October 04, 2024, 10:22:49 AM

Author Topic: 10mm (Back to work!) Fantasy Funfest  (Read 34013 times)

Offline industrialtrousers

• Loc: Londinium
Re: 10mm (Messin around with scenery again) Fantasy Funfest
« Reply #105 on: November 03, 2016, 12:34:22 PM »
Water:
http://www.poundland.co.uk/tommy-walsh-epoxy-resin-glue

I've tried this and it's dried hard. Wasn't quite as fluid as I was expecting but I might have got too much of the hardner in. Beware. It's sticky stuff.

I'm going to use it for a swamp at some stage shortly but I would try to give it a bit of a tint when mixing and if you can paint in (flailing search for correct term) 'depth perspective' - make it look deeper than it is, and then pour some of this over it might well do the trick.

Worth a punt for a pound as far cheaper than water effects. See what you think.

Offline Grumbledook

• Loc: Uk
    • It's a hobby, not an addiction
« Reply #106 on: November 18, 2016, 08:45:40 PM »
Ooo, the epoxy glue looks worth a go. I've seen people use resin in thin layers with different tints to get that depth effect you mention - an artist does some very cool food bowls filled with dozens of layers of resin and paints goldfish on them at different depths.... mad but lovely.

Been super busy at work but have finished another ogre...... pictures soon!

« Reply #107 on: November 19, 2016, 12:52:47 AM »
Dozens of layers sounds like one for the purists. At 10 mm I would expect you can paint brighter gradients and the slightly tint the epoxy. Keep those half ogres coming.

Offline Grumbledook

« Reply #108 on: November 21, 2016, 11:19:28 PM »
Finally, after what seems like ages, anothe Half-Ogre. This time with a massive great branch with some spiky rocks wedged into it. Bit of a blurry pic I'm afraid but I hope you get the idea.

More dollies are on corks so I'm hoping to get started on another one soon....... hmmm, what weapon this time?

Thanks for looking.

Offline Stormwind

• Veteran member
  • Ben Sibbald | Newcastle, UK
Re: 10mm (half-ogre with big, spiked club) Fantasy Funfest
« Reply #109 on: November 22, 2016, 04:32:57 PM »
Oh wow, great work, there!
My Personal & Modelling Blog >>http://theancienttrack.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline marell le fou

« Reply #110 on: November 22, 2016, 09:19:56 PM »
Great sculpting. You're very talented.

But i must say i'm not fond of the weapon. Too big "rocks wedged into it" if you want my opinion. But a matter of feeling i suppose. If it pleases you then it's ok of course.

Offline Grumbledook

« Reply #111 on: November 22, 2016, 10:22:54 PM »
Thanks for the comments!

Criticism is always welcome (and encouraged) marell, and to some extent I agree! Maybe they need a bit of shortening or removing altogether, I spent quite some time wondering what to do but kind of just went for it in the end (one of the pitfalls of not working to any kind of plan!). He's got a string of sausages hanging from his belt on the back if that's any consolation though ;)

More on the way soon.

« Reply #112 on: November 23, 2016, 05:34:25 AM »
Great stuff. Is it Procreate you use? Do you mix it with green stuff?

I'm a fan of semi civilized folks like half ogres having improvised weapons. As mercenaries they would get paid in food so unless they're a household bodyguard/eunuch slaves they wouldn't have a sword,spear etc. Other weapons ideas could be; a hammer which uses an anvil as head, a cannon with a trunk shoved down it as a club, club using 4 dwarf pick axes rammed onto the end of a pole, a 2hander sword might be big enough, two large Viking axes strapped back to back to make  a double headed axe.

Offline Grumbledook

Re: 10mm (10mm Vampire, oh my) Fantasy Funfest
« Reply #113 on: December 10, 2016, 10:58:42 PM »
Thanks industrialtrousers, really good ideas for the scavenged and improvised weapons. Lots of food for thought that's for sure, some of those weapn ideas are pretty exciting and I hope you don't mind if I use a couple of them?

I'm using procreate, which can be a bit annoying since it's not very sticky. I've also heard of mixing with green stuff but I've never had a go since I think I'm still getting used to the medium, however I think I'll be giving it a go at some point perhaps on a bigger model.

In other news, here is a picture of my 10mm Vampire Count WIP which I may have mentioned at some point earlier:

Still needs lots of work but I think you get the idea of where he's headed. The main reson for this sculpt was the fact I was looking at the options for a Count Dracula-ish Vampire in 10mm but couldn't find anything that I liked so here we are!

Since I am a massive RPG fan and think that 10mm would be a brilliant scale for it, I'm thinking of possibly doing a selection of heroes and villains which may be the occasional freebie when I finally get around to casting and selling units.

Also bulked out a couple of half-ogre dollies and some more paint on a scenic piece.

Thanks for looking.

Offline Stormwind

• Veteran member
« Reply #114 on: December 11, 2016, 06:47:14 PM »
That looks and sounds great, Grumbledook!

I can see a "variety" pack having things that would be useful to different Warmaster armies or dioramas.

Offline dry_erase

• Loc: London
« Reply #115 on: December 11, 2016, 06:53:35 PM »
Great vampire - loads of character already, so I can't wait to see the finished figure.

Do you know what I'd like to see in a variety pack? A zoat.  It would make a nifty and unique wizard for Wood Elf, Albion and even Empire armies. I've been wanting to sculpt one myself but I think you'd do a better job! (this is a purely selfish request)

Offline marell le fou

« Reply #116 on: December 11, 2016, 09:38:58 PM »
Hell yes ! A really nicely looking vampire. The head is really not like any human. Clearly a terrifying and unnatural creature. Well done !

Offline Grumbledook

Re: 10mm (Finished Vampire) Fantasy Funfest
« Reply #117 on: January 05, 2017, 08:46:18 PM »
Woah! Ok. So another almost a month flashes by. Thanks for the positive responses once again.

I have added the finishing touches to the Vampire Count, and think I managed to get everything I think I wanted onto him to give hime a bit of a retro Dracula vibe.

He was fun to sculpt and is only the first of a (hopefully) large range of one off monsters/characters that I want to sculpt, there is so much inspirational stuff in the many RPG bestiaries out there - and I'll definately have to make a Zoatesque tortoise centaur!

Don't worry though, the next aim is to get two more Half Ogres finished (one of whom I'm trying to give the archetypal anchor weapon).

Happy New Year and all that to you all!

Offline marell le fou

« Reply #118 on: January 05, 2017, 10:16:36 PM »
Really nice ! I love it !

The cape gesture is ver vampiric style ;)

Offline Stormwind

• Veteran member
« Reply #119 on: January 06, 2017, 11:25:18 AM »
Excellent, very nice!