September 15, 2024, 07:20:48 AM

Author Topic: Vortex torps  (Read 2081 times)

Offline atension

• Lurker
    • Loc: canada
Vortex torps
« on: September 09, 2015, 01:36:54 AM »
The BFG:R adeptus says: "Hits inflicted by vortex torpedoes will automatically cause critical damage."

Does this mean that if they touch the ship then they cause a critical or if you roll and beat the armour of the ship then they cause a critical?

Offline Xca|iber

• *Transcribing Intensifies*
Re: Vortex torps
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2015, 05:34:48 AM »
Keyword here is "hits" - the torpedo must hit first (by rolling better than the target's Armour value), then it inflicts 1 point of damage and automatically inflicts a critical hit with no need to roll.
++Ask Not, Fear Not++
-------------------------
BFG:XR - The Battlefleet Gothic Expanded Revised Rules Project

Offline atension

• Lurker
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2015, 05:43:07 AM »
Wouldn't a normal torpedo do the same thing? How does a vortex differ then?

Offline Xca|iber

• *Transcribing Intensifies*
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2015, 05:56:10 AM »
A normal torpedo hit must first roll to get past Armor. If successful, it inflicts a point of damage on the target. Once the target has suffered a point of damage, another roll is made to see if that damage causes any critical damage - doing so on a score of 6.

So, an example:

I fire a Str6 salvo at your cruiser with 2 Turrets and 5+ Armour. Let's say one turret hits, meaning that 5 torpedoes now attack. I roll 5 dice against your armour value. Assuming I roll well, let's say that 2 dice score 5+ and the rest miss. Your cruiser would then take 2 points of damage. I then roll two more dice (one for each hit) to see if critical damage occurs. Each '6' I roll would then result in one roll on the Critical Damage table (rolling 2D6 and adding it together).

Vortex torpedoes would follow the same process, except that at the end, instead of requiring a roll of 6 to generate critical hits, you would just proceed to make two rolls on the Critical Damage table.
++Ask Not, Fear Not++
-------------------------
BFG:XR - The Battlefleet Gothic Expanded Revised Rules Project

Offline atension

• Lurker
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2015, 06:03:18 AM »
Ahh oops I completely forgot about rolling for each damage point to see if it causes a critical in a 6. Thanks!