August 18, 2024, 09:17:44 AM

Author Topic: Toy's n' That....  (Read 89105 times)

Offline Lord Borak

• Loc: United Kingdom
Re: Toy's n' That....
« Reply #450 on: March 07, 2021, 10:18:35 AM »
Yes mate, the Warlord is going to be done White and Purple. Once I decide on what panels to do what colour. I was thinking a somewhat opposite scheme to the other Warlord. So white shoulders and maybe a Purple Torso? I dunno. I should really add checks and or Chevrons to them but I cant decide if it will work or not. White and Purple chevrons? Hmmm...... Would yellow and black chevrons be out of place on them?

Haha, yes mate. It's pure nostalgia! I have no idea to be honest. It seemed like a good idea to be honest and the other Cacti were a fair bit of effort so I needed something simpler. They're just little balls of green stuff with paper slip stuck into the bigger ones for spikes. So basically Zero effort. Painting is just Moot Green, Beil tan wash. Then stippled with Moot Green, Scorpion Green and the Bilious Green (old GW colours). Its the same way I do the lenses, plasma and glow effects on the titans to it helps tie the force together......... well..... That's my logic anyway.

After your surprise present of 8mm marines I went and bought a load of Guardsmen from Vanguard to put on my bases. I like the idea of putting infantry on the bases to give a sense of scale. With the occasional Marine Squad thrown in :D

Offline osjclatchford

• Loc: chigwell, essex, uk
« Reply #451 on: March 08, 2021, 07:58:44 AM »
yellow,black, purple and white work real well together. in a way thats actually surprising. it sounds odd when you say it but is common in nature enough that your eye just excepts it:

oh yeah, I was saying that I prefer the tall thin cacti better. are they wire and greenstuff?

and the addition of guard on the base will add some real scale for sure. I mean, a cactus can be all sorts of sizes but a man sized detail sets it straight, doesnt it.

gonna be great...
« Last Edit: March 08, 2021, 08:02:59 AM by osjclatchford »
2017 Droppod Studios -  A subsidiary of the OSJC

Offline Lord Borak

« Reply #452 on: March 08, 2021, 12:45:06 PM »
Good shout. I'll see if I can do the odd armour panel in black and yellow chevrons and see how it works out. I can always strip it if i hate it. Not that it will happen any time soon as I'm cracking on with some spare Weapons for the Warlord at the moment. 2 Volcano Cannons and carapace Gatling cannons as well as 2 Gatling cannons for the reavers!!

Those ones ae just bits of paper clips bent into shape and then covered in green stuff! They're a bit fiddly and I'm running out of ways to swear at Cacti....

Yeah! Man I love the Vanguard stuff. The little Urban Guardsmen are awesome and I cant wait to paint up the little quadbikers!! I keep telling myself that they need to wait until I'm done with the 2nd Warlord but, who am I kidding?

Offline osjclatchford

« Reply #453 on: March 08, 2021, 02:48:33 PM »
lols, Ive give up on "keep telling myself" anything these days. strange times and anything goes.
who the hell am I to tell me anything anyway? lol

I was saying 'thats it' on the sharks till I get either primaris bikes or heavy intercessors.

then I dug out that 2nd ed guy for you and started thinking... this model is just so iconic, (what with untold versions of it I've painted over the centuries and the statue of it at gw and all) can I make this pose (or similar) in primaris/truescale?
and then it started to spiral from there...  :-[

I'll say no more spoiler than that but, I think I caught it just in time to stop me buying more unneeded stuff... ;) I'll post the 'results' on the sharky thread when they're done anyway, you know that...

but yeah, I digress.
do love those cacti and the suffering is worth the result imho.
I do indeed adore the quality of the vanguard epic infantry. the detail is absurdly good in comparison to the 90's gw plastics and so much variation in pose and armour etc. the thunderhawk proxies are clearly calling to be added to your, already, titanic* force as air support though surely ;) (*pun intended)

Offline Lord Borak

« Reply #454 on: March 11, 2021, 06:35:04 PM »
Not much of an update. I've done some new weapons for the Warlord and a bit of scenery.

Because NO ONE WILL EVER SEE THIS!! I've taken a picture to show off the detail........... because no one will ever see it in games. I'll know it's there. Which is enough.... I think?

Thanks for OSJC!! I got my hands on that 2nd ED Marine and another kindly donation of some 3d printed marines. Some old bases, some plasticard and Boom! A quick and easy chapel.

