July 04, 2024, 05:27:10 PM

Author Topic: The BFG: Expanded Revised Rules Thread (New Years 2022 Update!)  (Read 195364 times)

Offline ErikModi

• Loc: Minnesota
Re: The BFG: Expanded Revised Rules Thread (Update 04/11/2016 - AdMech)
« Reply #90 on: June 25, 2016, 02:36:17 AM »
Progress is coming along slowly for the Chaos book. It should be ready for release SoonTM.

Cool!  They're my faction of choice, so very much looking forward to your revisions!  If I can help, let me know.

Offline Xca|iber

• *Transcribing Intensifies*
Re: The BFG: Expanded Revised Rules Thread (Update 07/03/2016 - Chaos)
« Reply #91 on: July 03, 2016, 09:57:38 PM »
Just in time for the chaos ::) of the 4th of July holidays (at least for those of you in the States), I present the first draft of BFG:XR Chaos! Clocking in at over 40 pages, this is one of the longer codices in the project, covering everything from the dreaded Planet Killer to the fearsome flagships of the Traitor Legions.

As always, please give it a read and let me know your comments and questions (and any typos or errors you can find).

The major changes to look out for are some updated profiles and new rules for the Legion flagships, to help set them apart from their normal counterparts and to keep them in line with the appropriate sacred numbers (as much as possible, anyway!). Also, a couple of names have been changed, as some parts of the old nomenclature were a bit of a mouthful. Lastly, Gothmog convinced me to keep the CLs in the list  ;), but to appease those of you with more... traditional fluff sensibilities ;D, their numbers have been limited to 0-6 per fleet.

That's all the updates for now! Tau is up next I think, to give me a break from the normal Imperial-style profiles. Rogue Traders will be the last (but not least!) to be finished.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 11:28:23 PM by Xca|iber »
++Ask Not, Fear Not++
-------------------------
BFG:XR - The Battlefleet Gothic Expanded Revised Rules Project

Offline ErikModi

« Reply #92 on: July 05, 2016, 04:05:45 PM »
Thanks, been waiting for this!

Looks great!  The ships seem well-balanced at first blush (didn't note that much had changed), and the fleet lists are much better organized and laid out.

Two minor disappointments:  the Hellbringer Light Cruiser from Battlefleet Gothic:  Armada is nowhere to be found, and I think I'd heard that wasn't a ship made just for that game, but I could be wrong.  I was also hoping to see variations of old-school Chaos "Battle Barges" and "Strike Cruisers," what they would have been before and during the Horus Heresy.  But, all the research I've done indicates ships like that didn't really exist at that time, so it's understandable they aren't statted.  I like the ability to purchase "actual" Space Marine Battle Barges and Strike Cruisers from the right fleet list, that'll tie in nicely with my campaign rules.

Offline Xca|iber

« Reply #93 on: July 05, 2016, 04:52:29 PM »
Thanks, been waiting for this!

Looks great!  The ships seem well-balanced at first blush (didn't note that much had changed), and the fleet lists are much better organized and laid out.

Two minor disappointments:  the Hellbringer Light Cruiser from Battlefleet Gothic:  Armada is nowhere to be found, and I think I'd heard that wasn't a ship made just for that game, but I could be wrong.  I was also hoping to see variations of old-school Chaos "Battle Barges" and "Strike Cruisers," what they would have been before and during the Horus Heresy.  But, all the research I've done indicates ships like that didn't really exist at that time, so it's understandable they aren't statted.  I like the ability to purchase "actual" Space Marine Battle Barges and Strike Cruisers from the right fleet list, that'll tie in nicely with my campaign rules.

First off, thanks!

As to your questions, I did have rules for the Hellbringer at an early stage of development, but I realized that if I included it I'd be opening a can of worms as I'd be expected to add all the ships from BFG-A, which would quickly get complicated since the game is still being developed. I'll probably be submitting my Hellbringer stats to the ASC 2.0 at some point in the future though, so you'll be able to find it there.

Speaking of, Gothmog's ASC 2.0 has the Heresy-era BBs and SCs that you're looking for, I think. As for why they're not in BFG:XR - I am trying as much as possible to keep with the BFG:R philosophy of minimizing the number of ships/variants in each book. This is important to maintain the flavor of each faction (so that we don't have a bunch of cloned ships with different accessories) as well as to maintain the balance of ships within each book (as you increase variety, the potential for "strictly better / strictly worse" ships also increases). This is why the ASC is so great - if balance isn't a concern for a scenario or playgroup, you can pull whichever ships you need and have a good time, while still being able to use the rulebooks as a "standalone" if you want a more "pick-up & play" style of game.

