August 18, 2024, 03:21:18 PM

Author Topic: Warmaster Skaven Scratch builds.  (Read 2131 times)

Offline Blindhorizon

Warmaster Skaven Scratch builds.
« on: April 17, 2021, 02:07:18 AM »
Hi all,

Just bought a rather large Cromarty Forge skaven army. The miniatures are great, just wasn't a fan of the screaming bell and doomwheel they had done so i thought I'd make my own.

I'm not sure exactly how to the make the pictures smaller they are direct links from dropbox. I went for a exaggerated detail at this scale to pronounce it more, also rough areas on the miniature are intentional since it is something made by ratmen.

Anyway hope you like it C&C welcome. And i will be casting these up in resin as well.

Thanks,
Blind-

Offline osjclatchford

• Loc: chigwell, essex, uk
Re: Warmaster Skaven Scratch builds.
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2021, 08:57:52 AM »
lovely sculpting and scratch bulding on display here. very nice work.
and yes, its true that exaggerated detail is the only way to go with tiny scales like 6mm, 3mm and fleetscale.
well I think so anyway.
espescially with hand cast stuff.
I know 3d printing does stupid level of tiny detail, but in my opinion this ends up looking odd against the actual warmaster (or whatever) scale stuff, and also is kinda silly if you cant even see it to paint it! LOL. plus I've had a lot of bad luck and piss-poor quality stuff for the price with 3d printed mediums. I'm an old fashioned sorta guy and appreciate this kind of work a LOT more...
anyaway, this is really great stuff. this kind of work is sadly becoming a dying art and folks like you and Lordborak are keeping it alive, so thanks for that!
looking forward to see more from you...
2017 Droppod Studios -  A subsidiary of the OSJC

Offline Dave

• Mod
    • Loc: Worcester, MA
    • The Epic Gamer
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2021, 01:30:01 PM »
That looks good man. Sort of a "Screaming Windchime" then? :P

Offline Blindhorizon

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2021, 06:53:13 PM »
@osj Really appreciate the kind words, I so enjoy a more organicly sculpted miniature. 3D printing is nice but I feel it loses some of the character. I’ve been told my resin casting is on par with forge world, don’t know if that’s good or bad tho :)

@Dave yup like a big windchime lol, Tesla wheel is coming next.

Offline Blindhorizon

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2021, 04:20:18 AM »
Finished my first unit of skaven stormvermin from cromarty forge but next to screaming chime for size comparison.

I notice the pictures are a little out of focus ill try and take better pictures next time.

Blind-

Offline adamsg01

• Loc: Australia
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2021, 12:10:13 PM »
These look great Blind. Have you done any more painting of the screaming bell/doomwheel ? Love a piccy if you have. Nice sculpting too btw. I just can't seem to get the greenstuff to do what I want it to do.

cheers

Offline osjclatchford

• Loc: chigwell, essex, uk
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2021, 05:11:21 PM »
...I just can't seem to get the greenstuff to do what I want it to do...

Im not blindhorizon, so can't say for his preferences but I'd say go get some silicon tools and use spit.
not water or vaseline (as many such as pete the wargamer suggest) just a bit of spit.
dont gob all over it by any means but a lick to the silicon tool between applications as you would a brush when file detailing, works wonders and doesnt leave oily vaseliney residues that are a cowson to remove. these are the silicon tools I use when greenstufifng or using miliput:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Clay-Sculpting-Tools-Professional-Silicone/dp/B07GKF8H3H/ref=asc_df_B07GKF8H3H/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=345491865735&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=7186378877999561115&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9044940&hvtargid=pla-742209377998&psc=1
I tend to use the small flat square one and a stanley blade* the most but others have their uses I suppose

*please bear in mind that the OSJC warns that licking stanley blades is dangerous but neccesary when using greenstuff. so blame me if you loose a bit of lip/toungue in the process...
« Last Edit: July 11, 2021, 05:13:35 PM by osjclatchford »
2017 Droppod Studios -  A subsidiary of the OSJC

Offline Blindhorizon

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2021, 11:05:15 AM »
Hi,

No pics yet, I’m gonna cast them In resin just haven’t gotten around to it yet. And as osj says, spit is king when working with green stuff. And I use metal dental tools which works fine also. I’ll post pics once I finally get them cast up. The key to sculpting is not starting with the detail, you create a frame and then apply the green stuff over it to create like wood grain. The center of those green beams is plasti card square and circle rods with a thin layer of green stuff put over them.

Thanks for your comments,
Blind-

Offline adamsg01

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2021, 10:05:20 AM »
Thanks for the tips guys. Yeah I have been using water with the GS so spit it is next time. I have plenty of that

Offline adamsg01

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2021, 11:32:30 AM »
How did you go Blind? Any updates, wondering if any more photos of your latest adventures for the rat blokes (or other mins for that matter)?

Whilst I have not done any sculpting since my last post I have build up a fair supply of spit (Covid friendly as it is my own :) )

Also I note a technological marvel in that greenstuff is now shipping with a gap between the blue and yellow stuff.

take care, stay safe and happy hobbying