July 18, 2024, 04:28:37 PM

Author Topic: OSJC's 39th Eoforwich Pioneer Corps/Filey 42nd Droptroops (IG army project)  (Read 12869 times)

Offline Malika

• Loc: Netherlands
    • Bits Blitz
Re: OSJC's 39th Eoforwich Pioneer Corps (IG army project)
« Reply #105 on: March 09, 2022, 09:27:17 AM »
Woooooow, that one is now probably one of my favourite 28mm scaled conversions out there!
Bits Blitz - the place to be for all your bits needs!

Offline osjclatchford

• Loc: chigwell, essex, uk
« Reply #106 on: March 11, 2022, 01:41:25 PM »
much thanks Malika. glad you like it...

So my back has decided to blowout another disc, it seems... sigh...

this happened similarly back in 2017 on my L4/L5 disc and that was a bad-un...
I also had a slight bulge on L5/S1 at the time.
I was +/- completely crippled from crotch to knee and in perpetual day/night agony for the inital 6 weeks, followed by 4 months of reduced mobility, strength and more pain (though considerably less acute, it became rather dabilitating to experiance for such a long period.).

Now I've had a resurgence of pain in the form of this new event.
I can say for sure its not L4/L5 again as that was so far prolapsed that all the internal jelly was expunged. I doubt theres much left of that one than a thin line husk of harder disc left, to be honest. due to the location of the pain I can say with almost no doubt that its L5/S1, I'm hoping, nou but a particularly bad bulge, but my heart tells me its gone much like t'other one...
this time I've less ciatic issue with the legs (those nerves are situated a little higher up) but, still, t'aint good.
took today off work and will do nothing but good old rest till monday. with luck the initial acuteness of the inflamation and pain of the trauma will have subsided enough that I will at least be able to work again... new job and all, typical shitty timing eh?

I'm not woe stricken or looking for sympathy, by any means.
Just telling you guys so you can expect a bit of a gap in the painting for now, as I've serious doubt I'll be sitting craned over the desk for some time for a while at least. (possibly the worst position to be in, LOL!) 

so, here's something I did a week ago but was saving for now:

yes, its time for that homebrew sly-marbo stand-in

The rioteer.

as you can see, at Boss Salvage's suggestion, I've elected to add a frag/krag grenade combo to his belt.
This one comes from the new necromunda scummers set (or whatever they're called these days), I got this one from bitzbox t'other day when picking up some bits, just to see what the scale was like.
Its essentially a more realistic interpretation of the marine versions (with spon details etc...), both in style and size for guard sized minis. In the end I just decided to use it on this one as a one off but in truth I prefer using the tactical squad and sternguard grenades for that chunky, 2nd/3rd ed guard look that you all know I love so much.
The neophyte arms added a real sense of close combat (with the armour and pads) and the brown leather gillet marks him out clearly as a character.
These extra details on the arms also helped paintjob to translate really well to this model IMHO.

so is it really my marbo stand in? I dunno, could be marbo, could be an alternate stormtrooper Sgt. could simply be a killteam member.
I can think of a few other models I've made for this 39th project that would go together as a good killteam to be honest (the demosuit, beret guy and caped sniper come to mind...) bah, whatever he is hes a cool concept if nothing else and was real fun to model and paint. Thats the important thing...

also, at the same time I had knocked up this camo test for the armour on the upcoming filey drop-troopers:

A real subtle 'splotch' camo pattern made all the more subtle by using the first highlight layer colour as the pattern colour. then highlighting and scratching as usual.
the only difference on this is that I've also decided to use zandri dust as a final dot highlight too. just for that extra 'sparkle'... 

also, please ignore the piss-poor job of the face. was only painted as an afterthought to 'finish' the head. just looked odd left unpainted. I know I could have just painted one of the spare helmets from the sprue but I didn't have one of those.
also bear in mind that I will not be using cadian heads, but something close enough that this is an ideal 'figure' for testing the scheme on.
most will not even have faces showing anyhow so, yeah not a problem...

