October 04, 2024, 10:21:04 AM

Author Topic: 10mm (Back to work!) Fantasy Funfest  (Read 34011 times)

Offline industrialtrousers

• Loc: Londinium
Re: 10mm (question time) Fantasy Funfest
« Reply #90 on: October 11, 2016, 11:06:23 PM »
In answer to your first question regarding the half ogres I think those numbers should be about right. Frankly I like them more than the kickstarter ogre sculpts. If you can alter the weapons on a couple of those poses and whack on a chain mail vest on one and a wolf pelt (jackals pelt?) on another then it can alter the appearance enough to make it look different even if the pose is the same. Hope that makes sense I'm a bit sleepy.

Archers are a std unit so probably the next logical step but the elite guards sound like more fun to me. Rock hard mustachioed veterans. There's a picture somewhere of a regiment of renown , here we go this one. Love that eunuch champion.

My 2 cents
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 11:25:49 PM by industrialtrousers »

Offline jchaos79

• Veteran member
    • Loc: Vigo, Galicia, Spain
    • Fortunes of war
« Reply #91 on: October 13, 2016, 06:21:39 PM »
That's an awesome response Jchaos, have you been planning this for a while? Thanks for putting in so much time into your post.

It was fun. When I painted my historical araby army I spent some time thinking in araby generic fantasy list, so it was already in my head, just some certain image google searches and some copy paste from photobucket.

I really like the idea of having a 40 thieves type unit, they'd be great for an infiltration type unit.

8)

I've definitely been thinking along the same lines with elemental Djinns. Something I've been toying with is an Arabian style Landship, perhaps using Air Elemental Djinns bound to it to keep it racing around popping little cannons off.

In the new manowar (dreadfleet) there is a boat with some djinn blowing the sail. I think is a cool concept.

I really want to portray this Fantasy Arabian culture as a real economic and cultural powerhouse , as opposed to the somewhat limited scope they are given in the fluff. I picture it as being being a mix of Arab Golden Age, Achaemenid & Sassanid splendour and Ottoman grandure. In my mind the great cities of the merchant princes, viziers and satraps would be an amalgam of Constantinople, Isfahan, old Baghdad and Seville.

Yep indeed. I think fantasy araby is already very influential for renaissance ottoman turk, or to be accurate, IMO fantasy araby army is influenced by the romantic XIX century vision of renaissance ottoman turk (arabian nights / one thousand and one night). And these can fit well with Iranids culture (pre islamic) as you mention above. It is a really interesting army full of details and rich in sources.

Thanks again for sharing all the inspiration, and I'm glad my ideas aren't far from the mark. I really need to look into that Berserk comic, I love the Sultan - battlefield portable peacock throne anyone? I also thought that the half ogres I'm working on would probably fit into the summoned demon role perhaps.

If you want to take a look to berserk comic, here you can find the whole comic
http://www.mangareader.net/berserk/303

About half ogres, yes defenetiviley they are very interesting figures, as half ogres, big bodyguards or summoned demons.

About the sultan portable peacock, have you take a look to Matt's Kublain khan (the winner painting competion in open base )?
http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,11625.0.html

Anyway, almost too many ideas and all my time has been spent teaching life drawing from 9a.m. to 6p.m. Gets a bit of a strain keeping students interested after two solid weeks, but I get some sketching in when doing examples - which I'll be popping up on the blog hopefully tonight.

Those are only inspiration. A lot of exotic ideas, but as you said somewhere, probably the best seller are archers.  About archers I can imagine different aproaches:

- One aproach is dark age (VII -X century AC) historical aproach: some light mail archer, with helmet, no turban and mail mask. Byzantine influenced. A look similar to katafracti horsemen or sassanid bowmen. And composite bow of course.

- Other aproach is more "ottoman turk / arabian nights" style, with no armour, turbant and composite bow. Vest, naked chest, Point tip shoes and harem pants. They could be similar to the WM araby stuff.

- The last approach is the typical archers with long dress, but I think there are enough historical figures that fit that description

« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 06:26:28 PM by jchaos79 »

Offline marell le fou

« Reply #92 on: October 13, 2016, 10:40:36 PM »
Those carpets are wonderfull !

