October 08, 2024, 07:39:41 AM

Author Topic: [WM] BlackEd's Warmaster Projects  (Read 82254 times)

Offline BlackEd

Re: [WM] BlackEd's Warmaster Projects
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2010, 04:42:54 PM »
Glad you folks like what you see! 

The faceless horror was going to be a bit more gruesome -- tendrils pulling people into its various mouths -- but I decided to forgo that.  I modified an old 10/0 brush to do the eyes.  The brush was no longer pointed.  The bristles fanned out a bit.  Using nail clippers, I removed the wayward bristles and was left with a tiny brush that I used to line the eyes.  I used it to paint in the smaller irises also.

JChaos:  The General is supposed to be a stand in for Cthulhu himself.  I was thinking about using Reaper's "Eldritch Demon" for Cthulhu, but for some reason decided to make my own.  I think I was concerned that the miniature was too large.  Here's my general:

Let me know your opinion:  Should I get a proper Cthulhu for the army general?  What miniature should I use?

I started looking at the flying chariots drawn by bhyakees last night.  I found some inspriration for the chariot.  I will start some sculpting this weekend and see how far I get.

Offline azrael71

• Warmasterplaytest team
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2010, 05:04:24 PM »
You know  Iam a huge fan of this project as well as a Cthulhu geek.
I think I would stick with your general as going for a representation of Cthulhu may end up with a VERY large model ;)

Offline BlackEd

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2010, 02:55:16 PM »
I took some time off from daemons to start my Skaven army  ;)

OK, so they aren't the right scale.  I painted these up for a family member for Christmas.  Reaper Mouslings.

I did get these finished up for the daemons.  This is a unit of Tzeentch daemon beasts.  The figures on either end are old school GW flamers of Tzeentch, with their arms slightly re-positioned to fit on a 2cmx4cm base.  I added some extra flames.  The figure in the middle is a Malifaux Poltergiest figure.  I replaced the hands to look like the flamers' "hands", and added flames.

For the next two weeks I will be focusing on getting terrain ready for the Warmaster tournament in Dover NH.  Then I will get back to painting more Warmaster!

Offline fracas

• WarMancer
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2010, 03:26:45 PM »
Those skavens are amazing!

The demons are nice too I supposed :)

Offline Bel

• Answer_mods
    • Loc: Somewhere in Siberia
    • PolarFox
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2010, 11:47:30 AM »
  So I made two Chaos themed markers:

How did u make this central round thing with a chaos hero inside?

Offline BlackEd

« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2010, 01:57:03 PM »
How I made the round central thing with the Chaos hero inside:

I started with a plastic bottle cap.  I filled it with cardboard so that I had a disk of plastic and cardboard.  I covered the disc with epoxy putty, which probably took me 2-3 sessions so that I could do one side and then the other.

Before the putty set, I pressed a Chaos Hero into the putty and pressed the chaos symbol into the putty.  I built up the putty around the hero to make it look like he was carved out of the rock.  I used putty to create the pedestal under his feet.  The texture that you see is the sculpting tool pressing and spreading the putty. 

I used 5 minute epoxy on the edges, then dipped the edge into a tray of small pebbles.

After all the epoxy had set (I waited 24 hours), I started painting.  I wanted it to look vaguely like obsidian (volcanic glass).  I painted everything with silver.  After the silver dried, I re-painted everything with watered down Dark Angels Green.

I can post a few more pictures of the monument later.

Offline Bel

• Answer_mods
    • PolarFox
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2010, 03:51:45 PM »
thanks. it is interesting.

Offline BlackEd

« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2011, 03:39:06 AM »
Bel,

Here are some more pictures of the Chaos objective marker that I made.

This is the back of the monument:

Another couple pictures of the front:

Looking at the pictures, I see that I coated the back and sides of the bottle cap with 5 minute epoxy and dipped the cap in small pebbles.  (Or more likely, I placed each pebble.)  The open end of the bottle cap was filled either with cardboard or styrofoam.  The open end was then covered with Plumber's epoxy (an epoxy putty that sets in 5 minutes).  The hero was pressed into the putty while it was still soft.  Green stuff was used to brige any gaps between the plumber's epoxy and the miniature.