In any case, I'm glad you like it! Let me know if you find any errors or have any other questions.  ;)
++Ask Not, Fear Not++

Offline ErikModi

« Reply #94 on: July 05, 2016, 06:16:15 PM »
Makes sense.

Looking at the broader range of torpedo-armed Chaos ships in (especially the Schismatic) XR, I'm actually considering un-refitting my Despoiler and Repulsive to give them their torps back, and use Boarding Torpedoes exclusively.

Speaking of the Schismatic, was it based on http://www.shapeways.com/product/PGTTVKE5Y/bfg-heresy-marine-cruiser?optionId=40874697?

And, whoa!  Just took another look at the Schismatic, is that really 6 Strength lances port and starboard!?!

Oh, and on the "uglier" Grand Cruisers, I like the rule about the armored prow.  Always seemed weird to me that they had what looked like an armored Imperial prow, but no actual additional armor.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 06:21:18 PM by ErikModi »

Offline horizon

• Veteran member
  • Destiny Infinity Eternity
« Reply #95 on: July 05, 2016, 07:42:16 PM »
Hey,
First of All strike cruisers are post heresy so there are no pre heresy strike cruisers.

BFG: Armada has not contacted me during development so all of their designs are bollocks anyway. Lol j/k

Grand cruisers look cool and the schismatic certainly should not have 6 lances per side!

Offline ErikModi

« Reply #96 on: July 05, 2016, 09:00:42 PM »
Hey,
First of All strike cruisers are post heresy so there are no pre heresy strike cruisers.

Yeah, I know.  Just kinda wish there were.

BFG: Armada has not contacted me during development so all of their designs are bollocks anyway. Lol j/k

Too true!  :)

Grand cruisers look cool and the schismatic certainly should not have 6 lances per side!

I think they look. . . interesting, but a lot of people seem not to care for them.  I wasn't too fond of them statswise, but it looks like they might be good additions under these rules.

Another query:  The Planet Killer was destroyed in the Gothic War, so is it still available in the 13th Black Crusade?  Was the ship rebuilt for it (know very little about 40k fluff, only really followed BFG).  If so, cool beans.  If not, shouldn't Abbadon have another flagship in the 13th Crusade fleet list?

Offline Xca|iber

« Reply #97 on: July 05, 2016, 09:21:54 PM »
... schismatic certainly should not have 6 lances per side!
Copy paste error detected! I'll fix it this evening after work.  :-[ (Don't want to add more fuel to fire of the Chaos CL controversy hahaha)

@ErikModi, Yes, the PK returned in the 13th Black Crusade.
++Ask Not, Fear Not++

Offline ErikModi

« Reply #98 on: July 05, 2016, 09:38:53 PM »
... schismatic certainly should not have 6 lances per side!
Copy paste error detected! I'll fix it this evening after work.  :-[ (Don't want to add more fuel to fire of the Chaos CL controversy hahaha)

@ErikModi, Yes, the PK returned in the 13th Black Crusade.

Oooh.  Nice.

Offline Xca|iber

« Reply #99 on: July 06, 2016, 01:28:43 AM »
Lance strength on the Schismatic has been corrected.

Thanks for catching that one horizon! ;)
++Ask Not, Fear Not++

Offline ErikModi

« Reply #100 on: July 07, 2016, 02:42:26 PM »
Page one, near the bottom:  "and for the next ten thousand years they continued the Long War against the Humanity and the Emperor of Mankind."  Should be "Humanity," not "the Humanity."

Offline Xca|iber

« Reply #101 on: July 07, 2016, 04:49:34 PM »
Page one, near the bottom:  "and for the next ten thousand years they continued the Long War against the Humanity and the Emperor of Mankind."  Should be "Humanity," not "the Humanity."

Fixed.  ;)
++Ask Not, Fear Not++

Offline ErikModi

« Reply #102 on: July 07, 2016, 09:22:40 PM »
Update the links?  They're broke.

Offline Xca|iber

« Reply #103 on: July 07, 2016, 09:24:52 PM »
All of them or just Chaos? I will take a look this evening.
++Ask Not, Fear Not++

Offline ErikModi

« Reply #104 on: July 07, 2016, 10:22:16 PM »
Just Chaos, but both (in the original post and just a bit above.)