September 27, 2024, 02:26:35 PM

Author Topic: With access to the ODG files..... Shangri La  (Read 7430 times)

Offline Lex

• Global Moderator
  • I wonder...
    • Loc: Bergen op Zoom, Netherlands
    • Warmuster . BitzBox
With access to the ODG files..... Shangri La
« on: March 18, 2016, 09:22:12 AM »
In the year 15 of the Old World Sigmar, Founder of the Empire of Man, slew Nagash at the battle of the River Reik. This was Nagash’s second death and a great many of his followers were destroyed. Some fled and joined with the Vampires of Sylvania, others, hotly pursued by the Imperial Army, turned eastward and travelled for many months. The Necromancer Vampires Nerkan, Varosh and Hagesh led this portion of the army. Tension was high among these three but each knew they needed the others to survive. The three drank blood from their living retainers until they either died or became lesser vampires.

The survivors that had not become vampires perished, and the undead soldiers that followed were allowed to crumble into dust so that the Necromancers magic could be turned to their survival. After two years of wanderings the group found themselves in the mountains north of Cathay, here they found a monastery of dark warrior monks, known as the Ko’lan on the edge of a mountain lake.

The vampires took refuge at the monastery and learned the monks fighting skills, magic and of the secrets of the mountain lake. They were told to drink the water of the lake to cure them of the curse of vampirism.  As they had been told the lake's water cured them of their need for blood. The magic of the water mixed with the vampire blood still within them.  It increased their already great strength and rejuvenated their bodies so that they did not suffer from the decay that plagued the Liche Priests of Khemri, granting them true immortality. But this power came at a price. By drinking the water of the lake they had become bound to it. The further they were from its waters, the weaker they became. The lake itself became stronger and weaker as the seasons passed. In the summer, when the lake was deepest, the power pulsing from it was great. It was weakest in winter months when the lake was frozen.

The monks of the mountains had tricked the Khemrians in the hopes of making them their willing servants. They had not anticipated the effect the water would have on one affected by vampirism. When Nerkan and Hagesh realised the monks' treachery, their rage was terrible. Nerkan challenged the Ko’lan Master to a fight and easily defeated him, as was dictated by their code, the monks submitted to Nerkan’s leadership. The Khemrians were no longer vampires and from this day forth, were known as the Shangri La.

To keep their power strong in the winter months the Shangri La were forced to commit souls to a cauldron of the water kept unfrozen within the great monastery. The Shangri La raided northern Cathay to steal away peasants for this very purpose.  As the years passed the Shangri La multiplied and built a great city named Xanadu on the shores of the mystic lake.

Then one day, when the winds blew strong across the mountaintops, a great Dragon of the Orient attacked Xanadu. It burned the great city the Shangri La had constructed to ash and killed Nerkan and Varosh. The flames from the burning city evaporated the waters of the great lake. Xi Jin, a student of Varosh used the necromantic arts kill and resurrect the Dragon as his servant, riding upon its back and commanding its power he declared himself Emperor of Shangri La.

Xi Jin was crowned within the day and began to rebuild the shattered civilisation. The great burning, as it was to become known, had destroyed almost all of Shangri La’s people, weakened its power, and turned Xanadu to ash. Hunger became rampant and the survivors fed on the flesh of the dead, in time becoming Ghouls similar to those of the Old World. In an attempt to raise the waters of the great lake to their original level Xi Jin resurrected an almighty war host and led them into Cathay. The war host rampaged across Cathay until an alliance of Warlords turned them back. Despite his best efforts, Xi Jin was unable to bring back the power possessed by his tutors.

Instead Xi Jin ordered his finest scholars to read the ancient scrolls that had survived the fire to try find an alternative power; none was found. The more inventive of them, most notably Dai Jimo, created new and horrifying weapons to capture souls on the battlefield and bring them to Cathay to be thrown into the great lake. These weapons included the Soul Stealer, an engine of war in the shape of a great claw that wrenched the souls from all whom stood before it. Another of Dai’s creations were the globes of eternity, These small globes were built into the swords of the remaining Shangri La who had not devolved into Ghouls, these swords could now capture the soul from the victim of its blade. Xi studied hard and learned new magiks and, some say, made a pact with a chaos god in return for the services of his demons, he also learned to how to bring life to the terracotta statues in Xanadu and augmented his army with a great number of them.

