August 18, 2024, 07:23:29 PM

Author Topic: Toy's n' That....  (Read 89159 times)

Offline Lord Borak

• Loc: United Kingdom
Re: Toy's n' That....
« Reply #300 on: May 30, 2019, 09:52:43 PM »
Well, yes, the fist isn't for everyone. It's for one person actually and he loves it. So as far as I'm concerned, mission achieved :P

I've been away for a few days so will get cracking on the Dominator Prow over the weekend. Then I'm going to start something a little special ;)

Offline osjclatchford

• Loc: chigwell, essex, uk
« Reply #301 on: May 31, 2019, 06:35:54 AM »
Something a bit special! Like the rest of this isn't already?  ;)
2017 Droppod Studios -  A subsidiary of the OSJC

Offline Lord Borak

« Reply #302 on: June 15, 2019, 12:24:05 AM »
Wuhoooooooo The forum is back up! What's going on??

Made a new prow for the Transporter. No idea why I didn't make a prow like this before but, meh, its done now and off to the casters with the Battleship bits. Also if anyone was wondering there's a scale shot of it next to a Dauntless.

I've also 'finished' the Tyrant. Still not sure about the antennae on the weapon batteries. Kinda looks Chaosy..... Should I remove them?

Offline Ragsta

• Loc: Edinburgh
« Reply #303 on: June 15, 2019, 02:10:40 PM »
I’m inclined to leave the antenna - they accentuate the ships hull sides. If they come off it might end up seeming a bit skinny?  ???

I like that transport prow, will you be putting that into the set you’re selling or separately? If separate prows are on the horizon that would be awesome- I have slow burn plans for an upgraded fleet.

EDIT: Having looked again I can see where you’re coming from actually - looks good either way and it’s all about what sits best with you!
« Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 02:51:21 PM by Ragsta »

Offline Lord Borak

« Reply #304 on: June 16, 2019, 03:53:24 PM »
Yeah, I'm worried about it being skinny. Or just to bland. But at the same time...... It's quite a chaosy profile.

Right, another rescue attempt. I had two cruiser hulls in seriously bad repair. One was missing the entire front section and both had bits cut out of the hull. Rather than chuck them I decided to cobble together a Furious class grand cruiser.

Thoughts? Colour scheme ideas? Thinking bronze with a red prow.

Offline osjclatchford

« Reply #305 on: June 16, 2019, 07:11:58 PM »
Nice but tbh I don't like that rettie prow on that cruiser. It seems out of scale and actually makes the ship look smaller (perhaps that's because I'm used to seeing it on something longer?) One of your own bs prows would suit better...

Offline Lord Borak

« Reply #306 on: June 17, 2019, 10:33:21 AM »
I saw what you meant so changed the prow. Luckily, spare prows I seem to have in abundance nowadays!

Offline Malika

• Loc: Netherlands
    • Bits Blitz
« Reply #307 on: June 17, 2019, 11:35:26 AM »
Very sleek!
Bits Blitz - the place to be for all your bits needs!

Offline osjclatchford

« Reply #308 on: June 17, 2019, 06:55:17 PM »
Ah man that's tasty. That prow is spot on. Is it wrong I want one of these now too..?

Offline marell le fou

« Reply #309 on: June 18, 2019, 09:47:51 PM »
Prew seem a little bit small to me, compared to ship size ? But i like it, anyway.

Offline Lord Borak

« Reply #310 on: June 30, 2019, 12:12:10 PM »
Right, well, I changed the prow again :P I feel this is probably about the right size and if it isn't I'm certainly not changing it now!!! It Looks a bit boring I think so might go and add some different colours here and there (no idea where). Although I still need to do those little heraldry shield things on the prow - which will be white and red. I wanted to to look like an old, battered ship come out of the reserve fleet. Kinda worked bit still looks boring.

Also managed to do a little Patrol section for my upcoming fleet.

Next up is this little ship. A combination of about 4 different sets. Think I'm gonna go with a white and gold scheme for this fellow as it's meant to be a Rogue Trader ship.

Offline osjclatchford

« Reply #311 on: June 30, 2019, 06:18:41 PM »
Noice! I see you bought some of those light cruiser kits off eBay from Russia too eh? Just FYI it's a recast of admgr's light cruiser over on shapeways. Cheaper this way that's for sure... I got two for my fleet. One to replace The endeavour of that format I already had (in the hideous lo Res medium) and one to be an endurance class... All awaiting paint at the mo.  Like what you did there. The prow suits that ship for sure. RT jobby is inspired!

Offline Lord Borak

« Reply #312 on: June 30, 2019, 09:29:28 PM »
Yes mate. I bought two of them to be Endeavours in my Armageddon fleet but they're far, far to big to be light cruisers. The Prows are bigger than the normal cruisers and the whole ship is almost as long as a normal cruiser. So I was somewhat disappointed by them, especially as they both have a miscast on them :( The RT ship was a proper hacksaw job. I used both weapon bays from the two Light cruisers and the Engine section.

I'm not impressed by 3D printed things to be honest. The texture always seem rough and you can see the lines on them.

Offline marell le fou

« Reply #313 on: June 30, 2019, 10:38:23 PM »
Fabulous as is ! I think it's really better than the previous one.

As for the prints with 3D Printers, i have seen some exceptionnaly thing prints, and frankly you can't see any line. But well, it's still a recent technology. We can expect an improvement in the quality on the further months.

3D printed is the futur of our hobby. Clearly.

Offline Lord Borak

« Reply #314 on: July 01, 2019, 10:29:08 AM »
Aye, it probably is the future of creation. Which is a shame in a way, scratch building and sculpting skills could well be lost in the future :( Hell, even hand writing is a lost art nowadays!

Until the 3D printing creates a nice smooth finish though, I'll stick with scratch building and plasticard! :D Glad you like the new Prow though.

On a random note. The Additional Ships compendium. Was there one release by GW? I found an 'original' but it seems like it was released before the 'Yellow book'. So the points are a bit off.