October 02, 2024, 09:22:16 AM

Author Topic: [Warmaster] Red cristalin sceneries  (Read 2109 times)

Offline marell le fou

[Warmaster] Red cristalin sceneries
« on: May 01, 2018, 11:16:35 PM »
I had those in the bottom of a drawer for too many years. I have decided to paint them those next weeks.

I had tried several years ago to paint them turquoise, but i was not satisfied. I have this time decided to paint them dark red. It suits naggaroth and chaos land theme for me.

It's boring to paint... Mainly because if i work with a watered paint, the red goes into the cracks and i need to repaint them white, and then yellow. So i have worked with a nearly dryed paint. Not drubrush but nearly.

I have painted the yellow cracks on only three blocks... And droped for the day.

Offline Geep

Re: [Warmaster] Red cristalin sceneries
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2018, 09:22:49 AM »
I like it. Any idea where they come from?

As an idea for making the painting easier- could you paint and drybrush the red, then use a watered down white followed by yellow in the cracks (rather than carefully avoiding any paint getting in there)?
Maybe that wouldn't work, or maybe it'd be harder with all of those cracks.

Offline Stormwind

• Veteran member
  • Ben Sibbald | Newcastle, UK
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2018, 03:33:20 PM »
Oh hey, those are the ones made out of pencils that the guy on the French Epic forum made!

I always wanted to get some crystalline things like that.
My Personal & Modelling Blog >>http://theancienttrack.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline marell le fou

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2018, 10:35:41 PM »
Oh hey, those are the ones made out of pencils that the guy on the French Epic forum made!

Absolutely ! and it answeres Geep's questions. Maybe hey are still available. I'm not sure.

I remember the guy took old pencils, broke them here and there, glued them, molded them and sculpted small cracks everywhere... And then molded the result again. And it's a nice try ! Low costs and great appearance.

As an idea for making the painting easier- could you paint and drybrush the red, then use a watered down white followed by yellow in the cracks (rather than carefully avoiding any paint getting in there)?
Maybe that wouldn't work, or maybe it'd be harder with all of those cracks.

I had the same idea but the problem is that the white wash goes on the red. For some places it's not a problem, you can easily whip the excess of paint with your finger. But in some others small places, it's impossible. So back to the solution of carefully add white paint with the extremity of the brush...
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 10:37:51 PM by marell le fou »