August 18, 2024, 01:20:45 PM

Author Topic: Toy's n' That....  (Read 89126 times)

Offline Lord Borak

• Loc: United Kingdom
Re: Toy's n' That....
« Reply #390 on: October 02, 2020, 09:55:26 PM »
Thanks, glad you like the paint job! :D

I've seen similar poses on T'interwebs and wanted to do my own running Reaver. Although I am kinda regretting not doing my original plan and having him pining a Warhound to the floor with his foot and ripping its head off. 

I'm thinking of having him as sort of a 'shattered' legion Titan. So either his Legio was wiped out or it turned traitor and he's joined up with other loyal forces to enact hit and run and vengeance strikes on the enemy. However, as he has little to no support to call on I'm going to give him sort of a salvaged appearance, as if he's pinched armour plates and maybe even limbs from other titans. No idea what colour scheme I'll use as a base though, ideas?

Offline osjclatchford

• Loc: chigwell, essex, uk
« Reply #391 on: October 03, 2020, 07:19:43 AM »
You could do the classic gw warlord titan colour of a pale olive green? Then the alternate limbs could be done in Grey's and perhaps bone/beige colours that are on the same tonal range as the green. That way it would still look slightly disperate but not too rag tag... Got to keep the eye focused on the head...

Also the whole "ripping and tearing an enemy" rarely looks good on models imho. It's more of a diorama thing and often takes away from the model you want to show off... But that's just my opinion. I feel there the sort of thing that beginners love to do but rarely execute well. However. A man of your talents could very likely manage it but it feels a bit cringe to me...
« Last Edit: October 04, 2020, 01:56:39 PM by osjclatchford »
2017 Droppod Studios -  A subsidiary of the OSJC

Offline Lord Borak

« Reply #392 on: October 04, 2020, 09:02:58 AM »
Well, I'm not overly fussed about a rag tag appearance but I will try and keep it some what coherent. I do want a patched up war-torn appearance. I was thinking the Carapace weapon could be done a military Camo, as if the crew had salvaged it from a turret or something?

You're probably right about the pose, I just haven't grown out of that stage yet :D Another idea that popped into my head was to do one wielding a crane as a club

Offline Lord Borak

« Reply #393 on: October 21, 2020, 05:27:39 PM »
Right, it's been a while since I did any meaningful painting but I've managed to get the two Reavers ' almost done' (yeah, ok, I need to actually do the guns). I haven't done the writing yet and I'm still deciding on names. (Weapons and names are tomorrows/Friday's job). The pictures turned out rubbish and these are the best of the blurry bunch so I'll take some decent pictures tomorrow when the scripture is done.... but you get the idea.

I also decided on a colour scheme for my Blackshield Reaver. I'm some sort of masochist it seems when it comes to choosing colour schemes apparently... Still a long way to go but I'm getting there.

Offline horizon

• Mod
  • Veteran member
  • Destiny Infinity Eternity
« Reply #394 on: October 21, 2020, 07:14:15 PM »
Yellow is good.

Offline osjclatchford

« Reply #395 on: October 22, 2020, 07:34:42 AM »
Emperor's oath, that yellow is fantastic! Also kudos on getting bsuch neat checks on the burgundy... Truly blindin!

Offline Lord Borak

« Reply #396 on: October 22, 2020, 05:39:41 PM »
Thanks guys. Haha, the Yellow? It's 3 washes and 2 highlights ;) But I'll take the praise  ::) ;D

As promised, some less blurry pics and the reavers now have names!! Been ages since I did script work. I am both appalled at how rusty I've become but also happy with the results..... is that normal?

Ultima Nuntius (Last Messenger)

Sol Alba (White Sun)

Offline Lord Borak

« Reply #397 on: November 06, 2020, 12:33:37 PM »
I put 2 watered down washes of Sepia over the yellow and it has toned it down a fair deal. However the camera still loves brightening it up and dulling down the red.... So I've giving up trying to sort that out! She's finished, well, apart for some minor details that I've just noticed. The car on the base isn't painted nor is it even stuck on!

I started work on some scenery (buildings, roads and hills). Nothing too fancy. the buildings will have bases and I need to make some more road sections as well but its enough for a 4x4 board..

Me: I'm not going to spend too much time on scenery...
Also Me: Spends 2 hours painting Nuka Cola signs....

I also picked up some little Z guage railway cars and trucks to give a sense of scale.....

The trucks and cars scale pretty well I think. Maybe not perfect but they'll do. I've finsihed the White and Purple Reavers/Warhounds and I'm just finishing off their bases. So expect pictures of those tomorrow :D

Offline horizon

• Mod
  • Veteran member
« Reply #398 on: November 06, 2020, 12:43:48 PM »
Cool.  8)

Offline osjclatchford

« Reply #399 on: November 06, 2020, 03:34:47 PM »
Wow those cars and trucks do so much for scale... Fantastic work B!

Offline Lord Borak

« Reply #400 on: November 07, 2020, 02:17:43 PM »
Thanks guys! Seriously trying very hard not to go mad on scenery at the moment.  :o I want to loads of tiny bill boards like my Necromunda board.

Anyway, as promised some based Titans! Although I feel they're a bit monotone and boring. Do you think I should add something to them? If so, what?

Offline timdp

• Loc: Northern California, USA
« Reply #401 on: November 07, 2020, 05:12:14 PM »
Great stuff!

Offline horizon

• Mod
  • Veteran member
« Reply #402 on: November 07, 2020, 09:55:46 PM »
Good job again. As for the monotone aspect one thing which would look, be a bit impractical, but hey, would be a regal banner hanging down from the shoulder pad.

Offline osjclatchford

« Reply #403 on: November 09, 2020, 01:31:25 PM »
if you mean the bases looking monotone, (I assume you are as the titans are anything but monotone nor boring) I think leave them as-is. it adds to the scale. any real level of detail would be lost at that size. the earthy colours of the dessert blending smoothly and gently, just as you've already achieved rather than any added stark contrasts or whatever.
So, just my two-pennith but I'd say they're fine...
« Last Edit: November 09, 2020, 01:33:41 PM by osjclatchford »

Offline Lord Borak

« Reply #404 on: November 09, 2020, 08:19:13 PM »
Thanks guys. Well, I'll leave them as is then. I think the next ones I'll add some more variations in rock sizes and try to make the bases les 'flat' with some filler. That should hopefully make the bases more interesting.

I have started the Warlord. God this thing is a beast in terms of detail. I spent about 5 hours blending the White from Ulthuan grey to pure skull white but the pics make it look like it's just been sprayed white lol. Oh well..... The pictures are more to prove I've actually been working on something :D

Oh, and some Reaver weapons snuck into the picture there as well. So there's proof I have actually finished something else. (please excuse the messy paint station!)

« Last Edit: November 09, 2020, 08:27:34 PM by Lord Borak »