With these new weapons and new knowledge of the arts of necromancy, Xi resurrected a new great war host and marched into Cathay, but this time the alliance of warlords was there to meet him. The great armies clashed upon the Plains of the Ulay river and the Alliance was defeated unable to resist Dai’s weapons and Xi’s magic. As the Warhost pushed deeper into Cathay and the distance to the great lake increased Xi’s magic began to weaken and his control over his undead minions and demons loosened.

When the Alliance attacked Xi again the battle was hopelessly one-sided, Xi was unable to command his minions and the demons vanished into the warp, as his minions crumbled around him, Xi and the men hat made up the honour guard fled the battle to return to Xanadu.

It was over 300 years before the population of Shangri La was able to prepare a new great war host and enough raids had taken place to allow the resurrection of an army. As this new threat makes ready, the Northern Alliance of Cathay arm themselves and gather new members to the Alliance in the hopes that it will be enough to hold back the soldiers of Shangri la...
Code: [Select]
Name             Type Atk Hits Amr Cmd Size PPU Min/Max Spec
Soulless ones    I 2 4 6 - 3 40 2/-
Death riders         C 2/1 3 5 - 3 85 2/-
Ghouls                 I 3 3 0 - 3 35 -/- 1
Honour Guard         I 4 3 5 - 3 100 -/2 2
Golem                 I 4 4 5 - 3 110 -/2 3
Demon swarm        M 2 3 6 - 3 65 -/1 4
Soul stealer         A 1/3 2 0 - 1 70 -/1 5
Dragon                 M 8/3 8 4 - 1 200 -/1 6
Kampaku              GEN 1 - - 10 1 175 1 9
Hero                    HERO 0 - - 8 1 80 -/3 9
Genro            SPEC 0 - - 0 1 45 -/1 6
Dragon Mount    MM 4/3 - - - - 100 -/1 7
Demon mount    MM 2 - - - - 80 -/1 8

Common Shangri La rules
1. Undead
2. Cauldron of Power: The General has a cauldron of water from the great lake in the mountains, which is the source of the power for the army's characters. When the army is not fighting the water disappears but when in combat the flow of souls raises its level. To represent this, the Shangri La have a special rule regarding their command. For each turn after the first that the army is not in combat a -1 command penalty is applied to the Kampaku and Heroes however the command value cannot go below 8 for the Kampaku and 6 for the Heroes. Please note it does not matter which side charges or instigates a combat, so long as Shangri La Units are fighting.

Special Rules
1) Ghouls are not Undead.
2) Honour Guard are not Undead. Honour Guard will always obey a Generals order if they are within 20 cm, note command penalty’s are still applied as once they leave the 20 cm zone they will have to roll as per normal.
3) Golem ignore drive backs
4) May fly
5) Ignores defended and fortified status for drive back purposes. If a unit is driven back by a soul stealer it must do so even if this forces friends to make way. If a unit does not make way for a unit attacked by a soul stealer any stands that cannot move from the attacked unit are destroyed. Normal limitations apply e.g. cavalry driven back into woods become confused.
6) A unit joined by a genro gains +1 attack per stand.
7) CANNOT fly. Causes terror. 20cm range. May be ridden by a Kampaku or a Hero.
8) May fly. Causes terror. May be ridden by a Kampaku or a Hero.
9) Spellcaster

Offline Stormwind

• Veteran member
  • Ben Sibbald | Newcastle, UK
Re: With access to the ODG files..... Shangri La
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2016, 01:02:03 PM »
Wow - what inspired this one?  Interesting stuff!

What /is/ a "Genro" though?
My Personal & Modelling Blog >>http://theancienttrack.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Lex

• Global Moderator
  • I wonder...
    • Warmuster . BitzBox
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2016, 01:14:27 PM »
Wow - what inspired this one?  Interesting stuff!

I combined a lot of lore and ideas

What /is/ a "Genro" though?

Good question ...... need to find the basic writings

Offline GrumpyOldMan

• Loc: NSW, Australia
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2016, 09:46:16 PM »
Hi

I've tried to track down Genro and the closest I can come is Japanese man-wolf ie werewolf - 人狼, which I imagine could fit in with the list description. He also shows up in some anime films as Genro - A general wolf god.