2017 Droppod Studios -  A subsidiary of the OSJC

Offline Lord Borak

• Loc: United Kingdom
« Reply #107 on: March 21, 2022, 05:51:14 PM »
Sorry about your back mate! That is a real blow especially after landing that new job but, really, work is only work. Look after yourself and rest up. Also, I get you with the hunched over painting. It does my back in a lot more than it ever used to. Growing old sucks eh?

Despite all this, these are great. The skin tone and face is very realistic as well. What colours did you use? I also really like the splotchy Camo on the helmet. It looks ace but looks like it took an awfully long time.

Offline osjclatchford

thanks Lord B!

So. my back is fine now.
in fact it was fine after the same weekend it went out!
I studiously did all the excercises and rested heavily and was back to work as usual on monday.
so far so good. but don't want to jinx it. Ive been a lot more carefull and I'm making sure not to overtax myself and to hydrate more. thats a killer for backs...

the skin?

white ink mate...

I just basecoat in ratskin flesh. then go over with cadian fleshtone.
cadian fleshtone mixed with skavenblight dinge for stubble, then clean up with cadian fleshtone.
then you keep adding white ink into cadian fleshtone to highlight up.
oh yeah, I forget.
I also use bugmans glow in a similar fasion under the eyes and on the bottom lip.

then its washed to shade and cleaned up with more white-ink/cadian fleshtone and then extra spot shading done to taste. then eyes.
done...

sounds like a lot but its actually pretty straight forward in actual practice. the constant adding of white ink to lighten and doing smaller and smaller highlights per layer is the key...

as for the camo? it was going on the shoulder, knee, helmet and torso armour plates. but might not now, I think I have other plans for the scheme. Yup I cahnge my mind a lot, but I want it right in the end...

so, if my backs better I have painted stuff?
erm, no not at present.

but meet the filey 42nd droptroops!

An off-shoot paratroop regiment from the Eoforwich system thats inspired by elysian guard and the U.S 101st airbourne...

here's a  full squad-shot of the infantry squad I have so far:

as you can see I am the madman that bought the dkok plastics, just to use the arms and pockets...
well, why not, everyone else is going to be using the bodies, I wanted something different.
Don't get me wrong, its a fantastic kit. but I warn anyone getting it or more specifically bits from it, get the god-damned instructions!
Its a real clusterfuck as far as sprue-layout and shared bits are concerned.
The other thing is that, in truth, the arms are very specific for the bodies they are designed for.
Meaning that simply slapping them onto some cadians (or anvil stuff, as I have here) is not as straight forward as you might imagine.
Lots of trimming, repositioning and greesstuffing required to get the poses all good and natural. consider yourselves pre-warned...

as aforementioned, the heads are from madrobot minis over in the states.
The Jim Cameron's Aliens inspired, "CDF trooper" heads.
yes they are colonial marines helmets. but just look at the masks and goggles combo going on there!
the mask is an obvious homage to the cadian/elysian rebreathers, the helmet itself very U.S military, but features all the extra raised panelling and camera details that are reminiscent of the kasrkin cadian helmets, without going too chunky or loosing the generic paratroop look.
and the goggles scream pure steel legion!
what a potent mix, eh?
I feel the heads mostly look like the lovechild of the elysians and steel legion. mostly... ;)

I went to Anvil industries for the bodies/legs (who else?).
I picked the light armour torso for the nice plates on the chest and back mixed with the molee vest detail that makes them fit in real nicely with the bebbanburg commandos but retain the up-armoured look that the dkok arms give...
the next obvious choice was the fatigue legs. more molee detail and the essential kneepads, plus they do not have the overhanging 'jacket' detail, making the fatigues look more akin to the elysian all-in-one jumpsuit. which is just what I wanted...

I trimmed a few of the rifles down to create a carbine version of the lucius pattern lasgun. Ideal for droptroops. Some I left full length.
why? well the 'slung' rifles made altering the barrel length a bit of a cowson to alter without considerable work and I found I rather liked the mixed bag of weapon length. much like how the 101'st used both m1 rifle and m1 carbine in mixed units...
I left it about half and half in the squad for as equal distribtion as possible, given the limitations of the kit.

