October 04, 2024, 12:14:41 PM

Author Topic: 10mm (Back to work!) Fantasy Funfest  (Read 34018 times)

Offline Stormwind

• Veteran member
  • Ben Sibbald | Newcastle, UK
Re: 10mm (Arabian Captain finally finished) Fantasy Funfest
« Reply #60 on: August 23, 2016, 11:50:00 PM »
These are looking gorgeous!
My Personal & Modelling Blog >>http://theancienttrack.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Meraklis

« Reply #61 on: August 25, 2016, 09:52:00 AM »
excellent work! I hope you start casting them sooner or later so I can get my greedy hands on them :)

Offline empireaddict

• Loc: UK East Midlands
« Reply #62 on: August 25, 2016, 10:18:56 PM »
Really like the Arabian spearmen.  I would definitely buy some of them.
"I cannot believe you when you say [your friend] has identical plastic boxes for his armies, all color coded [...] Don't you think that is being little obsessive?"
"Yes, but not enough to scare us wargamers."
Larry Leadhead (2004)

Offline Grumbledook

• Loc: Uk
    • It's a hobby, not an addiction
« Reply #63 on: August 27, 2016, 01:10:19 AM »
Thank you all for the kind comments! It really is a bit of a labour of love and It's great to be getting such positive feedback.

Just a quickie of some WIPs:

Another spearman in progress on the left (unfortunately my less than astounding camera and harsh lighting have drowned out any details) and my two gradually forming beefy troll-like things are taking shape in the middle.

@dry-erase: I've popped in an Ottoman commander from Pendraken since it's the only historical range I own. I also did some measuring with a digital thingy to give more of an idea of size which are take from the foot to the eye:

Pendraken Ottoman Commander: 9.67mm

GW Araby: 10.1mm

My efforts: 10.81mm

Warmonger Landsknecht: 10.87mm (one of the bigger figures from the Halberdiers set, which I love)

Also, the Turbans seem to add a good couple of mm  :D Hope this helps a bit.

Thanks for looking.

Offline jchaos79

• Veteran member
    • Loc: Vigo, Galicia, Spain
    • Fortunes of war
Re: 10mm (WIP update) Fantasy Funfest
« Reply #64 on: August 27, 2016, 08:41:03 AM »
Good work on those scultps.

Those troll-like fgiures remember me the Tapasa from Berserk comic, have you read it?

They are assasins bodyguads, extremely strong and agile. I am not sure if they are human or not, I supouse they are not.

Offline dry_erase

• Loc: London
« Reply #65 on: August 27, 2016, 12:05:51 PM »
@dry-erase: I've popped in an Ottoman commander from Pendraken since it's the only historical range I own.  Hope this helps a bit.

It does - looks like they fit pretty well with existing historical ranges and I could build an Araby force blending them together. That said, I've found the biggest issue with historicals are the horses.. GW mounts are generally so much bigger.

All still looking fantastic, by the way...

Offline Grumbledook

« Reply #66 on: September 01, 2016, 09:04:52 PM »
@jchaos: Great picture and thanks for sharing it! I'm not at all familiar with the comic but I think I'm definately going to have to look into that. They look a bit ogre/mutanty - which is king of what my big brutes are turning into.

@dry-erase: I totally agree with you on the horses, the Araby horses and Camels are HUGE...... but utterly lovely!

Tiny update from me. Gradually preparing for the traumatic return to work so hopefully I'll be continuing to get stuff done - planning to do a bit of sculpting every night so things continue to develop. Anyways, here's the latest work in progress:

Another almost finished spearman, some work on the 'thing's' face, and Mr.Tickle is going to be the long awaited standard bearer.

Also, I'm picking up a pair of sample casts from one of my spearmen so I hope to get one painted soon! Really looking forward to seeing how they turned out... fingers crossed.

As always, thanks for looking.

Offline marell le fou

« Reply #67 on: September 01, 2016, 10:42:20 PM »
Considering the originals, i rally think your casting will be at the same level as GW stuff !

Everyting you did is just awesome !

You should consider a kickstarter to finance everything better.

Offline jchaos79

• Veteran member
    • Fortunes of war
« Reply #68 on: September 01, 2016, 11:07:37 PM »
thumbs up, men!

Offline Stormwind

• Veteran member
  • Ben Sibbald | Newcastle, UK
« Reply #69 on: September 01, 2016, 11:58:09 PM »
Really encouraging stuff!
My Personal & Modelling Blog >>http://theancienttrack.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Meraklis

« Reply #70 on: September 08, 2016, 01:55:32 PM »
those look beautiful!

You should really consider to make these available for purchase or start a kickstarter or something!

There is a huge demand for araby themed figures and the currently available alternatives are sub-par at best.

Offline Grumbledook

« Reply #71 on: September 08, 2016, 08:23:27 PM »
Wow, thanks guys!

The plan is to get moulds made and have them cast up, so hopefully in the not too distant future I'll be finished with sculpting a couple of units - spearmen and the ogre types - as well as some characters to add colour. Once that's done I plan to get them moulded and cast which will hopefully result in an initially modest number for sale.

In regards to a Kickstarter I'm not planning anything like that at this stage. The main reasons are I want to find out if this whole idea is a reasonable one (basically if anyone wants to buy the models) and I'd honestly hate to disappoint people if they back my project and things don't go as planned. I'm lucky in respect that my costs are only going to be the mould making and casting since I'm not needing anyone else to do the concept sketches, sculpting or painting and since this all falls under my own hobby time (and I'm a terrible boss who pays me in beer!) I'm really enjoying seeing this idea become and actual thing.

Anyway, enough of that, here are some more progress on the sculpts..... and even something shiny!

And now the sample cast which I'm really excited about:

So there we are, hopefully this is the future! There's more words on my blog about why the ogre type chaps look like they do if you're interested.

Immediate plans are to finish painting those ever lurking goblins, finish the 2nd ogre (and start another), finish the standard bearer, paint up the metal spearman. hmm.

Thanks for looking and once again it's a real boost getting all this moral support!

Offline jchaos79

• Veteran member
    • Fortunes of war
« Reply #72 on: September 08, 2016, 09:43:02 PM »
Great news,

when you cast them up, I would like to buy one of each references

Offline marell le fou

« Reply #73 on: September 08, 2016, 10:09:57 PM »
Nie quasting quality. It will surely end as a success.

Offline Meraklis

« Reply #74 on: September 08, 2016, 10:52:55 PM »
When you release them I will also join the band wagon!

Keep it up! I am really looking forward to what is to come!