Offline Grumbledook

• Loc: Uk
    • It's a hobby, not an addiction
« Reply #93 on: October 19, 2016, 10:08:23 PM »
Jchaos: Those Magic carpets look brilliant! and the archers look great too. There are certainly lots of ideas to process and I'm looking forward to the challenge. Let's face it, this isn't going to be a short term project but I hope possible customers won't mind the gradual release of units as it fits into my regular work schedule.

A little update! Standard Bearer finished and the Musician turned out to be quite fun to sculpt! Just need to get a bit of decoration on the front of his turban and he'll be ready.

So that means I can lavish attention on the half-ogres. I've added some armour to the first one, finished the second one, and am starting a third:

Just another five or so of them to sculpt. Hmmmm.

Thanks for looking!

Offline Grumbledook

Re: 10mm (Update time) Fantasy Funfest
« Reply #94 on: October 21, 2016, 08:27:02 PM »
I finally bit the bullet and decided to paint the test cast of my fantasy 10mm Arabian, and here are the results!

I've popped a couple of the Polar Fox Goblins next to him, because I haven't got any singly painted humans knocking about. I'm quite pleased with how he turned out, it's basically the first time I've painted something I've sculpted so it's been quite reassuring that he looks pretty respectable.

Anyways, I thought you'd like to see a painted up sample. Just need to finish the half-ogres then I can start to seriously look at the first products of the range.

Thanks for looking.

Offline dry_erase

• Loc: London
Re: 10mm (Update time) Fantasy Funfest
« Reply #95 on: October 21, 2016, 10:25:21 PM »
I finally bit the bullet and decided to paint the test cast of my fantasy 10mm Arabian, and here are the results!

Lovely. They're going to look so good in massed ranks.

Offline jchaos79

• Veteran member
    • Fortunes of war
Re: 10mm (Painted sample) Fantasy Funfest
« Reply #96 on: October 22, 2016, 09:24:10 AM »
wow great work. As I said, I can only see the work of a profesional sculptor there.

Offline fredmans

• Loc: Stockholm, Sweden
« Reply #97 on: October 24, 2016, 04:15:13 PM »
Fantastic modelling and painting. Loved your google-fu for arabic inspiration!

/Fredmans

Offline Stormwind

• Veteran member
  • Ben Sibbald | Newcastle, UK
« Reply #98 on: October 24, 2016, 06:01:52 PM »
Very nice!
My Personal & Modelling Blog >>http://theancienttrack.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Meraklis

« Reply #99 on: October 25, 2016, 07:24:14 AM »
great work! keep it up!

Offline Ole

• TTT
    • Loc: Hamburg
« Reply #100 on: October 25, 2016, 04:27:09 PM »
stunning!

But our princess is in another castle!

Offline Grumbledook

« Reply #101 on: October 25, 2016, 07:29:34 PM »
Thanks once again for the kind words chaps, more half ogrs on the go and I've started a 10mm Vampire (classic Bela Lugosi style with the slick hair, but will probably give him a weapn of some sort) to act as a boss type baddie for dungeon crawls.

Today though, something a little different. A couple of ruins made from cork with old CDs for the bases. They are inteded to be low level cover and the like, providing 'rooms' in an adventure through an ancient city or whatever. Need some sand and a simple paintjob, but I hope to show some actual finished scenic item soon!

First picture is with  10mm and the second with a 15mm figure, just to show some versatility is scale (one of the great advantages of crumbled ruins!).

Cheers for looking.

Offline marell le fou

Re: 10mm (Messin around with scenery again) Fantasy Funfest
« Reply #102 on: October 25, 2016, 10:55:37 PM »
Hey, really nice !!

It will be grass on the floor level or water ?

Offline Grumbledook

« Reply #103 on: October 26, 2016, 09:59:55 PM »
I really wanted to give them a watery base, so it has the appearance of a sunken city or half buried in a bog. But I haven't a clue how to do it well so I've just gone ahead and put sand on the bases which will be muddy ground with grass tufts.

But wow, a dungeoncrawl using sections of corridor and rooms sticking out of water would be awesome. Research time!

Offline jchaos79

• Veteran member
    • Fortunes of war
« Reply #104 on: October 27, 2016, 10:49:34 PM »
River trolls will be happy in that dungeon