October 01, 2024, 08:20:05 PM

Author Topic: limited movement over bridges or through gaps  (Read 8261 times)

Offline Dave

• Loc: Worcester, MA
    • The Epic Gamer
Re: limited movement over bridges or through gaps
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2015, 12:39:46 AM »
I'm having a panic attack thinking about bringing the Empire. Time to put the Chaos Dwarves  together.

Offline cjbennett22

• Loc: Grand Rapids, Michigan
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2015, 12:42:19 AM »
bring them both!  talking about warmaster or man o'war?  LOL

Offline Dave

• The Epic Gamer
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2015, 02:22:50 AM »
MoW.

Offline cjbennett22

« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2015, 04:11:44 AM »
yeah, with man o'war, bring whatever you feel comfy with.  Do you have your hotel booked yet?

my wife told me I had to take our 3 year old, I said she is crazy, its hard enough having to take him with me to get a paint at the hobby store.  LOL

I only have 2 warmaster armies, I am willing to bring whichever.  Will dwarf or Chaos bring more flare to the tournament?

Offline Lex

• Global Moderator
  • I wonder...
    • Loc: Bergen op Zoom, Netherlands
    • Warmuster . BitzBox
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2015, 11:27:02 AM »
the 3.5 and 7 rule I always used for my own movement, as Dave says, not part can move over maxed....  but I seldomly call it on my opponents, and I have seen a LOT of bendy tapemeasureing over the years that (on average) gives a unit 4-6 cm more movement......

I will whip up an example later today !

Offline Dave

• The Epic Gamer
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2015, 11:28:32 AM »
We're booked, Wed to Mon. A Chaos army will definitely be in Friday's tourney, not sure about Dwarves. A three-year-old ar the con will be tough, the  youngest I saw these past years was 5 or 6.

Offline cjbennett22

« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2015, 03:22:19 PM »
Thank you lex.

I used to have a plastic 40cm stick with 10cm notches in it.  It would be able to bend and really show the measurements perfectly.  My then 2.5 year old going through his terrible two's bent it way to far and it snapped so now I have 2 20cm plastic sticks that don't bend all that much.  Soon I will have another im sure.

Dave, I forgot the tourney is on Friday.  That will add so some complexity of the whole trip but should be still manageable.  I am just now looking into making the trip.

Offline Lex

• Global Moderator
  • I wonder...
    • Warmuster . BitzBox
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2015, 08:08:09 AM »
Where does the yellow unit end up if it moves in front of the (friendly) white one

Offline cjbennett22

« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2015, 11:57:43 AM »
well it cant move through or see through or split up to take the shortest route per stand to make it around the 3 friendly stands.  so I would measure 20 from top right corner of the left stand moving to the right and going around.  I would physically move the left stand to the new spot on the table and line up the others along side it.  I could move to a column 3 deep with the measured stand being in the rear.

Offline Lex

• Global Moderator
  • I wonder...
    • Warmuster . BitzBox
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2015, 12:16:47 PM »
OK....

1) move the rightmost stand 4 cm to the right
2) it will become the center stand after the move which means it will end up needing 8 cm to make that position
3) 12 cm movement spend, allows for a forward move of 8 cm (creating a 4 cm gap between the units)
4) middle stand move 8to the right, 8 forward and 4 to align
5) left stand goes 4 LEFT, 8 forward and 4 RIGHT    <-----  yes, this stand does NOT move full allowance

so you end up with two units exactly aligned, but 4 cm apart....

Offline Geep

« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2015, 02:09:36 PM »
I don't remember anything about it in the rules, but I would agree with CJbennett22 that stands shouldn't split from their unit to take the shortest route (as Lex does with the left most stand). The rules may allow it, but I view that as an oversight and wouldn't do it.

The difference with my way then is:
1) Move the rightmost stand 4cm right. It will become the leftmost stand later, which will take 12cm of move. That gives it 4cm to move forward.
2) The centre stand moves 8 right, 4 forward and 8 left.
3) The left stand moves 12 right, 4 forward and 4 left.

The end result is that the units are exactly aligned, but with a 2cm gap (vs Lex's 4cm).

Offline Lex

• Global Moderator
  • I wonder...
    • Warmuster . BitzBox
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2015, 02:13:14 PM »
Rules as written propagate movement PER stand, allowing for S&S against a moving stand, which might allow other stands to make contact etc......

The only restriction being that at the START and END of the movement stands are in legal contact with an other stand of their unit.

But you are following VECTOR measurement, which demonstrates my point

Offline cjbennett22

« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2015, 04:21:03 PM »
I do not see anything in the rule book stating you cannot separate your stands. I will have to agree with you Lex.

I always knew movement distances were per stand but always thought of a unit moving as one thing and keeping their stands together.

Good to know  ;)

Offline Tzar_Boris

« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2015, 05:20:19 PM »
I'm sorry, I didn't get one point - in what situation will you need the cm numbers for rotation?

Well actually any time you change a units facing.........
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 10:08:37 AM by Lex »

Offline cjbennett22

« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2015, 01:55:16 AM »
That was back at the beginning, talking about a gap of terrain formations.  Infantry can move through the smallest edge gap (2cm)  but would need to rotate to do so.  The rotation from line to column and back to line would take 3.5cm each time so it would then only end up moving 13cm.  3.5x2=7(from line to column and from column to line), 20-7=13.

I think we agreed on the fact that if you were just moving your units around then no big deal, 20cm point to point BUT yes, moving through a weird gap in the terrain would then need to limit your movement in the sense that the formation of men would need to shuffle around and cost the unit some time and then setting back up again on the other side.  I honestly have not played on a table this detailed though.