October 07, 2024, 05:29:45 AM

Author Topic: Caulk Battle Mat  (Read 1912 times)

Offline industrialtrousers

• Loc: Londinium
Caulk Battle Mat
« on: September 09, 2016, 01:39:21 PM »
Howdy
I've made a start on a canvas/caulk battle mat and one layer is on there and it looks a lovely brown due to using colored caulk. Brown because I was planning to static grass straight onto a wet second coat but I'm not 100% convinced the stuff will stay on there and it seems to be a bit expensive on a 4 x 5 foot sheet.

Has anyone tried sawdust and caulk mix for a final layer?

Any cheap sources for or alternatives to Static grass?

At the moment I'm leaning toward just painting it rather than flocking due to the expense.

Any other advice on texturing welcome as I've seen the plastic bag and sponge ideas. Also got a few  bits of textured plastic I've got off milk bottles and biscuit packets.

Cheers

Offline Dave

• Mod
    • Loc: Worcester, MA
    • The Epic Gamer
Re: Caulk Battle Mat
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2016, 04:39:29 PM »
Static grass doesn't have enough weight to get into the caulk, you'll have to press it down as the caulk is drying.

I've experimented a bit with a couple of options, trying to re-create the mats I used to get from TheTerrainGuy. Whatever you use, cut the mat bigger than you need, pull it taunt and fasten it down. If you don't it'll curl on you. Latex caulk/paint won't take paint and will smell like strong vinegar as it cures. Acrylic caulk/paint is supposedly less durable.

I had a decent success using gesso and Woodland Scenics snow and flock.

Offline industrialtrousers

• Loc: Londinium
Re: Caulk Battle Mat
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2016, 10:38:12 PM »
Cheers Dave, I think that gesso idea sounds worth a try if I ever get around to this again. Flock seems the more option as well as you can make your own reasonably easily not that it's that expensive.

I've managed to plant some builders sand into the acrylic caulk I'm using and it looks ok. I think I'll go with this and patches of grass for a starter.

Should have got a bigger piece of canvass but did keep it reasonably taut, still a wee bit curly but nothing I can't live with. Tricky to do this of thing in London as space can be hard to find.

Thanks for the note
Phil