August 18, 2024, 07:15:49 PM

Author Topic: Toy's n' That....  (Read 89153 times)

Offline osjclatchford

• Loc: chigwell, essex, uk
Re: Toy's n' That....
« Reply #315 on: July 01, 2019, 07:50:25 PM »
It's truly a shame that 3d print is slowly(?) replacing real talent like yours lordb. But it will never truly. I get the whole "fugly print lines" thing as they are not only annoying but also systemic. Meaning even if you physically file or sand them smooth they are in each successive layer. And due to the unpredictable and unstable nature of the various mediums I've known said print lines to grow back. Yes you read that right GROW back. Like white crusty crystal formations. Oftimes a good paintjob will prevent this. But if left unpainted for a lengthy time a shapeways fud model will be covered in this all over. Also sometimes after painting the model can become oily and shiny even through the paint. Some of my fud printed prows and ships have gone this way inside a storage case... Sad...

Yeah that won't happen to these as they are recasts but. Yeah that's one savage miscast isn't it. Mine were BAD. It's well hidden in his pics... But you know seven quid, two ships and I personally love the design. Oversized or not... Just put them further away? Lol!
2017 Droppod Studios -  A subsidiary of the OSJC

Offline Ragsta

• Loc: Edinburgh
« Reply #316 on: July 02, 2019, 04:53:41 PM »

I prefer the prow you ended up with on that grand cruiser for sure.

I do love a good scratchbuild personally - one day I’ll start a thread here and share my schtuff. 3D printing has it’s place but for now I’ll stuck with the old school (particularly Vanguard once they get round to a few other models).

RT kitbash shaping up nicely, keep me in the loop when you start selling prows as conversion bits  ;)

Offline marell le fou

« Reply #317 on: July 02, 2019, 09:40:01 PM »
Which is a shame in a way, scratch building and sculpting skills could well be lost in the future :( Hell, even hand writing is a lost art nowadays!

Someone told me it was called "evolution"...

I don't think sratchbuild will ever be lost. It's just not the same thing.

And from my point of view, 3D files design IS an artistic and creative hobby. As much as scratchbuild. A different way, but still creation. Check what Malika is doing and you will see what i mean.

Offline Lord Borak

• Loc: United Kingdom
« Reply #318 on: August 05, 2019, 09:26:39 AM »
Well, not much work done on the whole little ship front but I have started work on a Rogue Traders Star Galleon. Early days yet.

I had so many plans for my week off. I was gonna finish the Star Galleon but then life got in the way and so did another project...

He's magnetised at the arm/weapon joints and I have all the weapons for an Atropos, Castigator and Lancer for him. Yes, I had to buy 3 separate Knights from FW for that pleasure but to hells with it. No I just need to find something to do with two spare Cerastus bodies :D

Offline osjclatchford

« Reply #319 on: August 05, 2019, 04:13:17 PM »
bloody tasty. now that galleon, please tell me thats intended to get cast up once done ;)

Offline Stormwind

• Veteran member
  • Ben Sibbald | Newcastle, UK
« Reply #320 on: August 05, 2019, 07:38:57 PM »
Wow that looks amazing!
My Personal & Modelling Blog >>http://theancienttrack.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline marell le fou

« Reply #321 on: August 11, 2019, 11:59:36 PM »
Love the interior ! :)

Offline Lord Borak

« Reply #322 on: August 14, 2019, 06:36:18 PM »
Thanks guys :D

bloody tasty. now that galleon, please tell me thats intended to get cast up once done ;)

Of course!! :D ;)

Update time. Yeah, alright, he still isn't finished but I've just done a 91 hour week so give me a chance!

Todays work was the groin plate and the shin plates. The red looks a little flat in the picture, but it's not, you'll just have to take my word for it :P

Yesterdays work was getting the shoulder plates done. Still undecided about what to put on the black plates on the shoulders....... Ideas?

Also, I know there's something to take away the 'glossy' effect on transfers and make them blend in with the paintwork more but........ What is it?

Offline Stormwind

• Veteran member
« Reply #323 on: August 14, 2019, 06:54:06 PM »
There's the Micro Sol / Micro Set transfer fluids you can buy.  Haven't tried them myself but had people sing their praises in many a forum!

Offline Malika

• Loc: Netherlands
    • Bits Blitz
« Reply #324 on: August 14, 2019, 07:53:51 PM »
Woaaaaah!
Bits Blitz - the place to be for all your bits needs!

Offline osjclatchford

« Reply #325 on: August 15, 2019, 05:35:41 PM »
Noice! Love the freehand. Beautiful finish on all this model to he honest...

Offline Lord Borak

« Reply #326 on: August 16, 2019, 02:25:50 PM »
Hurrah! Shin plates are done! Quite happy with how this is turning out. I usually hate painting large models and they always end up being a chore to build and paint but this is anything but!

I still need to highlight the gold on the knee and thigh armour. Also planning on doing something on the knee pads, no idea what though. I'm also unsure if I need to add anything to the chest armour. Does it need anything? If so, what?

Offline andys

• Loc: UK
« Reply #327 on: August 16, 2019, 04:45:56 PM »
I'm sure I'm not the only person here who, when it comes to your painting skills, can say, hand on heart, that I hate you!  ;)

Offline Lord Borak

« Reply #328 on: August 16, 2019, 05:49:02 PM »
I can say, hand on heart, that I hate you!  ;)

You sound like my wife.....  ;D

But thanks! Think, from advice elsewhere, that I will leave the chest free of any further details (bar the little eagle). I'm not sure about the knees though. I feel like they need something.... but I'm worried the model will end up looking to 'busy'.

Offline Stormwind

• Veteran member
« Reply #329 on: August 17, 2019, 12:27:02 PM »
Absolutely stunning work