August 03, 2024, 07:17:36 AM

Author Topic: BFG:R Mimic Engines?  (Read 2322 times)

Offline Xca|iber

• *Transcribing Intensifies*
BFG:R Mimic Engines?
« on: July 24, 2015, 07:06:03 AM »
Okay okay, I realize this is a rules question but nobody ever seems to answer my questions in the Rules subforum. Sorry  ;)

The DE Mimic Engine (BFGR) says that I can't fire at it for the first two turns unless it reveals itself. Can I attack them with ordnance since that's not "firing" at them? (My thought is probably no - that seems against the spirit of the rule).

On the other hand, torpedoes specifically attack friendly targets as well, so could I launch torpedoes at the ship, just not attack craft?

Thanks
++Ask Not, Fear Not++
-------------------------
BFG:XR - The Battlefleet Gothic Expanded Revised Rules Project

Offline Seahawk

• Bombardment!
Re: BFG:R Mimic Engines?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2015, 03:27:05 PM »
I don't play BFG:FE, so I can't help you there. Probably the same reason nobody else answers, 'cuz nobody plays it. :P

Offline Bessemer

• Loc: UK
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2015, 04:32:55 PM »
@ Seahawk: Speak for yourself! :P

@Xcaliber: As you say, that would be against the spirit of the rules, but RAW there's nothing to actually stop you from doing that. Other than ****, if you can live with that, of course ;)
I refuse to be killed by something I've never heard of.

Offline heavygear

• Loc: france
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2015, 08:10:14 AM »
Okay okay, I realize this is a rules question but nobody ever seems to answer my questions in the Rules subforum. Sorry  ;)

The DE Mimic Engine (BFGR) says that I can't fire at it for the first two turns unless it reveals itself. Can I attack them with ordnance since that's not "firing" at them? (My thought is probably no - that seems against the spirit of the rule).

On the other hand, torpedoes specifically attack friendly targets as well, so could I launch torpedoes at the ship, just not attack craft?

Thanks

The mimic engines didn't work totally like this on standard BFG

On turn 0 the DE get a free move.
Then at the begining of turn 1 if the DE player is at more than 30cm from any enemy ship he cannot be targeted for the turn unless he attacked. The mimic last one turn not two.
From the second turn on the DE can be targeted.

Despite being ordnace, you cannot shoot torpedoes at DE ships during the first turn as they are not a valid target lock for them (Unless DE ships attacked or are under 30cm from one of your ship).

You can launch other types of ordnance but they cannot attack any DE ships during turn 1 unless a DE ship cross their path (or attacked).

BFG-R except for the slight 2 turns lenght differences works the same

BFG standard should have written during enemy first turn if the DE player is at more than 30cm from any enemy ship he cannot be targeted for the turn unless he attacked
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 08:14:40 AM by heavygear »

Offline Xca|iber

• *Transcribing Intensifies*
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2015, 08:32:48 AM »
That is pretty close to how we ruled it, though the 30cm range part we left out (since it was not in my version of BFG:R Dark Eldar - from afterimagedan's site). Here's what we said:

[spoiler]Vs. Enemy Ships
Enemy ships may not shoot at, board, or otherwise attack
a mimicking vessel. In addition, they may not launch
torpedoes at such vessels unless the path of the marker
brings it in contact with a non-mimicking enemy target.

Vs. Enemy Ordnance
Mimicking ships are ignored by enemy minefields and
will not attract mines. However, contact with any enemy
ordnance is still resolved normally. If enemy ordnance
markers attack a mimicking ship (or any ordnance the
ship has launched), that ship is automatically revealed.

Revealed
If a mimicking ship fires its weapons, launches torpedoes
(or mines), uses its own ordnance against an enemy
ship or marker, or otherwise attacks in any way, it is
immediately revealed.[/spoiler]
++Ask Not, Fear Not++
-------------------------
BFG:XR - The Battlefleet Gothic Expanded Revised Rules Project