able to cast up the Engine of the Frogs.

Offline Bel

• Answer_mods
    • Loc: Somewhere in Siberia
    • PolarFox
« Reply #174 on: December 20, 2012, 05:07:41 AM »
very nice bloodcrushers

Offline jchaos79

• Veteran member
    • Loc: Vigo, Galicia, Spain
    • Fortunes of war
« Reply #175 on: December 20, 2012, 05:43:14 AM »
The demons are great. Also the samurais, you are getting a excellent army of Nippon.

Offline Stormwind

• Veteran member
  • Ben Sibbald | Newcastle, UK
« Reply #176 on: December 20, 2012, 10:05:07 AM »
LOVE the bloodcrushers!
My Personal & Modelling Blog >>http://theancienttrack.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline BlackEd

« Reply #177 on: December 20, 2012, 03:19:17 PM »
Thanks guys!  I want to get better pictures of all these -- but because of all holiday related events, my wife and I have been stealing the camera from each other.

I'm hoping for a pressure chamber for Christmas.  Please, Santa, I've been (mostly) good!    :o

Offline TheIronPainter

« Reply #178 on: December 20, 2012, 04:35:31 PM »
My inbox is good to go BlackEd, fire away  8)
Visit my painting blog!
www.theironpainter.blogspot.com

Offline BlackEd

« Reply #179 on: January 02, 2013, 04:14:52 PM »
Santa provided me with a skirt for Christmas.  Don't judge me!  It's a skirt to wear when I'm in the kayak.  It's worn around the waist, and is connected to the rim of the kayak.  It prevents water from coming in the kayak, especially useful when you have your kayak out in the ocean.  However, I already had a skirt for my kayak, so...

I was able to trade the skirt for a pressure tank!  I bought an air compressor to go with it.  So, in a roundabout way, my wishes did come true!  I need to buy some additional pieces -- regulator, filter, shutoff valve -- but soon I'll be able to cast in the pressure tank.

I was using up some resin that was getting cloudy, which I think means it is going/has gone bad.  I cast up one copy of the dinosaur, and there were a ton of air bubbles, all in the ends of the spikes.  I can post a picture tonight.  What this means is that I have an excellent test mold to use for casting in the pressure chamber.