Offline Bel

• Answer_mods
    • PolarFox
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2011, 07:12:05 AM »
thanks. nice idea, epoxy - > obsidian, I'll try.

Offline BlackEd

« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2011, 04:58:55 PM »
Time for an update.  The Warmaster tournament was a success!  I think I've been able to get 3 new people playing WM!

In case you haven't heard, the NorthEast of the US was hit by a huge snowstorm last week.  I spent Saturday shoveling an 8ft snow pile down to a 4 ft snowpile so that I could actually see oncoming traffic before leaving my driveway.  Later on Saturday I was on the roof getting rid of ice dams.  Yes, we had water coming in through the ceiling.  Now we don't, so I assume my efforts fixed the problem.  At least for now.

I took a break from Daemons to finish up a unit of HE Swordmasters.  I found that the armour wash that I made using Magic Floor Polish works very well on the scale mail.  I'm ready to do more HE infantry now!  While taking pictures, I took pictures of other HE units.

New Swordmasters:

Older Swordmasters:

Some Phoenix Guard.  The banner is free hand:

Some HE Chariots:

OK, now for something different.  Three wound counters, inspired by another thread (Guthwine's?  not sure of the author).  

The smaller ones use a clockface scaled to the size of a fender washer.  I printed out the clock face, and user white glue to attach to the washer.  I punched out the hole in the middle of the paper.  I used a rare earth magnet as the pivot and the thing that holds the counter together.  (I had to make the holes in the washers slightly larger so that the magnet would fit in and rotate freely.  I have a half-round needle file that was excellent for this.)  The decoration on top is a piece of platic card which just fits inside the numbers of the clock face.  The magnet is glued to the center of the plastic circle.  The top is decorated with tombstones and bones, with sand and PVA glue to finish the decoration.  A broken spear point points to the current number.

The larger one was my first attempt.  I had a larger fender washer, and found a smaller washer that fit perfectly inside the hole.  The top is a circle the size of the large washer, with a window cust out to show a number.  Under the plastic circle, I attached sheet magnet.  With the pivot glued to the bottom, the sheet magnet holds the top onto the bottom.  I painted the washer black, and put on numbers.  This was tricky, and some numbers were done 4 times.  Because the sheet magnet is so strong, I had to put a layer of clear plastic between the washer and the plastic circle.  (This seems to make turning the wheel much easier, and prevents the motion from rubbing off the painted numbers.)  The top is decorated with a bit from GW, and sand and PVA.

And lastly, a Daemon character with two objective markers:

I hope you like what you see.  I have been getting the urge to sculpt Chariots for the Cthulu Daemons.  Maybe I'll get something I like this time!
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 05:04:16 PM by BlackEd »

Offline Guthwine

« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2011, 06:20:53 PM »
No, Claus is the mastermind behind the turnmarkers! :)

Very nice work, especially the swordmasters look awesome. Great job on the banner of the blue ones!
Warmaster:
- Bretonia
- Dwarves
- Highelf WIP

Epic:
-Imperial Guard
-Necrons
-Space Marines WIP

Offline azrael71

• Warmasterplaytest team
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2011, 06:22:39 PM »
Sweet banner work.

Offline jchaos79

• Veteran member
    • Loc: Vigo, Galicia, Spain
    • Fortunes of war
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2011, 09:28:29 PM »
Yep agree with azrael, the banners are soo great!

And the swordmasters are cool too!

Offline BlackEd

« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2011, 08:10:36 PM »
The start of my Nippon army!  I did them for the Pendraken painting competition.

I hope you like!

Pictures of the long-promised Daemon chariots are coming soon!

Offline azrael71

• Warmasterplaytest team
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2011, 09:47:36 PM »
Nice.
My gaming buddy is chuntering about starting this army soon :)