October 01, 2024, 08:18:16 AM

Author Topic: 10mm Ogres coming to kickstarter October 3rd 2016 from Black Gate Miniatures  (Read 45813 times)

Offline andys

• Loc: UK
Yes, perhaps it only needs wheels for mobility and one or two extra greenlings in the crew to help push?

Offline Stormwind

• Veteran member
  • Ben Sibbald | Newcastle, UK
£4,570 now - how about those sabre tooth cave lions? ;-P
My Personal & Modelling Blog >>http://theancienttrack.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Barry Pittman

• Loc: Chelmsford, UK
Update:

The final week

It's been a blast so far. We have shot through all the Phase 2 stretch goals plus the whole of the of the planned Phase 3 Ogre Kickstarter! Amazing.

I need to be careful not to let Phase 2 get so large that the project time frame is risked. By "large", I am talking specifically about the number of different miniatures that need sculpting, moulding and casting. Just to be clear, it is pretty straightforward to cast a few extra copies of a miniature for which the production has already been sorted, but creating "new" lines will have to be restricted from this point. A company is only as good as it's word, and I have to be mindful of what has already been promised and for when.

I know that this will leave some people a little sad because they would like me to push on with more varied products for the Ogres or even into different ranges, and for that I apologise, but I believe this is the right business decision.

So, that is most likely the end of the stretch goals for this Kickstarter. Hopefully, everyone will enjoy the "free" miniature and art (subject to minimum pledge levels) and spread the word about 10mm Ogres.

Ogres forever!

Barry

Offline Stormwind

• Veteran member
That is a 100% fair answer, I must admit I was not even considering the timeframe - I just got super carried away with how well it's done! <3

Offline forbes

• Loc: North West, UK
I'd rather have a good looking junk lobba, than worry too much about squeezing it to a 20mm wide base.

Let the poor man get this KS delivered before worrying about the next one!!

Offline Alexander

• Loc: Netherlands
It is over 5200 5400 now and still going!

« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 07:00:57 PM by Alexander »

Offline forbes

• Loc: North West, UK
The total has shot up in the last day or so.

I think it shows how good it is to be able to offer a whole army at one time. And to have amazing art work.

Offline Rowlybot

• Loc: Cambridge, UK
Congrats Barry!

Offline Stormwind

• Veteran member
I think that's the kicker!  To be able to offer a whole army is a real "stone soup" affair, where everyone has to have the confidence to chip in a significant amount of £ all at once!

Offline andys

I think Barry got it right with offering basic infantry units in phase 1, then the stuff in 2/3 that people might buy fewer of.

I'd imagine quite a few of the extra backers this time around must have bought good numbers of the basic units from phase 1, rapidly boosting the overall total and thus releasing the other goals.

And of course the original phase 1 backers were pretty much guaranteed to pledge to complete their armies. A double whammy?

Fingers crossed he decides to do it again with another army in a year or two, now we know how it can work out.

Offline Stormwind

• Veteran member
Yeah once I invested in the first I was on the hook for this one.  Immensely grateful to have the army over 2 years rather than 3, mind you!

Offline andys

Actually it's going to be a touch over only one year. The first KS started October 2016 and Barry is hoping to deliver the goodies from this one in October this year.

An amazing achievement to be honest. More power to Barry!

Offline Barry Pittman

Thanks everyone for the feedback and support.

Latest update.

With just 24 hours left, this Kickstarter has surpassed my expectations by a long way.

The present total is £6,511, which is an incredible amount. A massive thank you to each and everyone of the backers that made this project possible.

So last call, for anyone wanting to get an Ogre army with a discount from the regular RRP and a couple of free bits chucked in.

Ogres forever!

Barry

Offline Barry Pittman

Post Kickstarter Update 1

It's been a couple of weeks (plus two days) since the Kickstarter ended and this morning the money finally come through. Once again, a big thank you to everyone who backed the project.

I have settled my account with Christian (Concept Artist) and paid for the first master Mammoth sculpt. The final miniatures will most likely be split into pieces to make casting easier.

Next up is one of the Shaman sculpts.

The only other thing I need to keep you updated about is the time scale.

When I planned this Kickstarter, it was intended for the production of Mammoth Riders, but I also planned for making the Characters including the ones mounted on Mammoths. I didn't expect to be making the whole of the rest of the range. I am delighted to be able to produce the rest of the range but need to explain the process going forwards.

I have a single, very talented sculptor called Robi. We had discussed the Kickstarter before launch and he had created me a window in his sculpting schedule. This window was for the production of the Mammoth Riders and Characters. With the success of the Kickstarter (which is a good thing) the amount of work for Robi has increased considerably. He is trying to make more space for us, and it's possible that everything could be completed in time for me to meet the October deadline, but I need to inform people that the deadline may slip. I will however, make sure the Mammoths and Characters are ready on time, and if people want them shipped separately then we will sort that out individually.

I expect the next update in a week or two, when I have some more sculpts to share and maybe even a bit of moulding and casting.

I will also be holding off on sending the Backer Survey until probably early September, in order to be in a better position to ask the right questions about delivery etc. You can only send it once and so it has to be done right first time.

That's it for now.

Ogres forever!

Barry

Offline marell le fou

nice work, thanks for the pictures. Courage for the gestion of the terminated KS.