Offline osjclatchford

« Reply #455 on: March 11, 2021, 08:45:46 PM »
you're welcome, that looks great Lord B.
god I love those 2nd ed's done as bronze statues ever since I saw it in a wd on a cake pillar...
to find out that nottingham have one outside? blew my mind when first went there!

Offline timdp

• Loc: Northern California, USA
« Reply #456 on: March 17, 2021, 04:13:01 PM »
Love those weapons!

And regarding the chapel: "All your base are belong to us."  :D

Offline Lord Borak

« Reply #457 on: April 05, 2021, 12:07:50 PM »
Thanks chaps! :D

I've not had much chance to do any hobby of late but I managed to get some bits done over the Easter weekend (now I'm back to work for seven eleven hour shifts on the bounce!).

I've built 3 Reavers, 2 for the white Lego and 1 for the Yellow Legio. This wee chappy is the 3rd Reaver for the Yellow boys!! I cobbled some Carapace Mega Bolters out of some spare Warlord ones I had kicking about. I kinda like them........ kinda.

I also managed to get some knights finished. These are all ebay rescue jobs so I'm not claiming responsibility for the non centred barrels lol. They're just gaming models so I'm not that fussed about them.

I'd like to get these boys some Armigers and expand them into a 1000 point force. But that's a ways off yet as I want to get my next White Legio maniple done first.

Offline Stormwind

• Veteran member
  • Ben Sibbald | Newcastle, UK
« Reply #458 on: April 08, 2021, 12:44:30 PM »
Super solid work.  Hazard stripes are hard to paint and I love the alien cacti!
My Personal & Modelling Blog >>http://theancienttrack.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline horizon

• Mod
  • Veteran member
  • Destiny Infinity Eternity
« Reply #459 on: April 11, 2021, 05:09:01 PM »
Impressive. Most impressive.

Offline Lord Borak

« Reply #460 on: April 16, 2021, 06:59:19 PM »
Thank you very much chaps :)

I didn't have the willpower to work on the 'white titans' this week. So smashed out another Reaver for Legio CARIOSUS (oh, yes! They have a name!!!!)

Fallo Amans (Jilted Lover)

Familly Pic!

Offline osjclatchford

« Reply #461 on: April 17, 2021, 09:03:58 AM »
legio 'ramshakle', lols...

nice work on this group of titans. I love the consistancy across the models. yet its great to see how much induviduality and character they retain... you can get a sense of the personality of each princeps from each model...
perhaps thats just my overactie imagination, but if so its bechuse these models fire it up!
great convesions, great paintjobs and nice work as far as 'rescuing' the ebay gear...

more please!  :P

Offline Lord Borak

« Reply #462 on: April 18, 2021, 11:17:27 AM »
Haha, good old Google Translate eh? I quite liked the translation so it stuck. Now I just need to come up with a name for my White Legio.  ::)

Thanks mate. I'm glad they've got character speaking for them :D I liked the idea that they use old battle damage to identify each other rather than any sort of egotistical heraldry. "Scars define us" sort of ethos.  I don't know why I went with a uniformed scheme. I kinda regret it but oh well!

I'm currently working on a Nemesis to round out the force to 2000pts. Gonna give it a big old plasma cannon (see link) on top instead of it's Quake Cannon.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Warlord-Titan-Adeptus-Titanicus-Plasma-Cannon-Carapace-Weapon-Upgrade-pack-of-2/174724600223?hash=item28ae65d19f:g:-58AAOSwdf1gbzvl

Offline Lord Borak

« Reply #463 on: April 19, 2021, 10:56:43 AM »
This is Rubigo Situla and is still somewhat WIP. I'm not sure what to put in place of the Flak Cannons. I like the mortars on the Warmaster so may well do something like that. I'm not sure. The plasma reactor things at the back in place of the Quake shell magazines are temporary until I think of something better.

Offline Lord Borak

« Reply #464 on: April 29, 2021, 05:22:00 PM »
Like a big kid, I couldn't resist building this guy and starting to paint it. I had told myself it would be my reward for finishing the next maniple. But who was I kidding? Of course I was going to do him next!! He was easy enoigh to build but it was a long process. It took me 2 days to build him and 34 (yes, thirty four) magnets!!!

(top right panel will be purple)

Next to a Reaver just to show the scale of this BEAST

I have also started work on the Warbringer. It's just leadbelcher and washes as the moment.