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan

Offline Lex

• Global Moderator
  • I wonder...
    • Warmuster . BitzBox
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2016, 10:28:36 PM »
That sounds like it might be the thing. I need to weed through the old posts to see what else it could be.

Offline empireaddict

• Loc: UK East Midlands
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2016, 05:42:57 PM »
Spells? Same as Tomb Kings or same as Vampire Counts?

By conicidence, I've just started collecting Nippon style minis to proxy for an Undead army.  So this is an excellent development as I can now I add a third set of stats to the TK and VC ones.

Very many thanks for digging this out, Lex.
"I cannot believe you when you say [your friend] has identical plastic boxes for his armies, all color coded [...] Don't you think that is being little obsessive?"
"Yes, but not enough to scare us wargamers."
Larry Leadhead (2004)

Offline empireaddict

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2016, 11:43:44 AM »
@Lex, I have now had a chance to look closely at the list and I am intrigued by it.  Mindful of the fact that all this might have been discussed in ye olden dayes, I also did a quick search for any related traffic in the old Yahoo! WM pages.  But I could not find anything.  So, in addition to my earlier query about spells, please could I also ask:

1) Cauldron.  I really like the variable command thing.  But is it correct that it can only go down?  If it has gone down due to no combat and then the army inflicts casualties on the enemy to create a ‘flow of souls’, would it go back up?  And presumably the command penalty occurs from start of the turn?

2) Flyers.  They are 65 points.  Does that mean they are based on the long-edge?

Thanks again for digging this out.
"I cannot believe you when you say [your friend] has identical plastic boxes for his armies, all color coded [...] Don't you think that is being little obsessive?"
Larry Leadhead (2004)

Offline Lex

• Global Moderator
  • I wonder...
    • Warmuster . BitzBox
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2016, 11:53:42 AM »
1) dry undead, renamed to suit
2) cheaper base hero-command, after the round so at start of round 2 you could be in trouble
3) harpystyle

i had retyped a longer reaction but that got lost.

Offline empireaddict

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2016, 02:08:09 PM »
Lex, that's great.  Many thanks.  I'll playtest and feed back.  Command only going down will be interesting - will need those flyers to get things started on Turn 1 or 2!
Larry Leadhead (2004)

Offline marell le fou

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2016, 11:12:56 PM »
I have read everything. Nice fluff ! ANy hope to see pictures of the troops you have to play Xanadu's forces ?

Offline empireaddict

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2016, 08:06:09 PM »
@Lex, suggestion: also tag the Daemons as not Undead?

@Marell, please can I clarify, are you asking me or Lex about minis?
Larry Leadhead (2004)

Offline Lex

• Global Moderator
  • I wonder...
    • Warmuster . BitzBox
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2016, 09:05:18 PM »
@Lex, suggestion: also tag the Daemons as not Undead?

We could, but Far Eastern lore has a thin line between what is undead and what is supernatural aka daemons......

in what area is it messing things up ?

Offline empireaddict

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2016, 06:43:27 AM »
OK.  Understood.  If it is deliberate, then no problem.  Thanks for the clarification.
Larry Leadhead (2004)

Offline marell le fou

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2016, 10:34:04 PM »
I was asking any of you :)

Offline empireaddict

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2016, 08:57:32 AM »
@marell le fou, Because it would be hard work to adapt skeletons to look 'far eastern', I have decided to get ordinary Japanese/Chinese minis and then paint them with a light green glow.  I have looked at the various bits of advice online for painting LoTR Army of the Dead.  From the test pieces I've done, it should be a very quick army to paint!  I am probably going to buy Magister Militum minis because I bought some Samurai from them a few years ago and I thought they were OK.  I have also purchased a Eureka 18mm dragon, Oni and Tengu from 15mm.co.uk and some Reaper spider swarms to proxy as Dire Wolves when using VC stats.  And for the TK stats, I've bought this to proxy as a giant https://www.reapermini.com/Miniatures/ogre/latest/14054
I'll post some pictures when the project is done.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 10:14:41 AM by empireaddict »
Larry Leadhead (2004)