October 01, 2024, 12:23:31 PM

Author Topic: 10mm Ogres coming to kickstarter October 3rd 2016 from Black Gate Miniatures  (Read 45838 times)

Offline Stormwind

• Veteran member
  • Ben Sibbald | Newcastle, UK
OK, I threw my pennies in!

I pledged £68 which I think is right for:

2 Rider Units
1 Command Unit
2 Command Riders (1Shaman + 1Hero)
1 Yeti Unit
1 Brutal Ogre Unit
1 Giant Unit

Oh lord, more (lead-free) lead for the mountain! = P
My Personal & Modelling Blog >>http://theancienttrack.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Barry Pittman

• Loc: Chelmsford, UK
Perhaps leaving the Phase 3 units until next year would be helpful? There's also a better chance that in Phase 3 new backers will appear who decide to put extra cash in to buy Phase 1 and 2 units, thus making the Phase 3 goals more easily attained.

Softly, softly, catchee monkey?
That was the plan but the plan seems to have gone out of the window :)

The Greenlings are going to need a big budget to get them done properly. Most likely £1000. My idea was that they would be the focus of the 3rd Kickstarter and allow people to buy in to older stuff to help it fund. However, if the Hill Giant funds, I don't have anywhere else to go in this Kickstarter but the Greenlings. I could flesh out the units with more sculpts, but on balance I think people want the range finished ASAP instead.

Mo money, mo problems. This first week has been mental.

Offline Barry Pittman

OK, I threw my pennies in!

I pledged £68 which I think is right for:

2 Rider Units
1 Command Unit
2 Command Riders (1Shaman + 1Hero)
1 Yeti Unit
1 Brutal Ogre Unit
1 Giant Unit

Oh lord, more (lead-free) lead for the mountain! = P

Thanks you :)

I reckon your bill should be:

2 Rider Units £16
1 Command Unit £10
2 Command Riders (1Shaman + 1Hero) £12
1 Yeti Unit £8
1 Brutal Ogre Unit £8
1 Giant Unit £8

Total = £62

Offline Stormwind

• Veteran member
I am curious about the Greenlings, did you want them as strips rather than individual figures to show them being something of a horde?

EDIT:

Oh, well if it goes on I guess that £2 extra will go towards Greenlings. =- P

The thing about Greenlings is that as a cheap (points wise) horde unit that you need to boost the break point of an otherwise very elite army, it is likely that everyone will want to buy several of them.  Myself I'd like four for a start.  My initial plan was to use the grots that Polar Fox do and paint them blue/grey.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 11:05:31 PM by Stormwind »

Offline Barry Pittman

My plan with the Greenlings is to make them like Rat Swarm bases. So a little bit smaller than a 20mm x 20mm. Aiming for 4 different sculpts, one to be the "Command base".

That will hopefully allow some very dynamic sculpts and a nice amount of variety within the units.

Offline Stormwind

• Veteran member
OK, will I actually be able to get my paintbrush in to paint them, then? = P

Offline infinite_array

• Lurker
    • Loc: Philadelphia, PA
The thing about Greenlings is that as a cheap (points wise) horde unit that you need to boost the break point of an otherwise very elite army, it is likely that everyone will want to buy several of them.  Myself I'd like four for a start.  My initial plan was to use the grots that Polar Fox do and paint them blue/grey.

I think the Greenlings goal, once announced, will be reached very quickly for the above reason. I'll be getting four as well, since the WM:R rules let gnoblars brigade with other units, they're perfect for backing up Leadbelchers and other units, which frees up your Ironguts and Bulls to get stuck in.

After the Greenlings, I guess there's just the Junk Catapult left? I've seen some suggestions for Mercenary Ogres.

Offline Barry Pittman

I think the Greenlings goal, once announced, will be reached very quickly for the above reason. I'll be getting four as well, since the WM:R rules let gnoblars brigade with other units, they're perfect for backing up Leadbelchers and other units, which frees up your Ironguts and Bulls to get stuck in.
I am not sure they will get a buff that big in the final rules for this first WMR release. They can go with Yehtee and maybe the Scrap Launchers but they can't back up "regular" Ogres.

Offline infinite_array

• Lurker
I am not sure they will get a buff that big in the final rules for this first WMR release. They can go with Yehtee and maybe the Scrap Launchers but they can't back up "regular" Ogres.
Huh, really? Is the WMR list going to be different than the Trial List on the WMP Facebook page? There it has that Gnoblars can support normally, but can't be supported except by Gnoblars. I would have thought making Gnoblars a little more useful would have gone a long way to increasing Ogre's playability.

Offline Stormwind

• Veteran member
I think that, no matter the exact rules - we can all agree they are an essential "disposable" unit like Rat Swarms for Skaven and Skeletons for the Undead armies.

Offline Stormwind

• Veteran member
Have you kept it updated on the French forum? That might be what's needed to nudge it to 3k.

Offline Alexander

• Loc: Netherlands
If  gnoblars cant even support ogres then i don't see a real purpose for them. Cant be supported, cant give support other then to other gnoblars uhmm can't figure out what use they have other then  to add breakpoint and hid them in a forest or something. They are easy breakpoint give away for a very low breakpoint army.

I hope they get a little better than that.  :-\

Offline Barry Pittman

Latest update:

Giant almost released! Greenlings next!

What an amazing week it has been.

The Kickstarter has moved far more quickly than the first one and delivered a massive boost to the range of Ogre figures that will be available.

I can finally share the Savage Kin art, They funded before the art was released, just like the Yeti.

We are also very, very close to the Hill Giant funding (£41 away at the time of writing).

Christian has again excelled himself and I am happy to be able to share the Hill Giant art.

I love the "Astonished Human", it made me laugh out loud.

Next up will be the Greenlings and then the Greenling Artillery and then we are done. I will finalise the final stretch goal today.

Cheers

Barry

Offline infinite_array

• Lurker
The giant looks great!

Saw the new army lists - shame about the gnoblars. I suppose the addition of the Scrap Launcher could allow for a brigade of a unit of Yhetees, a Scrap Launcher, and two Gnoblars to act as a flank blocker or line disruptor.

Offline Barry Pittman

Operation Greenling is go!

It's time to try and get the Ogre army list finished and so I am going to roll the remaining stretch goals into one single amount.

If we get to £4,000 then we will unlock both the Greenlings and the Greenling Junk Lobba.

Christian is working on the art but you will have seen some Greenlings starting to appear in the recent pieces.

They will be available for £6 a unit during the Kickstarter as an add-on, with the same price be charged for both the Greenlings and Greenling Junk Lobba, The RRP will be £7.50 each after the Kickstarter ends.

One final push and the army will be complete!

Cheers

Barry