September 30, 2024, 02:17:51 PM

Author Topic: Ships?  (Read 8082 times)

Offline discok3

• Loc: Dorset UK
Ships?
« on: December 09, 2015, 11:39:27 AM »
Hello guys
So who makes ships suitable for Warmaster?
All help appreciated
Cheers
Kev

Offline Dave

• Loc: Worcester, MA
    • The Epic Gamer
Re: Ships?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2015, 12:54:41 PM »
I've seen a few Viking, Greek and Roman era N scale models, but that's about it. Nothing that fits the aesthetic though.

Offline Stormwind

• Veteran member
  • Ben Sibbald | Newcastle, UK
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2015, 02:02:15 PM »
I have occasionally tried exploring this...

The big question is, do you want them for combat as per the rules in the book or for the looks of it?  I think trying to fit the unit bases onto a ship is such a pain - for me I only ever thought of ships as like markers, something to pretty up the side of a battlefield or to represent when reinforcements / evacuation is coming to a beleagued army!

The Dreadfleet Empire or High Elf ship are obviously an option from eBay, but they are pretty much ultimate capital ships, the most powerful vessels in the entire Warhammer world rather than the kind we would use.

There's obviously the old Man o' War ships.  Around the old World the more regular Bret and Empire ships might work but I've not seen them in person to see if they scale up.

In terms of modern models, I think this is the best thing currently available:

http://www.ghqmodels.com/store/napoleonic-micronauts-battle-sails.html

I'd really like a coastal terrain section using these kinds of things as wrecks.
My Personal & Modelling Blog >>http://theancienttrack.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline jchaos79

• Veteran member
    • Loc: Vigo, Galicia, Spain
    • Fortunes of war
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2015, 02:16:55 PM »
steve barber make great roman ship

http://www.stevebarbermodels.com/10-10mm-miniatures

Offline discok3

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2015, 03:58:11 PM »
Mmm..historical ancient ships aren't how I see them so Dreadfleet has my vote although still waiting to find out what length the ships are first
Man O War ships look too dinky to be viable imho

Offline cjbennett22

• Loc: Grand Rapids, Michigan
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2015, 04:28:58 PM »
it really depends on what you are asking.

if you want to do a full warmaster fight on the bridge nothing is going to work and you will need to make up your own table top to work with the 40x20mm bases.  making your own shouldn't be too hard.  I tried this over the summer and the closest I came was......you could have the defending vanguard start out on the bridge....have the reserves come from underneath at a certain door and have the main force roll to show up each turn from another door from underneath, and then the attacker could have 1 entry onto the ship for his vanguard and rearguard with planks they setup to bridge the ships and then have the main force roll each turn to just swing over on ropes or something.  but have a 2x4ft table as the ship itself with all of the different deployment zones.

Man o'war ships will look fine but they are really small in scale, so if you wanted something just to sit in a bay area to act as an objective marker then I would find a much larger model than man o'war size ship like everyone suggested.

I have tried to figure out how to add ships to the warmaster fights but couldn't do it.  the only way I could think of doing it that would really work is honestly trying out a massed mordheim type of game.  because there are so many trap doors on a ship or so many places for men to be at on a ship no one fights in a formation.  usually so much stuff on the bridge of a ship that a formation wouldn't even be possible.  And remember, sailors are not soldiers.  all sailors are crafty cutthroats with no honor and live by a hugely different code in all aspects.  Throughout history they have always been a different breed.  I imagine they will stay up in the masts and sails and hide behind anything possible and use ambush tactics and fight hand to hand only when needed to.

Offline discok3

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2015, 04:37:42 PM »
I wouldn't be quite as ambitious as you suggest but rather simply have a ship or two as transports as per the guide in the rules.All very tentative at the mo but it's good to know that Dreadfleet ships are readily available cheaply.
I'm also considering castles but that might cost a packet so will research first before making a decision
Thanks for all your thoughts and suggestions so far
Cheers
Kev

Offline Stormwind

• Veteran member
  • Ben Sibbald | Newcastle, UK
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2015, 04:38:13 PM »
In the 3rd Warmaster mag it shows some ships but alas they are scratch built by some GW studio bod.  He even recasts them in resin to use as shipwrecks.

People with more nous than me can probably make it from coffee stirrers, but scratch building is not something I ever had the space or skills to do at this level.

http://ablogofwar.blogspot.co.uk/2015/09/on-painting-desk-4.html

EDIT: ^ Thought that link above had an interesting ship in it.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 04:51:29 PM by Stormwind »
My Personal & Modelling Blog >>http://theancienttrack.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline discok3

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2015, 04:54:43 PM »
Hey Ben
Just saw you're a member of Madgamers!..my old club when I lived in Maidenhead..say hello to Russ and Trev for me.
Nicked loads of coffee stirrers over the years...never used one of 'em😂
Cheers
Kev

Offline Tiberius

• Loc: Anaheim, CA
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2015, 11:17:40 PM »
There are a little modern for Warmaster, but Sails of Glory has some pretty good 18th and 19th century ships.  It's a pretty fun game too!  I highly recommend it.  Uncharted seas has some good fantasy ships too, which I think sometimes you can get for pretty cheap.

Neither one to scale, but really nice models.

Offline Geep

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2015, 03:03:42 AM »
Mmm..historical ancient ships aren't how I see them so Dreadfleet has my vote although still waiting to find out what length the ships are first
Man O War ships look too dinky to be viable imho
Dreadfleet ships are smaller than Man O' War ships in scale, but end up about the same size as Man O' War due to the ships all being insanely 'big'.

Offline discok3

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2015, 05:55:24 AM »
AFAIK Man O War are around 1'-1.5' long whereas my friend who owns Dreadfleet tells me the ships range from 2.5'-4.5'..that's considerably bigger and much more fitting for part time use in Warmaster it seems

Offline calmacil

• Loc: Nottingham, UK
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2015, 05:31:14 PM »
I've also been looking for 10mm scale ships
I didn't find any suitable ones, so my plan is to cast some in resin, and maybe add a few extra bits to cast in metal

I don't think it would cost you too much to buy yourself a resin casting kit

Offline empireaddict

• Loc: UK East Midlands
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2015, 07:26:09 PM »
I recently purchased a Revell 1:90 Santa Maria ship kit.  Haven't quite worked out what I'm going to do with it but thinking about a turning into some sort of corner-of-the-table feature moored against a jetty?  Other projects to complete first, however!
"I cannot believe you when you say [your friend] has identical plastic boxes for his armies, all color coded [...] Don't you think that is being little obsessive?"
"Yes, but not enough to scare us wargamers."
Larry Leadhead (2004)

Offline discok3

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2015, 10:00:59 PM »
calmacil I think that's a step too far for me as I'm a simple man who looks for an easy solution where possible..ships only play a v small role in the game so I'll stick with Dreadfleet ones for now
Good luck with your project though.I'd love to see your results...maybe you could sell some eventually?!
Cheers
Kev