Their kit is mostly the packs from the dkok (I felt they looked a bit parachutey but are clearly just kit-bags) but ditched the respirator tubes, one, to distance it from the dkok a bit and two, to make it seem a little lighter.
I went for primaris marine pockets (assault sprue and heavy int's) for that "new pocket" detail that I love and used the tactical and sternguard krack/frag grenade combo bits to give each guy one of each where possible. Also I made sure that each guy also has a waterbottle (cadian).
This was obviously not a feature on the 39th, who are mostly an entrenched unit, with bunkers and supplies aplenty, these guys are droptroops, they need to take all they need with them!
I've also used some of the deathwatch/scout chest pockets for an extra detail hither and yon and also to hide the odd bad join ;)

This use of the same amount and style of standard kit on each model, again, where possible (rifle, pack, grenade, pocket, waterbottle.) gave the squad the feeling of one of the gw releases of the 2nd and 3rd edition era the chunky astartes nades and cadian waterbottles in particular were designs visibly shared across the board on many of the guard units of yesteryear: 2nd ed cadians, catachans, modians, valhallans and tallarns all used these...
disperate kit is something thats better suited to veteran units, where standardisation is lost for induviduality. I feel I lost a bit of this 'standardisation' on the 39th infantry, mixing the grenade/kit styles up a bit too much. fine on the stormtroopers, commandos and veterans but its a bit sloppy on file infantry in truth and this time round (with these droptroops) I endeavour not to do that...

The grenade launcher was the obvious choice. its all I ever put in infantry squads these days, great all rounder and it helps that the breachloaders look rather cool too ;) I decided on a strict 'no-heavies' policy in the squads too, these would be fielded exclusively as sperate units or simply cover that with the 39ths entrenched artillery of mortars and heavybolters. who wants to drop out of an aricraft with a heavy bolter or whatever anyhow? no, makes MUCH more sense to use drop canisters and stick to six-man units to recover them or, as I say, leave that side of warfare to the 39th!
I ummed and ahhed on the bolter on the sgt. I think it looks so bad on the dkok model but then, when dry-fitting onto the sgt during construction I fell in love with the look. the simple addition of the 'stock' from the second edition bolter, mk3 marine boltgun-mag pocket and dw chestrig shells made the thing look ideal. if the rifles and carbines are m1's respectively, this bolter is the thompson! ;)
to make it obvious he is in charge, I put the skull on the lid (shaved from an old bolter) to match the squad designations of the 39th and as an extra detail I sculpted some simple scarf neckerchiefs to both him and the squad's corporal, the second in command who takes half the squad should it decide to split into two fireteams...
a simple yet fun detail that helps mark these guys out and references the more veteran status of them, the neckerchiefs are cut fom chutes from previous jumps, you see.

Twas indeed tricky to get some of the poses going naturally (arse-scratch/pocketgrab reloading dude for example) without them being verbatim copies of the stuff in the dkok kit but thats where a bit of ingenuity and creativity comes in. thats the real fun part. using stuff in ways its not intended to be to make something new but not obviusly converted is the crux of a good kit-bash. it should look like it's supposed to look that way. not fudged to... I'm first to admit it doesn't always work though... that gl guy looks a bit spack from some angles... bah, nevermind eh?

so why aren't these guys painted in any capacity yet?
well I'm not done yet. thats where I need your help guys!

I desperately need knives for the guys.

