September 04, 2024, 06:17:50 AM

Author Topic: Dark Eldar Discussion  (Read 8559 times)

Offline AJCHVY

• Loc: La Habra, California USA
Re: Dark Eldar Discussion
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2017, 07:57:30 AM »
Ah yes, didn't realize they stopped after turn 2. So Really I don't have much of an issue with them. I suppose if they really need a big fix, perhaps until the end of turn 2, on a successful Ld check, a ship can fire at a Mimic ship but with a further right shift on the gunnery table, in addition to the one already given by shadowfields. After turn 2 they cease to function as normal. Maybe even give them a Ld penalty if they are a certain distance away. If they fail they can't fire at that target, and may choose another target as normal.

Also another question I had regarding Shadowfields (and Holofields). Do you get the right shift for gunnery while within 15. It says it offers no protection of any kind, but it is stated after the rules for the save you get. Just something my group was wondering.

Offline Xca|iber

• *Transcribing Intensifies*
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2017, 12:57:43 AM »
Ah yes, didn't realize they stopped after turn 2. So Really I don't have much of an issue with them. I suppose if they really need a big fix, perhaps until the end of turn 2, on a successful Ld check, a ship can fire at a Mimic ship but with a further right shift on the gunnery table, in addition to the one already given by shadowfields. After turn 2 they cease to function as normal. Maybe even give them a Ld penalty if they are a certain distance away. If they fail they can't fire at that target, and may choose another target as normal.

The issues that Tves and others brought up was firstly that nullifying all attacks can be a hard turn-off for many opponents (since they can't really do anything other than maybe launch ordnance or try to skirt around the spirit of the rule). Beyond that, alpha strike (using Slave-Taking and the maneuverability of the DE ships) followed by immediate disengage often scored enough VPs to win the game without the opponent doing hardly anything.

It's a tricky problem, since the tactic should really be valid for DE, it just needs to be harder to pull off or have a tighter margin of error.

Also another question I had regarding Shadowfields (and Holofields). Do you get the right shift for gunnery while within 15. It says it offers no protection of any kind, but it is stated after the rules for the save you get. Just something my group was wondering.

No column shift if the attack is coming from within 15cm. The only things shadow/holofields are supposed to do are:

> Possible save vs lances (or similar) from more than 15cm away.
> Right shift vs gunnery from more than 15cm away.
++Ask Not, Fear Not++
-------------------------
BFG:XR - The Battlefleet Gothic Expanded Revised Rules Project

Offline AJCHVY

• Loc: La Habra, California USA
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2017, 08:48:41 PM »
So here's an idea I had.

-Mimic Engine works until end of turn 2 (same as normal)
-Any ship may attempt to discover a Mimicked ship with a leadership roll (not a command roll, so will not benefit from/be penalized for bonuses/penalties to command rolls) during the shooting phase. An attacking ship may target an enemy ship to attempt to discover them even though you are not allowed to target them as long as the Mimic Engine is active.
-Depending on how far the Mimicked ship is away from the attacking vessel, a Ld penalty is applied to the Command roll.
-up to 15cm - 2Ld
-15cm to 30cm -4Ld
-30cm to 60cm -6Ld
-Over 60cm, The enemy ship is simply too far away to be accurately identified.
Any ship that is discovered may be fired upon as normal by the remaining enemy vessels s the attacking ship sends data to the rest of the fleet.
If the command roll is failed, the attacking ship may not attempt to discover a different ship.

This is so any Dark Eldar ship that wishes to get close enough to board or hit with close range guns will risk being discovered and fired upon by a large portion of the enemy fleet. And with low enough rolls with high leadership, you can identify ships that are farther away.

Let me know what you guys think.