October 04, 2024, 06:09:56 PM

Author Topic: [INQ54mm)  (Read 5111 times)

Offline radu lykan

• Loc: northants, uk
[INQ54mm)
« on: November 14, 2016, 09:34:42 PM »
recently picked up a genestealer and decided that having painted it i would start putting my inquisitor stuff on here

finished my Genestealer! cant get a decent pic of it however. had problems taking pics of my bfg nid ships which are in the same scheme. any tips on photographing models that are mostly black and glossed?
the scheme is basically that of a xenomorph from aliens with added green/yellow details
here are pics with my usual crusade of fire back drop

wasnt happy with these as the metallic blue doesnt really show properly so out came the light box. that didnt seem to help as can be seen in the spoiler tags, any advice is welcome

[spoiler]
heres the worst pic, using my wifes old iphone 5c, the ipink phone kept reflecting back at me :(

an orange background sort of worked last time so i tried red

then white

[/spoiler]

also am a bit stuck on what to do for the base? i have some bases that look like xenomorph infestation, i can do spaceship decking or something else?

Offline industrialtrousers

• Loc: Londinium
Re: [INQ54mm)
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2016, 06:17:24 AM »
For the base - if you could find some plastic ship decking them plastic glue would 'melt' it too give the acid blood effect. Then on another part you crank out the green stuff and make a few organic looking shapes that look like nest walls. Uhu glue makes  sticky looking stuff, bostick also works.

Have a look for some images from H. R. Giger's work and you'll find something in keeping.

A jungle floor base could also come up nice if you can find some aquarium plants cheapish.

Offline radu lykan

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2016, 02:25:29 PM »
Am still awaiting inspirations strike regarding the genestealer base, one day it will happen

With the possibility of a very real need for a space marine character at some point early next year I have started on my long planned, never started 54mm marine.
While I begin the slow process of reposing the Artemis model I am after some feed back on his gun. I am going with a storm bolter, I know it's a powerful weapon but if I am bringing a marine then the power level of the game has already been dialled up to 11, something powerful enough to warrant the inclusion of a marine in a game probably isn't too fussed on the difference between a bolter and a storm bolter anyway.

This doesn't look too bad imo but I am going to have to remove the pintle mounting which might take some tidying up afterwards, to save time and (possibly?) add wow factor I am considering adding additional ammo drums.

This adds to the bulky brutality of the weapon which is something I like and am reminded of molotovs truescale marine with stormbolter combined with grenade launchers, Segesvar http://s3.zetaboards.com/The_Ammobunker/topic/7659464/9/

So what was originally just me playing with spare bits and trying to cover up some potentially uneven surface is beginning to grow on me, does the idea have merit or should I stick with the first version?

Offline Stormwind

• Veteran member
  • Ben Sibbald | Newcastle, UK
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2016, 03:54:19 PM »
That looks suitably shooty and brutal!
My Personal & Modelling Blog >>http://theancienttrack.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Lord Borak

• Loc: United Kingdom
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2016, 11:13:59 PM »
Looking good Radu.

I'd consider having the drum mags lower down so you can have somewhere for the spent shell casings to come out - I forget the real word for that part but you know what I mean.

Offline radu lykan

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2017, 11:12:39 AM »
After seeing kaptidavy's version of a stormbolter on the conclave and somebody's suggestion my own effort was more of a combi bolter I decided to keep the combi bolter for a potential chaos marine and shamelessly steal kaptidavy's idea.

With the combi bolter for comparison

Just need to work out some sort of targeter to add some detail to the top now

Offline Stormwind

• Veteran member
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2017, 11:47:37 AM »
Great kitbashing!

Offline Chios

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2017, 12:52:33 PM »
Looks suitably stormbolter-ish now, I like it!

Maybe you could use the little targeter that comes with the predator kit, the one on top of the sponson guns? It would be a little bit bulky, but maybe that's not that bad for a Space Marine...

Offline Lord Borak

• Loc: United Kingdom
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2017, 10:44:16 PM »
All the Dakka!!!! You going to have this chap done for March mate??

Offline radu lykan

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2017, 07:55:58 PM »
It's looking tight due to finding a water leak under my house this week :(
Have managed to finish the second genestealer though :)
need to work on my photography skillz, the blue chitin has been washed out to look like black with blue stripes on it :( maybe next time I will get a decent pic

Went for the classic space hulk scheme on this one, bit of reposing was done to add variety
Next up, hopefully the marine :) 

Offline Stormwind

• Veteran member
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2017, 08:22:18 PM »
Very nice!

Offline marell le fou

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2017, 09:08:55 PM »
Classical but very nice work !

Offline radu lykan

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2017, 11:25:39 PM »
Cheers :)
The marine got a re worked head

Wanted something other than a helmet or the bog standard Artemis head

Offline radu lykan

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2017, 04:44:48 PM »

Originally I had him named Paulinus but at a conclave meet up at warhammer world this was read as poorlyness and even worse, poorlyanus :o
Any ideas on a new name?

Offline Stormwind

• Veteran member
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2017, 04:51:37 PM »
Beautiful work!