October 02, 2024, 11:22:56 PM

Author Topic: [BFG] 3D Printed Grey Knight Fleet Project (Small Craft Update!)  (Read 34688 times)

Offline MetalCoreKnight

• Loc: Canada
May Update!

I was housesitting for a couple of weeks and did some painting finally! Check it out here!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Long story short, I've always loved the idea of BFG, Grey Knights and Thus loved Forge World's Grey Knight Strike Cruiser so when I found mine in a box of bitz during my move 2 months ago sparked the idea for a project.

See, about 6 years ago I made a couple of very particular 3D Models(Large Image).

Of course back then there wasn't any kind of end-goal in mind, I just made models because it's just what I did. But over the last year I've been experimenting with 3D Printing and it's been going well but the projects I've been doing have been pretty simple so I figured it was time to kick it up a notch, BAM!

So I go back, dredge up those old, shameful models and completely re-modeled them, broke them up into a selection of parts in a logical manner, got them all sprue-d up and eventually got them sent off to the printers.

Now, a Month after I started on this project the first fruits of my labor have arrived;

Strike Cruiser

Strike Cruiser Text
"Let us be His Shield" and "I am the Spear in His hand"

Gladius Frigate

WIP Hunter Destroyer

Still a long way to go but so far so good!
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 07:33:23 AM by MetalCoreKnight »

Offline Geep

Re: [BFG] My Grey Knight Fleet Project
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2016, 01:05:05 AM »
Looking very good. I'd like to see them full assembled and with some paint (clear plastic makes it a little hard to see details).

Offline MetalCoreKnight

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2016, 01:18:45 AM »
Looking very good. I'd like to see them full assembled and with some paint (clear plastic makes it a little hard to see details).
Yeah, but this is the first time I've ordered in this material so I'm taking my time with these pieces to make sure I get them right, I've also already noticed a couple of small changes I need to make to my 3D models, hopefully over teh next week I can figure all this out! xD

Offline Malika

• Loc: Netherlands
    • Bits Blitz
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2016, 09:42:17 AM »
Is this Frosted Ultra Detail or Frosted Extreme Detail?
Bits Blitz - the place to be for all your bits needs!

Offline MetalCoreKnight

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2016, 10:51:27 AM »
Is this Frosted Ultra Detail or Frosted Extreme Detail?
Just Frosted Ultra Detail. Given that the model is like 80% horizontal and vertical flat surfaces I didn't think the extra fidelity from FED would really help the print at all but still cost like 50% more! xD

Offline Stormwind

• Veteran member
  • Ben Sibbald | Newcastle, UK
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2016, 02:07:21 PM »
Bloody impressive.
My Personal & Modelling Blog >>http://theancienttrack.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline MetalCoreKnight

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2016, 03:03:59 PM »
Bloody impressive.
thanks! Here's hoping they go together as well as I intended them to! xD

Offline mlkr

• Loc: Sweden
[BFG] My Grey Knight Fleet Project
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2016, 07:15:28 PM »
Do post pictures when done :) very curious about results ^_^
//Swedish BB & WM-player.

Offline MetalCoreKnight

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2016, 10:54:57 PM »
Do post pictures when done :) very curious about results ^_^
Will do!

Offline marell le fou

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2016, 08:05:36 PM »
A good example of what we will see in the years to come. And for my part i think someday will arrive a 3D color printer, and we will be able to print completly coloured armies with all desired options directly in our room...

Offline MetalCoreKnight

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2016, 04:32:06 PM »
Using one of the Gladiuses as a test subject for cleaning and paint this material and so cut everything off the sprue and tried a test fit. Results; everything is perfect.....so far! xD

Offline Stormwind

• Veteran member
  • Ben Sibbald | Newcastle, UK
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2016, 05:05:54 PM »
I am really impressed with what you've done.
My Personal & Modelling Blog >>http://theancienttrack.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline MetalCoreKnight

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2016, 08:13:34 PM »
I am really impressed with what you've done.
Thanks! Still a ways to go though! xD I did just finish fixing up my model for the Hunter Destroyer, my original model ended up 33% too big so I had to shrink it down. I'm a little worried about this one because of the way I broke it up and having to include a slot for the stem left for some parts with very thin areas and the material is pretty brittle compared to GW plastic some might be used to.

Luckily it comes in a four pack so I'll have a few to experiment with!

All that's left now is the Nova and the core fleet will be set, I want to try and do a Battle Barge but that'll be a very complex project to tackle so that it's also not super expensive due to the way Shapeway's PRicing works out.

Offline marell le fou

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2016, 11:03:48 PM »
YEAH ! This model is the perfect reflection of what you had designed in 3D. Congratulations !

I long to see it painted to appreciate details.

Offline MetalCoreKnight

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2016, 02:58:13 AM »
YEAH ! This model is the perfect reflection of what you had designed in 3D. Congratulations !

I long to see it painted to appreciate details.
Me too! xD I have some Vallejo Primer so I'll try brushing it on with one of the Gladius' just so see how that turns out, I'll probably do the second Gladius and the Cruiser over the weekend with my Airbrush to try that out and brush up and odd spots.

In other news, I cleaned the second Gladius and Strike Cruiser before work and once I got back I figured it was the perfect time to do a dry fit! Still not a great picture because of the material and all that but it'll have to do for now.

Thanks again everyone for the kind comments, my own gains from this project are great and all but it's the sharing of it that really makes me feel great about this!