August 05, 2024, 01:27:25 PM

Author Topic: Allocation of hits; using shields against criticals first.  (Read 1322 times)

Offline Joken

• Loc: Milton Keynes, UK
Allocation of hits; using shields against criticals first.
« on: September 07, 2021, 11:35:07 AM »
Is there a reference in the original rules or FAQ for how hits are allocated.  I’ve checked but can’t find anything.

Eg. Imperial Dauntless light cruiser takes three hits; a critical and two normal hits. As it has one shield is the critical hit ignored or is it randomised.  If the Imperial player allocates the hits to the ship then obviously the critical can be ignored.

Thanks for helping out.

Joken
No easy dice roll too difficult

Offline horizon

• Veteran member
  • Destiny Infinity Eternity
Re: Allocation of hits; using shields against criticals first.
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2021, 12:42:39 PM »
Heya,

I think you have something mixed.

Lets assume the Dauntless receives 3 hits from an enemy Murder Class Cruiser. Just, plain regular weapon battery hits.

The first hit goes against the single shield of the Dauntless, place a blastmarker in contact with the Dauntless to show.
The second and third hit inflict damage on the Dauntless. Reducing it from 6 to 4 hitpoints.

Now, roll for each inflicted point of damage a dice. On a 6+ a critical hit is inflicted. Roll on the Critical damage chart.

(If the Dauntless was on Brace for Impact it could save against the hits causing damage, not against the hit versus the shield).

Offline Joken

• Loc: Milton Keynes, UK
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2021, 02:11:51 PM »
Ahhhh, that might be the problem. We play that 6’s on the roll to hit are the only 6’s, we don’t roll the hits that get passed shields to see if they are crits.

I’m going to look at the rules again with this new information.

Me and my mate have been playing BFG this way since 1999 and it sounds like we’ve been playing wrong - a 22 year record.

Thanks

Joken
No easy dice roll too difficult

Offline horizon

• Veteran member
  • Destiny Infinity Eternity
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2021, 02:29:16 PM »
Oh, haha. That's quite funny.

But if both pf you read it wrong all those years ago and had no other contacts to play that can happen.

Check the rules through the rules hub in the general BFG forum.  8)