July 19, 2024, 12:22:30 AM

Author Topic: [WM] Vincent's Stuff  (Read 122237 times)

Offline BlackEd

Re: [WM] Vincent's Stuff
« Reply #285 on: September 28, 2012, 03:41:47 PM »
Absolutely stunning work.  Now I want to get back to painting my Tomb kings!

Offline vincent

• Warmasterplaytest team
« Reply #286 on: October 01, 2012, 11:50:39 AM »
I'm prototyping the table mat I'll build to match the army and would like your opinion.

Wich to you prefer? Left or right?
Don't you think this wave-pattern is too-much? Would you prefer a "flat" sand?

Offline pw

« Reply #287 on: October 01, 2012, 12:08:17 PM »
I can't really tell much difference between them (they both look good) but the one on the left (less wavy) is perhaps my preference. As for wave pattern, I think perhaps is a little much (it reminds me of the seaside rather than the desert). I'd also be tempted to try some dead/dry grass to break it up a little.

Mostly though, my attention is drawn to the lovely contrast between the colour of the shields and the warm sand shades. Brilliant!

Offline jchaos79

• Veteran member
    • Loc: Vigo, Galicia, Spain
    • Fortunes of war
« Reply #288 on: October 01, 2012, 12:33:48 PM »
I think the waves are really cool, I prefere the right one, because the waves are closer and the table top used to by like a "hawk eye" or "airplane view" so the closer the better (just my opinion).

Great work Vincent, as always :) !

Offline Lex

• Global Moderator
  • I wonder...
    • Loc: Bergen op Zoom, Netherlands
    • Warmuster . BitzBox
« Reply #289 on: October 01, 2012, 12:35:35 PM »
I'm prototyping the table mat I'll build to match the army and would like your opinion.

Vincent,  care to explain "table mat". Are you creating like a Latex sheet with a repeat pattern ????

Offline vincent

• Warmasterplaytest team
« Reply #290 on: October 01, 2012, 12:55:31 PM »
I'd also be tempted to try some dead/dry grass to break it up a little.

Because that will be a full mat, I will keep it as flat as possible; no dead grass then.
But you can bet that it will be covered with scenery, including small bases of dead/dry grass, desert rocks, khemri ruins and so on ;)

Vincent,  care to explain "table mat". Are you creating like a Latex sheet with a repeat pattern ????

Yes; I will build a 180x120cm (or maybe 240x120cm) desert mat covered with the above wave-pattern and maybe some other textures.
It will **not** be built out of latex/rubber (too expensive/time-consuming for a single mat). I'm still prototyping but from what I've tested already it is likely to be made from a basic canvas (or maybe a rubbered canvas) covered with PVA glue and a layer of white pumice sculpted with the wave-patterns you can see above.
From the tests I've made white pumice doesn't come off easily, is very flexible and can be rolled/folded without getting damaged or becoming permanently folded. I still have to stress my prototype a bit more to make sure though.

Offline Lex

• Global Moderator
  • I wonder...
    • Warmuster . BitzBox
« Reply #291 on: October 01, 2012, 01:33:28 PM »
OK, I figured as much ....  was curious because working in (think) latex is not overly expensive when using (LARP) weaponsgrade latex.

If you do a mat of the aforementioned size then I would put the wavy "sand-accumulations further apart. If you also put in other texture ? then I assume that would be more rocky/broken ground in appearance and you would see the wavy pattern gettin more compressed (waves more near to another) closer to the more "solid" pieces of your map.

Offline Stormwind

• Veteran member
  • Ben Sibbald | Newcastle, UK
« Reply #292 on: October 01, 2012, 02:19:02 PM »
Dude this sounds amazing, I beg you to post progress so we can copy you, I'd love to make a similar mat / terrain to get people here into WM!

