October 07, 2024, 07:17:31 AM

Author Topic: [MoW] Finally painting my fleet(s)  (Read 3609 times)

Offline Modhail

• Lurker
[MoW] Finally painting my fleet(s)
« on: August 21, 2016, 05:37:16 PM »
Back when Man O'War was first released, I hadn't yet encountered Games Workshop. But shortly after my exposure to GW, an incomplete copy of Man O'War fell into my lap. Since then I've been on and off on the prowl for a complete fleet or two. But time after time, I just missed out on a critical ship or squadron to make a game legal fleet. Earlier this year, thanks to a diligent friend, I acquired the missing puzzle piece to my most complete fleet and off I am! Finally the fleet of Barak Varr can set sail!

The past weeks, I've been cleaning, assembling and basing my little Dwarf naval expedition:

Earlier this week, I've painted the basing for the entire fleet:

I've now divided the fleet up in individual squadrons and (groups of) Men O'War/Independent ships that I will paint a grouping at a time. Hopefully I can show off the first squadron a couple of days from now...

(And in related, equally good news, the same diligent friend has also found me the squadron I was lacking from my Empire fleet. It should be sailing towards me on the currents of international postal services! Once the Dwarves are done, I can start on the Empire fleet as well. Such a bounty! :D )

See you next time!

Offline Stormwind

• Veteran member
  • Ben Sibbald | Newcastle, UK
Re: [MoW] Finally painting my fleet(s)
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2016, 06:57:53 PM »
Lovely work!
My Personal & Modelling Blog >>http://theancienttrack.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline marell le fou

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2016, 11:02:43 PM »
Hell Yes !!

It's so rare to see mow stuff ! I love what you have done.

See is really well painted. Looks like a good old black ocean under stormy day... And those ship sinking are a very good idea. I had some printed in 3D few years ago but it was only the beginning of this technology and they where poor... Now with blue stuff you can easily mold some and make template like you did.

Really excellent work ! Give us more !

Offline Modhail

• Lurker
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2016, 09:09:05 PM »
Thank you!

The molds for the wrecks were made with Oyumaru (a reusable thermoplastic molding material). Any greenstuff casts that weren't neat enough to use for the sinking ships were simply cut to bits to serve in the debris markers.
I also discovered I had a small historical ship that included rowboats in my stash, so I made some casts of those as well. Now several of the wreck and debris markers have a single rowboat escaping the demise of the mother vessel.  ;D

And the first batch is done:

With cute little banners: (that were an absolute bear to paint... The banners are roughly 6-7 mm tall!)

Each of the Monitor banners features the symbol for Barak Varr, followed by an icon copied from the original paper banners that came with the Monitors.

Pictures aren't optimal, as I was painting outside and when time came to take pictures I had to choose from deep shadows or glaring bright sun... For some reason the gloss from the varnish on the water is completely gone in the pictures?
Once more of the fleet is complete I'll try to take shots in more controlled/moderate light.

One batch down, on to the next ones.

Offline Stormwind

• Veteran member
  • Ben Sibbald | Newcastle, UK
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2016, 09:36:03 PM »
Beautiful stuff! Every time I see something like this I have a peek on eBay at different fleets. :-X

Dwarves always warmed my heart as I loved iron clads, but things like the High Elves and Dark Elves were inspiring too.
My Personal & Modelling Blog >>http://theancienttrack.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Aquahog

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2016, 09:44:22 PM »
Looking great!

How do you think some cotton or similar stuff would look coming out of the smokestacks?

Offline Grumbledook

• Loc: Uk
    • It's a hobby, not an addiction
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2016, 10:01:34 PM »
Those monitors and nautilii (?) look great, and the your custom churning ocean bases are really effective.

Is there an opposing fleet in the works?

Offline dry_erase

• Loc: London
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2016, 11:04:06 PM »
I really like those bases. The ships are great too, but the bases bring everything to life so well.

Offline Dave

• Mod
    • Loc: Worcester, MA
    • The Epic Gamer
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2016, 03:54:24 AM »
Agreed. How did you model and paint them?

Offline Modhail

• Lurker
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2016, 09:25:18 AM »
Thank you, folks!

Stormwind, I'd like to peek on eBay more often myself, but the prices scare me... :-\

I've thought about cotton wool steam plumes, but as they would get tatty and dirty over time, I've decided against them.

I already had a request for a step-by-step on the bases from someone. Once I make that, I'll post it here as well. The short version is: Plasticard rectangles, artists acrylic paste and (improvised) sculpting tools to make the waves. Paint/drybrush with a choice selection of blues to off-white with a blue-green wash in there. Finish with gloss varnish.

Once I get the squadrons I'm still lacking for my Empire Fleet in my hands, there will be an opposing force. ;D
If I get really lucky maybe someday I can complete my half-of-an Dark Elf fleet too...

Offline cjbennett22

• Loc: Grand Rapids, Michigan
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2016, 12:59:38 AM »
Modhail, where are you located about?  If your close we could meet up for a game and you can show off your minis in person. :). I do love the submerged nautilus!  Beats a square token any day.

Offline Modhail

• Lurker
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2016, 08:31:59 AM »
Thanks for the offer, but seeing your location I'm afraid there's an Atlantic in the way... :'( I live in the Netherlands.