I want them on the lower legs ideally, down the side, joined where the kneepad is.
I'll say now, the cadian ones are far too large, as are the catachan. I ideally want a dagger type, shaped like the stormtrooper ones a bit but they are both far too large and overly ornate on the scabbards... sigh
marine knives are just as absurdly huge and oftimes without scabbards.
*edit* victoria minis ones are also too big, coming in +/- te same size as the cadian or stormtrooper blades. *end*
I thought anvil would have something. they do have some kabar type knives available but their sprue only has two in the scabbards and they are, again rather huge...

there were some forgeworld ones available which would have been ideal
In fact I used some as bootkniveson my steel legion I did years ago.
they were either elysian or cadian upgrade (or both) but I'm snookered if I can find some anywhere these days...
anyone got any? open to sell? let me know!

I'm also open to suggestions to what to use. third party or whatever. I eagerly await your suggestions guys!
dont be shy, let me know what you think I could use...

« Last Edit: April 03, 2022, 07:48:41 PM by osjclatchford »

Offline Lord Borak

• Loc: United Kingdom
« Reply #109 on: April 10, 2022, 11:23:14 AM »
Damn, those are some great kits and even better posed that way. I love the guy running grabbing a new Cell for his lasgun. It looks so natural.

Glad you're back in fighting form. I've just tested positive and work wont let me work........ so I'm off for a week full pay. Oh no!!  ::) ;D

The skin sounds great. I'm going to save that recipe for when, if ever, I paint something that isn't a giant robot.

Alas, I have no knives other than Guard ones. Although I do have a 3D printer....... Just find me a file or several and I'll print them for you.

Offline osjclatchford

« Reply #110 on: April 10, 2022, 12:33:49 PM »
shit man, I assume you're all treble vaxed (in your line of work) but nonetheless I hope you're not too I'll with it.
just look after yourself and stay away from the folks!
wish you well soon! (but not too soon, free vacation is nice!) ;)

also, re. the printing, thats real generous of you but as for now;

Knife conundrum solved!

yup, its one of these:

trimmed and shaved into the dagger shape/size, with the grip off of one of these cut down and grafted to it:

yup thats kinda expensive but I did get a bunch of the scabbards in a batch and I have many of the old second edition marine knives:

I can always nick the grips from these so no biggie there!

« Last Edit: April 10, 2022, 12:37:34 PM by osjclatchford »

Offline osjclatchford

« Reply #111 on: April 29, 2022, 03:46:10 PM »
So, here's the Filey drop-troop grenadiers!

as you can see I've used Anvil's balistic heads, heavy torsos and drop-troop legs.

the look I was going for was a general improvement of the 3rd edition stormtrooper minis.
the visors, armour, holsters, backpacks and plethora of pockets and grenades all help to enforce this image.

I had a bugger of a time making the rifles into hellguns (moreso using only the rifles I had left-over from the dkok kit after modelling the other squad) adding boltrifle scopes and fusing the stormtrooper hotshot-las barrels on (that was a particular cowson)

It's also why I went for a grenade launcher in the squad too, meaning I only had to make three of the hellguns!
The grenadelauncher itself comes from the atalan jackals and was a 'proof-of-concept' of how to make a gl on the dkok arms that was different to the reloading one in the kit. In fact I've used the medic backpack and hand to use the vials as grenades in this context.
The triplet of nades from the atalan jackals on the chest rounds out the look...

With the backpacks, I decided to keep the 'gasmask canisters' on there to seperate the minis from the rank and file droptroopers a little more. Them being chunkier and all that.
however, I only had two backpacks from the dkok kit left! argh!
As I say, I did use the medic one on the gl guy and then remade the other remaining two needed based on primaris eradicator pockets with flanking smaller pockets from the infiltrator leg pockets to mimic the dkok backpack, albeit without the bedroll. yup, thattledo!
again with the waterbottles and marine 'nades but also now using primaris holsters, as the big holstered pistols on the 3rd ed stormtroopers were a prominent feature I wanted to replicate, allbeit, with nicer detail (the 3rd ed holsters were much cruder than the new primaris ones)

The limited arms now available to me made posing a bit of a cowson to do but it came out well in the end.
The pose of the sgt, in particular, is a favourite.
Yes, its clearly based on that classic kasrkin artwork from the rulebook!
https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/warhammer40k/images/e/ed/Cadian_NCO.jpg/revision/latest/scale-to-width-down/460?cb=20110804081732
theiving git aren't I?

more soon...   
« Last Edit: April 29, 2022, 03:48:46 PM by osjclatchford »

Offline osjclatchford

« Reply #112 on: May 04, 2022, 03:01:39 PM »
done a one of the troopers to try out the colourscheme.

rather happy with it...