I'm guess this will put the awful over priced GW Realm of Battle boards to shame. =-P
My Personal & Modelling Blog >>http://theancienttrack.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline vincent

• Warmasterplaytest team
« Reply #293 on: October 01, 2012, 02:21:17 PM »
OK, I figured as much ....  was curious because working in (think) latex is not overly expensive when using (LARP) weaponsgrade latex.
You are right, latex is pretty cheap actually, and I've been working with it already.
But there is several problems with latex:
1. You must include paint within liquid latex, you cannot paint it when dry and have a durable result. It makes painting more difficult, and major failure could mean you have to trash the mat and build a new one :(
2. Latex is sticky when dry, and stick to itself. You must coat it to avoid troubles; coating it is annoying because the only flexible/transparent coating I know is not flexible enough to build a mat you can roll. So I would need lot of prototyping to find the appropriate coat.
3. Latex will crack because of UV
4. Latex has a yelowish color when dry, this will alter the paint color
5. Some people are allergic to latex

So to build my mat I will have to do a lot of prototyping (could be expensive), probably to come to the conclusion that latex is not the right material, because most company selling flexible terrain/Scenery are NOT using latex.

I need a quicker and cheaper path ;)

If you do a mat of the aforementioned size then I would put the wavy "sand-accumulations further apart. If you also put in other texture ? then I assume that would be more rocky/broken ground in appearance and you would see the wavy pattern gettin more compressed (waves more near to another) closer to the more "solid" pieces of your map.
I'm not sure to understand...

Do you mean that for a 180x120cm mat I should not use the wave pattern at all? What else then? Or do you mean I should mix it with other textures?

What I want to achieve is sun-burned sandy-desert, with dunes and half buried ruins.
Something like Soudan desert and its famous Meroe Pyramids:

« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 02:25:54 PM by vincent »

Offline vincent

• Warmasterplaytest team
« Reply #294 on: October 01, 2012, 02:27:16 PM »
Dude this sounds amazing, I beg you to post progress so we can copy you, I'd love to make a similar mat / terrain to get people here into WM!
If I can achieve what I have in mind, I will publish a tutorial by the way.

I'm guess this will put the awful over priced GW Realm of Battle boards to shame. =-P
We will see ;)

Offline pw

« Reply #295 on: October 01, 2012, 02:37:42 PM »
This sounds very interesting, I'm looking forward to seeing what comes out.

As regards the Realm of Battle board, as someone who lacks Vincent's obvious skills (and dedication), I think that the RoB board is a pretty cool thing. It's also nicely scaled for Warmaster/Epic (and not Warhammer/40K), with hills that are really just the right size.

Offline Stormwind

• Veteran member
  • Ben Sibbald | Newcastle, UK
« Reply #296 on: October 01, 2012, 04:44:53 PM »
This sounds very interesting, I'm looking forward to seeing what comes out.

As regards the Realm of Battle board, as someone who lacks Vincent's obvious skills (and dedication), I think that the RoB board is a pretty cool thing. It's also nicely scaled for Warmaster/Epic (and not Warhammer/40K), with hills that are really just the right size.

What about the gigantic pits filled with skulls?  I just can't accept that at 6mm / 10mm scale. x-D
My Personal & Modelling Blog >>http://theancienttrack.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Guthwine

« Reply #297 on: October 01, 2012, 04:47:10 PM »
I would prefer the right base, I think the lighter tone works better for a sunny desert.  I am not so sure about the wave pattern, it looks really cool on a small patch like this but maybe its a bit to much for a whole board. (Maybe a larger scale for the waves!?)

I think you should definetly try it on a larger patch first, other than that I am pretty sure youre going to pull it off! :)  Looking forward to more progress shots!

Warmaster:
- Bretonia
- Dwarves
- Highelf WIP

Epic:
-Imperial Guard
-Necrons
-Space Marines WIP

Offline pw

« Reply #298 on: October 01, 2012, 05:22:23 PM »
@Stormwind: I couldn't put up with the skull pits either so I filled in the pits and cut any others away. (Apologies for derailling the thread, back to deserts...)

Offline Lex

• Global Moderator
  • I wonder...
    • Warmuster . BitzBox
« Reply #299 on: October 01, 2012, 05:36:59 PM »

I'm not sure to understand...

Do you mean that for a 180x120cm mat I should not use the wave pattern at all? What else then? Or do you mean I should mix it with other textures?

Wave pattern, YES !!  but more apart as it more or less is the sanddunes you portray. Add in other texture and make smaller wiggels near those (sand will be more "unrully" near objects