September 30, 2024, 03:21:03 PM

Author Topic: [BFG] Chios' Dockyard - Scratchbuilds  (Read 22051 times)

Offline Chios

Re: [BFG] Chios' Dockyard - Scratchbuilds
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2017, 09:55:17 PM »
While I did fall short on the whole "let's gift a complete campaign fleet to my friend" goal, I managed to finish two Solaris Light Cruisers, which turned out pretty nice. Also, he really liked them, which was the whole point of the exercise after all!

Here are some work in progress pics, I need to take pictures of them painted when I meet the birthday boy again  :)

Offline Gun_wun

• Loc: USA
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2017, 07:33:01 PM »
You got skills.  very nice...............  Did I mention I got a birthday coming up!

Offline Chios

« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2017, 08:46:46 PM »
Nice try, Gun_wun ;)

As compensation, may I offer you these pictures of the painted ships...

Offline Lord Borak

• Loc: United Kingdom
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2017, 11:28:19 PM »
Blimey! These are fantastic  :o

Offline Gun_wun

« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2017, 05:19:03 PM »
Rodger that, Lord Barak!

Offline Gun_wun

« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2017, 05:20:03 PM »
Oh, and I forgot to mention, do I not get a birthday present because I'm green?

Offline Chios

« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2017, 09:26:32 PM »
Imagine you got a broken USB stick. You dismantled it of course, because you might use it later for spaceship parts, because that's just what you do.
Now it sits there, in front of you, begging you to get all the materials out, because you KNOW this will be fun, COME ON man!.
Nevermind that you have everything locked away so the desk can actually be used for something else.
Nevermind that the USB stick (and at this point you start to suspect the little bugger got someone briefing him on what exactly to say to sway you, they are not usually so damn persuasive) lends itself to a ship you most likely will never use, seeing as noone you know even plays its parent fleet but wouldn't it look glorious and who knows, it might push you to build the ships you really DO need afterwards.

Sigh.

Then imagine that your girlfriend (who may or may not have been able to outtalk the broken electronics but at the very least could have distracted you) is away for a few days so all you got to show after giving in is a really bad picture taken with your mobile camera.

And then look at my new WIP Tau Emissary! ;D
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 11:44:16 PM by Chios »

Offline Lord Borak

• Loc: United Kingdom
« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2017, 11:29:17 AM »
As cunning as a Fox who has just graduated from Oxfords school of Cunning.

That looks awesome man.

Offline Chios

« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2018, 10:33:09 PM »
Almost exactly two years after Blindhorizon's request, I have inreased the detail on one of my Chaos cruisers.

I don't know if my camera shows this clearly, but the white stuff on the side of the command bridge is looking like pinnacles of a church... maybe after paint it will be easier to see.

Unfortunately, as the last time my group played was in April 2017, I have little hope of playing anytime soon. This is why I haven't been building in a whole while. I noticed however, that making models is something I really missed. I guess I'll try to finish some of the things I already started first, let's see wether I can get myself to get my four Chaos cruisers done.

The bright side of burying my idea of building fleets with my friends is that I won't have to hold back on the detail as there will be no frequent changes in the ships I need.  ;)

Offline marell le fou

« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2018, 10:03:49 PM »
It will appear more clearly with painting, but it's already visible. Nice job :)

Offline Chios

« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2018, 09:49:58 PM »
Today I drybrushed a terrorship a friend of mine built from pc parts... I gotta say, it looks incredible!

Offline marell le fou

« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2018, 10:35:16 PM »
What is a Terrorship ?

Anyway, i appreciate it. Massive, frightening... A big Hulk like in old times...

Offline Chios

« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2018, 10:39:04 PM »
The terrorship is the Ork's carrier cruiser.

Offline Jehan-Reznor

• Loc: Kobe, Japan
« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2018, 12:13:34 PM »
I like it and i recognize some of the parts ;)

Offline Chios

« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2018, 07:20:34 AM »
Some small headway...

I painted up (to my usual shoddy standard at least) the upgraded Devastation carrier. I'm liking it so far, the only thing that really stands out in terms of lacking details is the aft shields, but I already got a great idea for those...

...and big changes!

For my 30th birthday, a huge of group of people chipped in and bought me a 3d printer! What a bunch of maniacs!
I have been happily printing and 3d modlling ever since, and now I got the first couple results to show for it!

It is incredible how many people will post good 3d models online for others to enjoy and even modify...

Now back to the good idea mentioned earlier. I made my Chaos cruisers with cardboard templates to be able to reproduce them at any time. These templates were made in a CAD program, so I can use the original templates to design and 3Dprint fitting visual detail parts for my cruisers! Yay!