October 08, 2024, 01:17:18 AM

Author Topic: Ratmen range  (Read 5508 times)

Offline kyussinchains

• Mod
Ratmen range
« on: June 02, 2016, 03:21:33 PM »
I'm currently looking into the possibility of getting some 10mm scale ratmen commissioned, rather like Dave has done with his Landsknecht range. I was thinking along the lines of getting some basic rat warriors sculpted (probably 6 strips of 2 models with extra banner and musician models for 14 different sculpts in total)

the idea would be that if there was sufficient interest (maybe via a small kickstarter/crowdfunding campaign) I would look to reinvest the funds into producing further model lines (pestilence-fanatics, snipers, rat-trolls etc)

I'm looking to have some test sculpts commissioned in the next couple of months when my sculptor has finished his current project commitments, and the models will definitely be an appropriate size to mix in with existing ranges

what thoughts do people have? is this something people will get behind?
Best 6mm site on the net: Tactical command forum

my hobby blog: full of 6mm goodness

Home of Epic: Armageddon on the web

Offline Aquahog

Re: Ratmen range
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2016, 06:13:49 PM »
Sure if they look good, anything to promote the production of compatible miniatures. I wouldn't support it as heavily as the landsknecht range since I already own a massive ratman army but four units each of the common stuff would be interesting.

Offline Tiberius

• Loc: Anaheim, CA
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2016, 06:52:11 PM »
I would be somewhat interested, but not hugely, maybe a unit or two of each set (if they are quality!).  I'd like to have maybe 1,000 points worth someday, but that's about it.  They are more on my "eventually" list of armies, not the "up next" list.

I'd probably be willing to be minor contributor.

Offline mlkr

• Loc: Sweden
Ratmen range
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2016, 07:19:43 PM »
I probably wont be a contributor in the beginning but maybe later. Too much orcs to paint 0_o

I've have however done a little thinking on these new lines of miniatures being created -

Would it not be better to start with characterpacks?

Characters are great for showcasing the coming range - on foot, on horse, different weapons and so on?

Also - most of us are probably going to use these for existing games and might already have existing armies for them. More characters for variation is always cool though. I will always buy more OnG-characters ;)

It would probably meen fewer packs per buyer but hopefully more buyers? Still not same amounts and that might of course result in no profit and no new sculpts...

Just brainstorming. Anyways - Great initiative and if they turn out nice I can prolly build a little on my mountain ;)

/Mlkr
//Swedish BB & WM-player.

Offline jchaos79

• Veteran member
    • Loc: Vigo, Galicia, Spain
    • Fortunes of war
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2016, 07:39:07 PM »
Now I am starting to paint a ratmen army. Luckely I did not buy magister millitum ratmen, so I only have one or two of each GW reference and a little pendraken. This means I will contribute with any idea you develop.

Offline Dave

• Mod
    • Loc: Worcester, MA
    • The Epic Gamer
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2016, 07:49:03 PM »
Sales (and thus profits) for character packs would be limited. Each army needs what? 1-3 character packs to make it work? As opposed to 4+ of most other units.

Offline andys

• Loc: UK
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2016, 09:04:32 PM »
Magister Militum's approach to fantasy character packs seems a low cost method. For example their Goblin pack has a couple of wizards on foot (the same sculpt) and a mounted wizard, the rest are basic command figures, standard bearers and officer types from the infantry/cavalry packs. There's also one giant spider for a general or hero, with the figure coming from the mounted spider pack - so a basic figure repurposed as a character.

So to create a decent character pack for Dave's range, for example, he'd only have to commission a couple of wizards and perhaps a mounted general?

Of course, to get to that point, you need a decent number of basic command figures already sculpted. Without those, yes, it wouldn't be very viable.

Once you've got a range of figures, you might then consider selling individual ones, like Pendraken does. This would generate a few more sales. But how much of a drain on an individual's time that might be is another matter entirely!
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 09:07:58 PM by andys »

Offline marell le fou

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2016, 09:21:00 PM »
I would not be interested because i don't play this army but i will relay the information on the french forum just now.

My opinion : Skavens already have diversity with GW range, so don't hope to much on the "i will take one unit just to change the appearance".

But you will surely have people interested to begin or enhance their armies.

I mean the main interest will be in number, units themselves... Not in a beautifull character.

So i would say you should bid more on producing units than characters.

I would say at first : Clan rats, swarms, Stormvermin.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 10:53:25 PM by marell le fou »

Offline Duvelescu

• Lurker
    • Loc: Belgique
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2016, 10:07:33 PM »
I could be interested. Keep us on the touch please.

Regards

Offline dry_erase

• Loc: London
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2016, 11:21:10 PM »
It's one of my "eventually" lists, but I'm keen to support these sort of initiatives, so I'd certainly buy a few units each time - maybe more.

Offline Gilles Guerrier

• Lurker
    • Loc: Roussillon France
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2016, 12:51:11 AM »
Arghhhh.... My money  .....

Interrested ! ! !

Offline Vermis

• Mini Sculpture
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2016, 03:52:05 PM »
I'd be interested. I'd just ask you to tell your sculptor to look at rats for reference, not monkey-dogs. ;)

Offline kyussinchains

• Mod
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2016, 08:10:18 PM »
Seems like there is a bit of interest, I'll get my test sculpts commissioned and go from there....
Best 6mm site on the net: Tactical command forum

my hobby blog: full of 6mm goodness

Home of Epic: Armageddon on the web

Offline Aquahog

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2016, 11:15:25 PM »
Good stuff!

Offline marell le fou

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2016, 09:38:06 PM »
I think it's the right decision. Do you have the name and maybe samples of the sculptor's work ?