August 02, 2024, 09:21:45 AM

Author Topic: Preview of my BFG: 2015 Project  (Read 4109 times)

Offline Xca|iber

• *Transcribing Intensifies*
Preview of my BFG: 2015 Project
« on: September 07, 2015, 05:47:46 PM »
Hey all, new guy here! You've probably noticed me asking lots of weird, convoluted questions over the past couple of months about all sorts of edge cases and bizarre, highly specific rules interactions. Maybe you've even wondered why the heck I've been doing it. Well, here's the answer:

The BFG: 2015 Project.

...Or in other words, my attempt to stand on the shoulders of some community giants and produce a complete set of self-contained BFG rules, for the sole purpose of satisfying my wholly irrational desire for document uniformity and extended explanations of all the things that confuse me (in terms of BFG that is). Really it's all just a silly personal thing that's helped me learn the rules, but I figured I should share it for posterity.

So what does that all mean? Basically, I'm going through all of the core BFG Rules (including Armada and FAQ 2010), plus the BFG:R fleet lists (for balance reasons), and re-writing and re-formatting them to reflect the style and polish of the original release of the Battlefleet Gothic Rulebook. In other words, it's mostly just editing. Now I have to admit, my creative side got the better of me and I've expanded a tiny bit to include some house-rulings my group uses for a few of the fleets and Armada upgrades. On the whole though, BFG 2015 is 90% BFG Rulebook + Armada Ordnance + FAQ 2010 + BFG:R Fleet Lists.

Of course, I'm nowhere near done with any of this - it takes a long time to recreate all the content by hand and I am doing a fantastic job procrastinating (looking at you, 75 pages worth of IN and Chaos ships...). That being said, I finally finished my first draft of the main rulebook and I wanted to share it, as a kind of teaser for what's to come. When I release a big pack of documents I'll start including the full change-log and everything else; for now it's just the PDF link to my dropbox.

The 2015 Project Rulebook has everything except Scenarios, Lore, and Campaign Rules (which will be in different documents for space-saving reasons). It's about 60 pages and probably has typos and other things I've done wrong (every time I look at it I catch something) - so please, please post (constructive) feedback here or email me at the address below (spoilered to protect against spam): [spoiler]BattlefleetGothic2015@gmail.com[/spoiler]

And lastly, a big thanks to everyone who explained all those strange rulings to me over the past few months, it was a huge help!

You can get the BFG: 2015 Rulebook Here (Link)
« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 05:49:33 PM by Xca|iber »
++Ask Not, Fear Not++
-------------------------
BFG:XR - The Battlefleet Gothic Expanded Revised Rules Project

Offline Gothmog Lord of Balrogs

• Lord of the Seven
    • Sepulchre of Heroes
Re: Preview of my BFG: 2015 Project
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2015, 10:10:25 PM »
I was planning on doing this for BFG:R after ASC 2.0, but have hit delays in that. Glad to see someone is willing to do this.

If you ever need help, just PM me! I'll proof read, help edit, provide artwork/pictures. What ever is needed.

The one thing I will say, is don't be afraid to include colour art in this version if you have to add stuff.
"Give me a thousand men crazy enough to conquer Hell and we shall do it!"
www.sepulchreofheroes.blogspot.com
sepulchreofheroes@gmail.com

• Lord of the Seven
    • Sepulchre of Heroes
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2015, 10:16:03 PM »
I would also make sure where ever it is a suggested house rule, you specifically state that!

Offline Xca|iber

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2015, 11:02:07 PM »
Thanks, I may take you up on that offer!

As for why it's all B&W - since most of the art in the original book (except the modeling stuff, which I don't have on hand) is monochrome, it was a little jarring to introduce color art in the side-by-side. Eventually I may go through and replace everything with color.

In terms of changes, 99% of the main rulebook is functionally identical, with only wording altered for space and clarity. As for the other 1%:

• I've allowed the option for both classic blast marker rules and the 2010 FAQ blast marker rules, since I know some people here are divided on that issue. (I know, I know... shameless pandering  ;))
  • I specified that boarding actions only trigger the one (modified) crit roll for each ship rather than one roll per point of damage plus an additional bonus roll, since that seemed to be the intent of the rules.
  • I've moved all the rules for picking up Armada Ordnance (Torps, Mines, Torp Bombers) out of the rulebook and into each fleet list itself, because I wanted players to be able to open up their fleet list and pick forces without having to flip back and forth.
  • I think I added one or two suggested terrain configurations

Everything else that differs is - to my knowledge - either word-for-word or functionally identical to the Rulebook + 2010 FAQ. Hope that clears things up.
++Ask Not, Fear Not++

• Lord of the Seven
    • Sepulchre of Heroes
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2015, 11:32:40 PM »
That seems perfect. At the very end though, it may be good to include an "editor's notes" just to make sure people are aware what was/wasn't changed, for any reason. Obviously this excludes typos and most grammar changes, but covers "important" stuff.

And feel free to PM me when ever. I am actually working on the ASC 2.0 document as we speak, adding in a few more ships and making a few format changes

Offline MaWo79

• Loc: Germany
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2015, 09:36:44 PM »
Great work! This is exactly what I was waiting for. Finally I have one complete rulebook. I think I will send this to an online printstore and order a hardcover copy. I hope we get to see some reworked fleet lists soon. :D

Offline Xca|iber

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2015, 09:48:06 PM »
Thanks!

I might suggest waiting to print until after a few more rounds of proofing - just to be sure that there aren't any errors in the print. I've proofed it a few times already, but as with any huge document, things sometimes slip through.
++Ask Not, Fear Not++

Offline Blindhorizon

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2015, 04:07:22 AM »
I will be wanting to print a couple copies as well.

Blind-

Offline Bessemer

• Loc: UK
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2015, 10:43:24 PM »
That's some awesome stuff, mate! Well done!
I refuse to be killed by something I've never heard of.

Offline galladrel

• Lurker
    • Loc: Charlotte, NC
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2015, 02:32:55 AM »
tremendous work sir, ty