October 06, 2024, 03:23:38 AM

Author Topic: WM High Elf Army attempt #3  (Read 13504 times)

Offline adamsg01

• Loc: Australia
Re: WM High Elf Army attempt #3
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2016, 04:21:49 AM »
Life has been a tad crazy but, after longer than expected, here are the latest recruits to the Elf army.

a) 2 units of Spear-elfs (120 pts) - sadly quite a few broken spears but mostly on the back ranks.
b) 1 unit of Archers (75 pts)
c) 1 more Wizard (100 pts)

d) 1 unit of Eagles for some flanking action (70 pts) but boy were they tricky to line up.

So adding another 365 points painted. Total now is 2,720 + 365 = 3,085 points.

Next unit is another chariot unit and am also thinking of doing up a base of swordmaster individual figures (from command set) into a single base of their own to be an elite (but small) unit. Should be fun.

@Marell added some mugshot of great eagle for you - nothing spectacular I am afraid :o).

@jchaos79 - thanks for the comment and yes they match really well.
@Geep - As much as I enjoy painting my figs pre-painted is a great alternative to having a table top ready army. Hope you had a chance to use your lads.

cheers

Offline jchaos79

• Veteran member
    • Loc: Vigo, Galicia, Spain
    • Fortunes of war
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2016, 06:25:17 AM »
Adamsg great work, swordmaster unit is a excellent idea. In fact the figures  of swordmaster are exactly the sameas command set but in strip.

You did a unit of eagles, I hate basing the eagles... it is so dificut to get the correct configuration. But I see you solve the problem adding some sort of high ground. smart.

Offline adamsg01

« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2016, 06:51:46 AM »
Thanks for the tip on the Swordmasters jchaos79. I figured they were the same minis but are based individually so will have to see how I can squeeze them in but still look like they came that way (i.e like I bought the blister version).

Yeah the great eagles I bought already based but had to pry off one and stuck some cork underneath to look like a bigger rocky crag to perch on. Don't look too close as it is not particularly well implemented but will do but at least they can rank up neatly. I have to admit was the least enjoyable bit but theya re still awesome sculpts though so worth the extra effort.
cheers

Offline Stormwind

• Veteran member
  • Ben Sibbald | Newcastle, UK
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2016, 11:49:25 AM »
You've really powered through painting them!

It makes a huge difference having painted armies on the battlefield facing one another, and attracts new people to the game. =)
My Personal & Modelling Blog >>http://theancienttrack.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline adamsg01

« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2016, 05:35:29 AM »
Finally I manage to finish off another unit. This time more chariots:

So that another 95 points to the 3,085 points so now have a total of 3,180 points.

I also did up the single base elite troop (bodyguard for my general or a mage cameoing as Teclis perhaps, as I don't have the real teclis model). These are made up from the couple of swordmaster figures you get in each command blister. I will not add them as an official unit to my points total unless I can field the full 3 bases by picking up some spares - have 2 individuals to add to the next base but will need lots more.

Offline jchaos79

• Veteran member
    • Fortunes of war
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2016, 09:40:54 AM »
Those look great!

Offline Stormwind

• Veteran member
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2016, 11:28:46 AM »
Well done for making a large army so quickly.

Every blister that gets painted is a dent in the Himalayan range of lead mountains. =)

Offline adamsg01

« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2016, 11:50:08 AM »
Thanks guys. Checked the opened blister lead pile (not quite the Himalayas there Stormwind but almost as daunting) I still have left to do and found another unit of great eagles, a bolt thrower and silver helms and a mage. Then I will have to check my unopened blister  pile but reckon about 3750 points once I am done so most of the work is behind me now which is very motivating. Work getting in the way of my spare painting time but near the finish line now lads but slower to get th eunits done.
cheers

Offline adamsg01

« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2016, 09:58:12 AM »
Been a wee while since my last update where I was at 3,180 points. I have now completed another (4th) unit of Silverhelms (110 pts) plus another Hero on Great Eagle (100 pt) so now at 3,390 points painted.

Also picked up 2 more blister of Ellyrian Reavers so super stoked on that front as I only have two painted so more work ahead. Oh and yes and (thanks to Marell - good dealing with you my friend :) )) some Phoenix Guard and another bolt thrower unit on the cards. More cool unit for the painting pile. Progress is slower than I'd like but hopefully will free up some more time post busy work.

cheers

Offline jchaos79

• Veteran member
    • Fortunes of war
« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2016, 12:02:30 AM »
Nice addition to the army. Specially like the Eagle.

Offline Stormwind

• Veteran member
« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2016, 12:30:28 AM »
Glad to hear of it. =)

Offline SpOOn

« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2016, 08:49:17 AM »
Looking good thus far! Very well done!

Offline adamsg01

« Reply #42 on: July 23, 2016, 09:02:43 AM »
Thanks for the support guys. Been really slack but never fear I still intend to finish off my high elf asap. Feel guilty opening the blisters though.

cheers

Offline marell le fou

« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2016, 09:59:31 PM »
Really nice. Go on !

Offline adamsg01

« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2017, 10:30:33 AM »
Well been a while between posts and my High Elves have stagnated somewhat but there is hope with the new year. Still painting when I get a chance but distracted by real life and other shiny things. Anyway, enough excuses from me,  to renew my interest I rediscovered my painted spear-elves and archers and took some shots:

Also started on some Empire with 2 batteries of great cannons and hellblasters and general base. Still working on about 5 Xbows and halberdiers also. I should probably rename my origin title (coz i want to also paint some of my orcs and undead, oh and chaos guys too).

Empire arty...

and some of the unpainted lads..about 26 units..but there are more elsewhere :'(

cheers