October 04, 2024, 12:12:13 PM

Author Topic: 10mm (Back to work!) Fantasy Funfest  (Read 34015 times)

Offline dry_erase

• Loc: London
Re: 10mm (back to sculpting) Fantasy Funfest
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2016, 07:11:05 PM »
You're very good at this! Would you be able to show one of your armatures? I struggle to make them at 10mm and any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Grumbledook

• Loc: Uk
    • It's a hobby, not an addiction
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2016, 08:25:39 PM »
Thanks chaps!

dry_erase: Providence smiles on you! Seriously though, I've just been making some armatures and after reading your comment I've put the process up on my blog. Then I thought, 'hells yeah!' and thought I'd put it on here too for convenience.

Now, I found this process ages ago somewhere online so cannot claim responsibility for the technique. Needless to say it probably saved me from totally giving up on sculpting anything this small, since my previous attempts really sucked!

Things which I need:
•0.7mm wire
•Something to cut said wire
•Fingers

First of all I cut a couple of lengths of wire:

The long piece of wire is then wrapped the very tip on the little finger, resulting in a loop in the middle of the long piece of wire:

The shorter length of wire is then placed in between the overlapping halves of the long wire – the pressure at the base of the loop should hold the wire in place, like so:

Then, pinch the loop and short wire between thumb and any finger of choice (forgive the un-manicured fingernail, printing ink is tough to remove):

Then TWIST, and I mean tightly! You don’t want the short piece of wire to drop out. Normally I give it 3 good twists, this tends to give enough ‘torso and hips’ for a 10mm figure:

I like to just put the tiniest drop of superglue onto the twisted wire and let it dry just to give it some added strength. Once dry, you can then carefully >ahem< snip away the superfluous length between the legs. I tend to leave the arms in their loop formation  while getting the body and legs bulked out, then snip and pose them later:

Ta-Daaaaaa! I like to leave the length at the head end just in case I want a plume or spike (so far I’ve made one plume and no spikes – quite a repertoire). I then use a pin to put a couple of holes in a cork, the wire is too flimsy to just stick in, making allowances for the base bit then trim and organise the arms later.

So, no magic involved. Hope that helps you get sculpting!

Thanks for looking

Offline dry_erase

• Loc: London
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2016, 10:07:50 PM »
Thanks - that's much better than the armatures I've cobbled together in the past. Now to decide what to sculpt!

Offline Grumbledook

« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2016, 10:30:04 PM »
Hello all!

Real life stuff and my easily distracted nature have resulted in general annoyingness. However, back on track-ish again and a little group shot of stuff you've already seen, some added details and a couple of dollies:

The hope for the next couple of months is a variety of additional spearmen (I think a mix of six or seven rank and file should be enough) and a command group. Then I start to seriously think about getting some cast up..... or if it's even economically viable to get it done. I have a dream (nothing grand) of sculpting an entire fantastical Arabian army with Assassins, Guard units, ranged units, mythological beasties, whopping great artillery pieces and so much more. This is very much a long term project (probably a few years) which will no doubt be something of an albatross about my neck..... so best get cracking then!

This all has to get done whilst normal job-life goes on and my 3 and a half year old stops me from doing anything hobby related until the hours of darkness. As I said, a dream but a noble one I hope.

Thanks for looking.

P.S. dry_erase: no problem, hope the armature is useful. Come up with any ideas on what to start on yet?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 10:32:03 PM by Grumbledook »

Offline andydorman

• Loc: Leeds
10mm (back to sculpting) Fantasy Funfest
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2016, 05:54:59 AM »
Very talented - even when I can see exactly how it's done it still looks like witchcraft to me!!!

Offline Stormwind

• Veteran member
  • Ben Sibbald | Newcastle, UK
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2016, 10:00:49 PM »
Beautiful work, mate.
My Personal & Modelling Blog >>http://theancienttrack.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline jchaos79

• Veteran member
    • Loc: Vigo, Galicia, Spain
    • Fortunes of war
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2016, 07:30:23 AM »
Well to cast your figures I know Leon from pendraken do this services. I do not know the prices but probably not too expensive but it will take long time due to load of work. Yann aka barbarian did it.
Maybe you can even have a deal with Leon and Dave and buy your masters to be included in their catalogue. Black Ed did it.
At last there is other way, order the cast to a company of casting not only miniatures. It will be fast an probably expensive. I think is what Dave from warmonger does.

Maybe could be worth to pm these three forum members and ask them for their own experience about casting.

Go ahead with your dream and enjoy your boy.

Offline Grumbledook

« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2016, 07:42:27 PM »
Thanks for all the positive comments chaps.

Jchaos79: Thanks for all that info. I should probably start to get in touch with some people, I've bought pendraken and warmonger miniatures so know the quality is high. I hadn't thought about selling the masters, but would certainly consider it as I can see a number of advantages to it. Also, would need a buyer!

Hoping to get a few more tiny bits of putty on tonight, then intend to start basing my warmonger pikemen.

Offline marell le fou

« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2016, 10:46:05 PM »
WOoooo really promising. Continue like that and you will produce very nice stuff !

Offline Grumbledook

« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2016, 08:45:21 PM »
Managed to get a bit more putty playtime in;

I’m also getting daring……. I’ve got an idea for some allies/nominal subjects for my Arabians. From the ever shifting dunes the great wandering tribes of the desert Trolls emerge to fight for the great Merchant Princes of the Arabian city states, lured by the generous and pay and more likely the more than generous post battle feasing! Here’s a sneak peek for scale:

It ain't much yet I know, but I've got plans for the nomad tribes.

Thanks for looking

P.S. sorry about the huge pictures, hope to sort that out at some point.

Offline marell le fou

« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2016, 10:10:55 PM »
Pictures are ok, don't worry. We are happy to check everything from close sight.

Offline Stormwind

• Veteran member
  • Ben Sibbald | Newcastle, UK
« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2016, 12:12:46 AM »
This is all fab and exciting. =)
My Personal & Modelling Blog >>http://theancienttrack.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Tiberius

• Loc: Anaheim, CA
« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2016, 02:13:03 AM »
Very nice work.  It is indeed exciting.  Really impressive work, keep it up!

Offline Aquahog

« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2016, 09:16:13 AM »
At this speed you'd be able to sculpt your own unique army in no time. :)

Offline Grumbledook

« Reply #44 on: July 23, 2016, 11:10:42 PM »
Thanks chaps, managed to finish off the two most complete ones:

Just spotted the hole on the back of the right hand guy's head, need to fill that.

And yes, skulls are totally allowed! More being done at the moment, tentatively adding bits to the desert troll too.

Thanks for looking.