« Last Edit: May 05, 2022, 08:41:23 AM by osjclatchford »

Offline osjclatchford

« Reply #113 on: May 09, 2022, 03:03:01 PM »
Something a little different today:

Rogue Trader Mariella Danbury.
Ace gunslinger, excellent swords-woman, interstellar master-trader and all round fashion guru, this rogue trader is not to be trifled with.
Its unknown as to whether her commissar hat is earned or simply a bold fasion statement, but one things for sure, she sure does wear it well...

ok, this was a present from my wife from last xmas and yes I only just got round to painting it now...

its a excersise in proving to you that I am actually capable of painting anything other than grey, green or brown ;)

So, no, your eyes haven't gone, that's really an ermine and felt lined purple leather jacket with jeans and tan boots she's sporting.

why? well why the hell not.

In truth I wanted to convey the flamboyance and general dont-give-a-funt ness of a Roguetrader and felt that lavish displays of wealth and power were the best way to achive the look, hence golden and royal colours being used and it also explains the pilfered commissar hat and sash.
I chose a necromunda base to suggest that shes onboard a starship of some kind, either thieving her way through a hulk or comandeering the bridge of a poor unfortunate merchant vessel... what a scallywag, eh?

the model is of course from anvil, who else? ;)

perhaps a crew of low-down thieving bastards and neer-do-wells may yet join her in the not so distant future...

Offline horizon

• Mod
  • Veteran member
  • Destiny Infinity Eternity
« Reply #114 on: May 09, 2022, 10:32:15 PM »
Ace, well painted!

And yes, sometimes you want different colours.

Offline Stormwind

• Veteran member
  • Ben Sibbald | Newcastle, UK
« Reply #115 on: May 12, 2022, 10:09:02 PM »
Fantastic bashing and painting as always. <3
My Personal & Modelling Blog >>http://theancienttrack.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline osjclatchford

« Reply #116 on: May 14, 2022, 08:37:22 AM »
thanks guys!

just an fyi, as I've done the droptroops using the dkok bits and it seems evryone-and-his-mum is making dkok based models I've decided to sell off the remaining bodies and heads from my dkok kit:
https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/799591.page

I considered several different things I could do with them but int he end, I think I'd rater get some more stuff from anvil instead! LOL I thrive on doing different stuff to whats trending and as such have lost interest for them now.
not just dkok. Trenchcoats as a whole. perhaps its all that pea-dot I've been painting or perhaps its the relevent ease of the speed I can do a droptrooper compared to a 39-er. It might even be the lure of other colours that the deviation of the rogue trader has bought. anyway. for now I'm done with them and figure that someone might be interested. If not I guess I'll return to them in the future?

Offline osjclatchford

« Reply #117 on: May 17, 2022, 02:10:34 PM »
time for a load of bunk!

Clearly based on the forgeworldpill-box design, this started lifeout as a cut-off bit of HD foam pilfered from a skip-dive on the way home from work.

I carved the entire thing from a solid lump, including the void on the inside. that was a bit tricky.
As with the barricade thing I did before,  I used some easyfill45 mixed into some cuprinol garden-shades (black but any colour would do) and gave it two neat coats in high sun to dry quickly.
This gave the lovely cement texture but retained the 'sharpness' of the polystyrene's edges, keeping it looking like a cast peice. It also doubled as a good undercoat.
I basecoated it admin-grey and then added zandridust to the mix and stippled it all over with a fat old drybrush. I added ever more lighter tones to this and continued to sponge it on, concentrating more and more on the edges with each successive highlight.
once dry I gently smunged on some castellan green hither and yon as mouldy-mossy algeish growth.
next I watered down some of my agrax/nuln mix (the one I always use) so it was very thin and stained the whole thing evenly.

once dry I smunged some rhinox hide around the bottom edge as mud/dampness and used neat nuln oil and agrax for water/filth runs over the surfaces.

