September 13, 2024, 03:15:16 AM

Author Topic: Holofields and Shadowfields vs. Boarding Actions  (Read 2045 times)

Offline Bozeman

• Loc: Lansing, MI
    • Four Strands Hobby
Holofields and Shadowfields vs. Boarding Actions
« on: August 09, 2016, 04:43:47 AM »
Quote from: BFG 2010 FAQ
Holofields and Shadowfields work essentially the same way in all respects. They save against ALL strength-based weapons, Nova Cannon shots, any ordnance attacks and any kind of hit and run attacks, ramming and boarding. Against ramming and boarding, they save once against the ramming or boarding attempt, NOT against any damage suffered if this save fails.

Bold above mine.  My question is this: is the Holofield save made BEFORE or AFTER determining the boarding result?  After all, a good roll by the Eldar player could damage the enemy ship.  Which of the following below sounds correct?

1. Holofield save is made BEFORE the boarding roll.  If successful, the boarding ship is tricked by the holofields to "board" empty space and so no rolls are made, the Boarding Action is cancelled.

2. Holofield save is made AFTER the boarding roll if the Eldar player takes damage.  After all, the Eldar player technically is not taking any damage unless they lose.

I think #1 is correct.  The Holofield saves against the ATTEMPT in the text above.  This means the roll is made when the boarding action begins, and prevents the attempt.

Follow up question: are holofield saves mandatory if an Eldar player initiates the action?  In this case, the attempt is not made AGAINST the Eldar, so I'd say no.  (assume the opponent is not Eldar/Dark Eldar)  This means that if the Eldar board and lose, they get no save!

Offline Lord Borak

• Loc: United Kingdom
Re: Holofields and Shadowfields vs. Boarding Actions
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2016, 07:39:05 AM »
I'd say it happens before. It just makes more sense to me but then I can't say I've had many games of BFG in the last decade.

It will save you no end of time as well if they save Vs the hit at the start as well. Saves all that rolling. ;)

Offline horizon

• Veteran member
  • Destiny Infinity Eternity
Re: Holofields and Shadowfields vs. Boarding Actions
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2016, 07:53:25 AM »
Yeah, before. You save against the attempt. Thus the moment they make contact.

When the Eldar initiate boarding there will  be no holofield save.