October 01, 2024, 04:28:30 PM

Author Topic: New to Warmaster / Adepticon  (Read 2149 times)

Offline MicroHammer

• Lurker
    • Loc: US
New to Warmaster / Adepticon
« on: December 15, 2015, 01:02:45 AM »
I've just recently forayed into Warmaster and have absolutely zero local opponents. Being largely more concerned with the hobby aspect it's not too big of a deal, however, I was hoping to attend Adepticon and was considering trying to play in the Warmaster event. I had a few questions:

1. Is there a set of the most current community rules somewhere?

2. How feasible would it be to play in the event after only reading and playing a handful of games, would the atmosphere be geared toward a newer player? Or should I look elsewhere?

3. Are there any other events where people get together and play Warmaster or 10mm fantasy?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Offline Dave

• Loc: Worcester, MA
    • The Epic Gamer
Re: New to Warmaster / Adepticon
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2015, 02:44:24 AM »
The PDFs here are the most up-to-date rules:
http://wm-selector.appspot.com

Definitely a laid back atmosphere, we've had someone new to the game the last three years. It's not a problem.

Where are you located? We ran the first New England Warmaster Tournament this fall and get together once a month or so for WM and EA.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 12:13:15 PM by Dave »

Offline cjbennett22

• Loc: Grand Rapids, Michigan
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2015, 12:02:06 PM »
hey microhammer, welcome to Warmaster!

I am attending Friday and Saturday and I still consider myself a new player.  This will be my first match outside of the house.  ;)

If you live near grand rapids Michigan we can meet up and I can help you learn most of the rules, I'm no expert but could definitely help you get past the beginner and intermediates of the game.

Offline Stormwind

• Veteran member
  • Ben Sibbald | Newcastle, UK
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2015, 02:57:31 PM »
http://miniwars.co.uk/

Definitely check out Miniwars! The more people join, the easier it is to find people in the area!
My Personal & Modelling Blog >>http://theancienttrack.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline jchaos79

• Veteran member
    • Loc: Vigo, Galicia, Spain
    • Fortunes of war
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2015, 06:34:10 PM »
welcome to the forum microhamster! what army do you want to play?

Offline MicroHammer

• Lurker
    • Loc: US
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2015, 06:39:37 PM »
I'm located in Georgia.

I could probably make it to the NE once a year for some gaming. I was a regular in the WHFB tournament scene until the recent crash.

I've always had a love for 10/15mm scale games and I'm finally starting the transition.

My original project was to start a smaller scale homebrewed version of Warhammer, which I still intend to do as a personal project, but I'd like the miniatures to be cross compatible.

A friend needed me to paint up a BOFA set for commission and in return I got a huge pile of High Elves and Orcs and Goblins. I'm in the process of also picking up some Brets, I have two regiments each of Knights, Bowmen, M@A, and Mounted Squires. At some point I plan to buy/convert/sculpt something for each race.

Offline Tiberius

• Loc: Anaheim, CA
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2015, 08:43:20 PM »
Hi Microhammer!  Welcome.

I'm also still very new to the forum, and warmaster in general.  Actually my turn to warmaster is almost the exact same as yours!  After the death of the Old World, I thought about trying to make armies of mini Warhammer, so I could buy 2 or 3 armies worth, and play a miniature version of 7th edition (with 6th ed. army books).  Then I could let my friends play with my models and still enjoy the old fun of Warhammer.

I had always ignored warmaster because I never knew anyone who played.  But when I actually looked into it, I realized it was the game I should have been playing all along.  Now I still plan on collecting a few armies, but I have abandoned by mini Warhammer idea, because warmaster seems more my style anyways.

If you do end up doing the cross compatible route, I recommend buying 20mm square flat MDF bases, the Warhammer square bases look way too tall for the 10mm models.

Keep us updated on your project!