September 28, 2024, 12:17:49 PM

Author Topic: The transition from 28mm to 10mm  (Read 1457 times)

Offline industrialtrousers

• Loc: Londinium
The transition from 28mm to 10mm
« on: February 07, 2017, 03:22:29 PM »
Well - it  isn’t as straightforward as I thought.

I can spend ages fannying about adjusting a single miniature to be exactly how I want it to look and then get it on the table and the vanilla, unconverted version, would have been just fine.

I don't regret converting things as even though no-one else is likely to notice I'll be happy with it. Getting to the point where I remember it's probably not necessary is tricky though as sometimes the time might be better spent somewhere else on the project.

The same is true of painting. I have spent ages getting the skin tone exactly right on a few models and at 10 mm it not only isn't required, it's often not the right thing to do. You need more contrast than 28 mm and it's taking a while to learn this. 

I suspect I'll end up going over whole armies in the future just adding a highlight or two.

Offline jchaos79

• Veteran member
    • Loc: Vigo, Galicia, Spain
    • Fortunes of war
Re: The transition from 28mm to 10mm
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2017, 05:29:25 PM »
Nice thoughts.

I really like 10mm. Painting 28mm needs to paint all the models of the battlegroup/units/etc... with the same quality or look awkward the effect of the army. Sometimes quite hard for me.

10mm by the contrary accept units very well painted next to units rash painted. That is not ruining the experience of the battle at a distance of 50cm eyes-battletable.