October 02, 2024, 11:28:24 AM

Author Topic: Vampire Counts army in a month - can it be done? Let's find out!  (Read 6578 times)

Offline berzerkmonkey

• Direct Fire
Vampire Counts army in a month - can it be done? Let's find out!
« on: February 21, 2018, 01:38:55 PM »
Crisis mode! One month to Adepticon and I need to try to get an entire Warmaster army painted and based in that time. I'm usually behind the curve on getting things ready for Adepticon, but it's been especially bad, what with getting a new puppy who has not allowed me get any hobby time this year.

Let's see if I can get this project done!

Skeletons - 8 units
Zombies - 6 units
Ghouls - 4 units
Ethereal Host - 2 units
Black Knights - 4 units
Dire Wolves - 6 units
Vampire Lord - 1 stand
Vampire - 2 stands
Necromancer - 2 stands

Day one (last night): I based and primed the entire army. I also laid a basecoat down on everything except for the heroes. Dire Wolves received a Nuln Oil wash.

Today, during lunch at work, I hope to be able to put down some base colors on the Skeleton units - spears hafts and shields, then metallics on weapon tips. I might have enough time to paint the tombstones on the units as well.

Offline cjbennett22

• Loc: Grand Rapids, Michigan
Re: Vampire Counts army in a month - can it be done? Let's find out!
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2018, 03:16:47 PM »
I always wonder to myself, how many units are too many units to paint for warmaster at the same time?  There are some easy units to paint, but for the most part youll always get stuck on a few that have some massive detail to them.  I don't know the vampire count's models very well.

I say good luck, good start!  I wouldn't want to sacrifice quality for deadlines, this isn't one of those hobbies.

Just a few months ago I painted up my O&G heroes, some infantry and an entire Orc fleet for Man O'War all at the same time.  Took forever though and it was very discouraging because it felt like I was getting no where with the projects.

I will be at Adepticon, so I will see you there.  Hopefully we can play against each other!

Offline berzerkmonkey

• Direct Fire
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2018, 03:25:13 PM »
Yeah, the VC don't have a ton of detail to them, barring maybe the Black Knights. The zombies have a bit of detail in their clothing, but I think I'll be alright.

I'm not going to sacrifice any quality - it's going to be the usual paintjob I would normally give the models, just in a much tighter timeframe.

I look forward to seeing you at Adepticon!

Offline Dave

• Mod
    • Loc: Worcester, MA
    • The Epic Gamer
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2018, 03:54:30 PM »
Have you factored in the time it'll take to completely strip the army and re-paint it again before Adepticon?

Offline berzerkmonkey

• Direct Fire
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2018, 04:04:57 PM »
Have you factored in the time it'll take to completely strip the army and re-paint it again before Adepticon?
Absolutely.

Offline marell le fou

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2018, 09:40:20 PM »
Wow, and it's not the small army.

Well, good luck !

For my part, i'm so in customisation and carefull basing that it seem strange to do this sort of challenge.

Offline berzerkmonkey

• Direct Fire
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2018, 01:26:02 PM »
Wow, and it's not the small army.

Well, good luck !

For my part, i'm so in customisation and carefull basing that it seem strange to do this sort of challenge.
I know you are - your Tomb Kings are a huge inspiration. I don't have the time or dedication to dive into a project like that though, so a good paintjob and getting them on the table is enough for me!

Offline berzerkmonkey

• Direct Fire
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2018, 01:45:13 PM »
Started laying down some more wood tones on my Warmaster skeletons yesterday and decided to complete a stand just to see how it would look. Turns out that after applying the Gryphonne Sepia wash, the wood and bone colors were indistinguishable, so I had wasted valuable time with the wood colors on the models.

What that did mean, fortunately, was that I could just do a straight Sepia wash, then hit the wood with Agrax Earthshade and get a nice wood tone out of that, and without having to spend time fiddling with spearshafts and shields in a different color paint.

As a result, I was able to get all base colors and the Sepia wash done on the rank and file skeletons, which means that I'll just have to hit them with an Agrax wash on the wood and a splash of unit color on the shields and they will be done. Command squads get banners colors applied today.

Offline cjbennett22

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2018, 03:12:32 PM »
I got the pants on 2 orc warriors painted last night  :)  they have big butts!!!

wood is a difficult one to paint, I cant remember the names of the paints but I do a dark brown, agrax, then a drybrush light brown.....raw wood, I do more of a grey color

cant wait for more, I have been getting into painting a bit too much lately for warmaster and I'm very interested now to have conversations about doing these amazingly well detailed 10mm models  :)

Offline berzerkmonkey

• Direct Fire
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2018, 02:25:07 PM »
I was able to get some good painting time in yesterday for the Warmaster army and was able to do the following:

Finish Skeletons (basing required)
Finish Dire Wolves (basing required)
Finish Ethereal Hosts (basing required)
Drybrush Ghouls
Wash Zombies

Group photo so far (minus Ghouls and unstarted Black Knights):

Offline marell le fou

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2018, 09:21:56 PM »
Keep on going :)

Offline berzerkmonkey

• Direct Fire
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2018, 09:25:00 PM »
Keep on going :)
I have to - I've got a hard deadline! I'm a little ahead of my schedule though, so things are looking promising so far. Ghouls don't have much detail, so they should be pretty easy to finish up. I wish they were better sculpts, but I suppose the lack of detail is going to work in my favor!

Offline cjbennett22

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2018, 05:44:58 PM »
3 weekends to go!!!!

do you paint more during the week or during a weekend?

Offline berzerkmonkey

• Direct Fire
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2018, 06:34:53 PM »
3 weekends to go!!!!

do you paint more during the week or during a weekend?
To be honest, it varies. I try to paint on my lunch hour at work, and if the dogs are relaxed, I might be able to get in an hour or two at home. I've usually got dinner to cook, laundry, etc, so that doesn't always happen. Lat weekend, I was able to take most of a day to paint - this weekend, who knows?

STATUS REPORT: I'm currently working on the Ghouls. The sculpts are, how shall we say... not good? but they are coming along. I've got a few touch-ups and a wash to do, and they should be completed.

After that, I've got zombies and black knights. The zombies actually have a decent amount of detail, so I think they are going to bog me down a bit. Getting ahead of schedule is going to help quite a bit with them and the BKs.

Offline Gunslinger76

• Loc: New Jersey, USA
Vampire Counts army in a month - can it be done? Let's find out!
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2018, 06:50:40 PM »
Pics or it hasn't happened.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk