September 15, 2024, 03:27:25 PM

Author Topic: Target Priority  (Read 1681 times)

Offline Xca|iber

• *Transcribing Intensifies*
Target Priority
« on: July 02, 2015, 11:30:02 PM »
I need a clarification for how target priority works. Do you always have to test if any weapon is firing at a non-closest target within its arc, or only if no weapon is firing at the absolute closest enemy?

In other words, let's say I have one target to the left (10cm away), and two targets to the right, (15cm and 20cm away, respectively). Assume that I have one port weapon, one starboard weapon, and one dorsal (LFR) weapon.

I fire the port weapon at the left target. May I then fire the starboard weapon at the further (20cm) right target without taking a target priority test? If not, may I fire the starboard weapon at the closer right target, then fire the dorsal weapon at the further one without taking a target priority test?
++Ask Not, Fear Not++
-------------------------
BFG:XR - The Battlefleet Gothic Expanded Revised Rules Project

Offline Bessemer

• Loc: UK
Re: Target Priority
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2015, 04:12:23 AM »
Sorry for the late reply!

It's one test to fire at anything other than the nearest, regardless of how many weapons are being fired.

In your example (let's assume the ship passed the test), you could fire Starb'd and Dorsal weapons at the furthest target. If there was another target at 20cm in your port arc, you could have targeted that vessel also.

If you'd had failed the test, you would have had to fire at the 15cm target in your Starb'd, and fire dorsal weapons at the portside vessel.

Again, sorry for the lateness, not very often i read this sub-forum. :-[
I refuse to be killed by something I've never heard of.

Offline Xca|iber

• *Transcribing Intensifies*
Re: Target Priority
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2015, 05:52:56 AM »
So in essence, each weapon on a ship must fire at the closest target within its fire arc, otherwise you must pass a target priority test. Once passed, any weapon can fire at any target within its arc.

Thanks, that's what I was thinking. I played it wrong a few times in my early games so I wanted to be sure I was doing it correctly now.
++Ask Not, Fear Not++
-------------------------
BFG:XR - The Battlefleet Gothic Expanded Revised Rules Project