October 01, 2024, 12:20:27 PM

Author Topic: 10mm Ogres coming to kickstarter October 3rd 2016 from Black Gate Miniatures  (Read 45826 times)

Offline Barry Pittman

• Loc: Chelmsford, UK
Thanks for the feedback.

I was maybe a little over cautious with the stretch goals and am working at maybe re-doing them to get the Mammoth Riders way up the list. Subject to that being acceptable to KS and not bad form.

The character pack is a very difficult one. The sculpts are more expensive, being characters. The art is more expensive, again being characters. Added to that people only ever want one character pack no matter how big the army gets. The chances of the characters breaking even financially are very slim and so they are effectively being cross subsidised by the basic units. I will most likely push the character pack down the stretch goals.

Offline Barry Pittman

I have reworked the Stretch Goals a little.

The main reason is to get the things people have been asking me most about in the last 24 hours closer to the top of the Stretch Goal list.

The 2nd Stretch Goal at £3,000 now has two parts. The first unlocks the Cannoneer unit and the second triggers the Free Ogre Chieftain model to all pledges of Ogre Chieftain or above. I love this model and so wanted to produce it as soon as financially viable.

The second change is to the 3rd Stretch Goal at £4,000, this again has two parts now. The are both related to the Mammoth Riders and £4,000 give you access to either the unit of three riders and mounts for £10 per unit or the character rider and mount for £5. They have been moved up the list a long way, as people really wanted to see these guys, but in doing so the Mammoth Riders have moved to be a £10 add-on.

The final change is to remove the rest of the Stretch Goal for the time being. They haven't gone away for good, but I think it best to focus on what is most achievable.

Well it's been an interesting first 24 hours and a lot of fun. Ogres for ever!

Barry

Offline Stormwind

• Veteran member
  • Ben Sibbald | Newcastle, UK
Thank you for listening, it definitely makes it more interesting to me and I'm sure it will for others to.

I have participated in getting figures made and I am aware of the costs of trying to go for a high variety of models.  Because GW could afford to offer them at the same price as rank and file blisters I think there's a skewed sense of the value of things like characters and monsters.

I notice you were mentioned on the French forum a while back, too!

https://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=en&prev=search&rurl=translate.google.co.uk&sl=fr&u=http://warmaster-fr.niceboard.com/t3152-encore-des-ogres&usg=ALkJrhhIKTNGC-rLn0MFYh25Q-1jEK-Pcw

I'll chuck myself in for Chieftain level at some point soon.  If funding does go well enough to get to say, Mammoth riders, I would increase the level to build up an army.
My Personal & Modelling Blog >>http://theancienttrack.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Rowlybot

• Loc: Cambridge, UK
I'm in for four units :)

Offline Barry Pittman

I'm in for four units :)
Thank you Mark :)

Offline Barry Pittman

I am delighted to be able to announce that Black Gate Miniatures first product line has funded!

Thanks to each and every person who has pledged to make this dream a reality.

Now I need to convince enough people in the next 27 days to back this project to release not only the Armoured Warriors but the Cannoneer, Chieftain and Mammoth Riders.That means we need to get to £4,000, it sounds like a lot, but it would only take another 50 people pledging £60 each.

I will do everything in my power to spread the world and am working on sending out marketing packs and contacting gaming media outlets, as well as working forums and Facebook etc. But I need your help. Everyone who has backed the project will get a better range of product the further up the Stretch Goals we manage to get. It really is what Kickstarter was designed for. We all win if we can get more people involved in the pledging. So please help spread the word!

I will look at creating some fun add-ons next. Maybe dice. People seem to love dice.

Anyway, we are halfway through day 3 and I can tell you it is a little tiring running a Kickstarter, I can't believe it is only Wednesday.

Thanks again for getting us to funded so quickly.

Barry

Offline Stormwind

• Veteran member
  • Ben Sibbald | Newcastle, UK
My Personal & Modelling Blog >>http://theancienttrack.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Barry Pittman

Offline andys

• Loc: UK
Right, I'm in for 10 units.

Have many of the French community backed this yet? I vaguely recall they put together a joint order for the Evil Men campaign?

Looking forward to a character pack either during the campaign or afterwards if possible.

Barry - assuming the campaign fell a little short of either the £2000 or £3000 goals, what are the chances you'd cast up those "missed" figures as part of the campaign please? It'd be very nice to get the full range available eventually.

Edit: As Stormwind says upthread, if the higher goals are reached, I'd probably increase my pledge as well.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 11:36:05 AM by andys »

Offline Barry Pittman

Right, I'm in for 10 units.

Have many of the French community backed this yet? I vaguely recall they put together a joint order for the Evil Men campaign?

Looking forward to a character pack either during the campaign or afterwards if possible.

Barry - assuming the campaign fell a little short of either the £2000 or £3000 goals, what are the chances you'd cast up those "missed" figures as part of the campaign please? It'd be very nice to get the full range available eventually.

Edit: As Stormwind says upthread, if the higher goals are reached, I'd probably increase my pledge as well.
Thanks for your support Andy.

The plan is to get as much as possible done through the Kickstarter. I am confident that we can now hit £2,000 as a minimum, as we are at £1228 after 4 of the 30 days. That would then unlock the Armoured Warriors. Once they unlock I will launch a new pledge level for 12 units @ £90 with a extra little free exclusive something to say thank you to those willing to buy 12 units. That would allow you, worst case scenario, 8 units of Warriors and 4 Armoured Warriors for £90. That would be a good backbone of any Ogre army.

After the Kickstarter ends, the miniatures will revert to the RRP of £9 per unit.

I certainly hope to be able to continue and roll out the rest of the range either via a further Kickstarter in 2017 or privately financed.

Cheers

Barry

Offline Barry Pittman

From the 10mm Wargaming FB Group.

Offline Aquahog

Looking sweet (and backwards compatible)!

Offline Dave

• Loc: Worcester, MA
    • The Epic Gamer
I'd definitely recommend posting on the French forums, they were a significant portion of my first KS. I found this thread there but no KS link:
http://warmaster-fr.niceboard.com/t3152-encore-des-ogres

Same goes for TMP, it ranks high on the referral traffic as well.

I can also send out an e-mail to my maillist, if you like.

Finally, I suggest a 1GBP donation level. You won't get many there, but every bit counts.

Offline andys

• Loc: UK
The Evil Men KS got just over £2600 and 58 backers for a reasonably comprehensive range. I suspect this KS might not hit £3k but should easily reach £2k. Fingers crossed I'm hopelessly wrong!

Come on guys, get pledging!

Offline Barry Pittman

I'd definitely recommend posting on the French forums, they were a significant portion of my first KS. I found this thread there but no KS link:
http://warmaster-fr.niceboard.com/t3152-encore-des-ogres

Same goes for TMP, it ranks high on the referral traffic as well.

I can also send out an e-mail to my maillist, if you like.

Finally, I suggest a 1GBP donation level. You won't get many there, but every bit counts.
Thank you Dave for all your advice.

I am on TMP is the Crowd Funding and now the 15mm boards.

Will put in a Greenling £1 pledge level in the next few days.

Have been a bit scared of posting on the foreign boards as my French is poor, but if it not offensive to them to post in English then I will give it a go over the weekend.

Finally, if you would send out a message for me that would be great.