October 02, 2024, 01:16:21 PM

Author Topic: [WM] Lustria fortifications and constructions with HirstArts molds  (Read 2394 times)

Offline marell le fou

Hello gang,

I'm in HirstArts molds for several years for my mordheim table, and for pleasure. And i have found they would be usefull for WM for Lustrian and probably Japanese sceneries.

- The egyptian rang (i don't have) is useable as is i think. Some pieces are big but well, decorated tiles and statues are ok for our range.

- The Windmill mold can be usefull for people playing in Lustria. Those blocs are a little bit inclined to be able to build this type of construction.

I have tried to sand them to represent big blocs of an precolumbian-like construction. On the left, the sanded bloc, on the right the normal one.

Here is a small wall set-up with this very simple technic.

I think a three blocs high will be ok.

I will use a half-block sized piece to build crenels.

Big advantage is that it will be easy to build sceneries of what size we want, of course. I mean walls sized to be able to receive a full unit, towers with enough place to put three stands, etc.

Reminds me of some of the japanese castle walls too. Blocs are a little bit too big but well, the general aspect is here. It's up to you.

I will probably go further to build fortifications and at least an entire temple with those blocs. Will show you how it goes, but it will probably be within several weeks.

Offline marell le fou

Re: [WM] Lustria fortifications and constructions with HirstArts molds
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 04:23:48 AM »
I have begun the construction of walls.

Tried with those sorts of crenels.

But i will probably end with this one.

Do tell me if you feel it an other way.

I have chosen thin walls to back the wall, but maybe it's too thin.

I will see how it goes.

Offline Stormwind

• Veteran member
  • Ben Sibbald | Newcastle, UK
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2018, 12:29:27 PM »
What a neat idea!
My Personal & Modelling Blog >>http://theancienttrack.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline cjbennett22

• Loc: Grand Rapids, Michigan
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2018, 07:17:31 PM »
That is a really good way of doing it!  I was still trying to figure out how to go about making a castle and now I wonder if I will be going along this line  :)

I wonder if you could build all around a thin piece of foam, maybe too many hirst pieces if you did that  :(

really cool though, cannot wait to see it finished  :D

Offline marell le fou

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2018, 07:43:34 PM »
Thanks all !

A thin piece of foam ? You mean a base ? Please, explain.

As for the following, i will try several wall and probably a tower. And i will need a main gate. It should be heavily deocrated with lizardmen pieces... And even the wall too should have at least one or two decorative marks. Have to think of it.

Ideas welcome !

Offline dry_erase

• Loc: London
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2018, 10:32:07 PM »
Excellent!

For relief carvings, you could press-mould 28mm lizardman stuff - amulets, banner totems etc. and then cast them up to decorate the walls. 

Offline marell le fou

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2018, 08:42:06 AM »
Good and simple idea, yeah. I have blue stuff here. I have never tried to cast plaster in it but i will try. It would make very cheap decorations.