The door was made from cardboard (pack of a writing pad stuff) with bits of a leman-russ engine hatch cut up and stuck on it. I also added extra studs with cut down bits of spear-shaft and some were done with pva dots.
it was then treated with an all-over coat of pva, then agrellan earth (any of those crackly ones will do).

The rusty steel things on the top (I imagine those as how its carried in and dropped in place via a valk or vulture) were made from two bits of the round sprue from the tamiya barrels kit mounted on valkerye heavy bolter rigs.

these (and the door) were then treated to some typhus corrosion prior to painting. 

painting on the metalwork  was done the same as my rusty barrels: a base of gal vorbak red followed by the same mixed with some mornfang brown sponged over. then sponge over some rhinox hide and some wash with virmin fur (scrag brown in todays money?) wash and then a bit of an orange sponging then a scuff with some dark metal.

the skull on the front comes form an old bud of mine. Its a forgeworld resin detail thing I've had for over 15years now and never found use of till now. Handy though as its a nice reference tot he fw model this is replicating.
I did it bronze (tin bitz) so I could use that as an excuse to do some verdigris as another colour on there...

Then, to finish, a bit of birdshit on the top, lots of rust streaks around the metals, some static grass and some leaves here and there and suddenly its done...

heres a view of the top to better show off the details there:

now, the interior is painted but getting shots is impossible due to the way the thing's built. its not fancy, just another door to pretend to be the inside of the other one (just plain card and crackle though, no real details) and the walls are slightly greyer and its all painted rather dark to extenuate the shadowy nature of it. not that it will ever be seen. but I know its there! lol

oh, and just for S&G's here's a shot with a trooper, heavy weapon in place, a couple of barrels and that barricade thing I made before...

It matched up with the barricade quite nicely considering they were painted quite a time between each other...

Offline osjclatchford

Seems I'm not quite done with terrain yet, I've also made these dragons teeth tank traps:

I used all the same methods as the bunker and to visually tie them in, I've opted to include metal hook-eyes too. (as seen on similar ones on what was the GHQ Line near Waverley abbey, Surrey. they are still there afaik!)

as with the pill-box the teeth are based on insulation foam.
If you know not what the reinforcing/hooks are made of, I shall think you a simpleton ;)

These hooks are intended to be designed as if theres a bottom plate with the big u-bolt (like an exhaust manifold clip) that's then surrounded by a hastily erected plywood shuttering, then poured with concrete, the top of the u-bolt protruding from the top of the finished casting.
A hole is dug, the tooth planted, and the earth placed on top of the lower half...
Thus accounting for the slight mismatched size/shape of them thats actually the result of me being a slap-dash cowson who cut them all freehand in all the over-eager haste of typical 40k modeller on a scratch-build project.
come on, what do you expect?
Just look at the pill-box, or anything else I've modelled for that fact. If its not pissed, leaning or generally wonky its probably not mine...
At first I thought they might be kinda big for 28mm, the biggest of typical dragons teeth from the Siegfried Line or atlantic wall fortifications clocking in at about 3 to 4 foot tall at the max. as they are up to just past the guardsman's waist/elbow line thats +/- 4' so thats ok then.
regardless, 40k does have some damn huge tanks to consider anyway so perhaps the bigger the better anyway, eh..?

I left them single so they can be used in all manner of engagement scenarios, road-block, trenchline etc.. and as with the barricade, I screwed a half-inch screw in the bottom of each to give them the weeble effect that prevents them from flying across the battlefield should somewhone happen to pass them and gently cough or blink too hard...
It really does help and made painting much easier too...

« Last Edit: May 18, 2022, 08:58:30 AM by osjclatchford »

Offline osjclatchford

coming soon:

"this one's waited long enough..."