September 11, 2024, 10:21:11 AM

Author Topic: Sparty Makes a BFG Inspired Kickstarter  (Read 6078 times)

Offline iamspartacus

• Loc: Memphis
Sparty Makes a BFG Inspired Kickstarter
« on: April 28, 2015, 03:47:33 PM »
Guys, this forum has been good to me for years, and I'm going to bother you just a bit more.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1108024882/clockwork-armada

I started this project while working on house rules for BFG, my favorite game ever.  Its changed a lot over the years, but the influences are still there: Bearing compass, minimum movements, Special Orders. 

It would mean a lot to me and mine if ya'll could share this with anyone who might be interested.  This is going to live or die by word of mouth, since I haven't had the time or money to promote it like I feel it deserves.

Offline Malika

• Loc: Netherlands
    • Bits Blitz
Re: Sparty Makes a BFG Inspired Kickstarter
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2015, 09:00:44 PM »
Oooh, those ships look interesting, really reminds me of Leviathan! By the way, have you ever seen this project?

One piece of advice: try to have some well printed (and painted) models out as soon as possible to show, just the renders will only get you so far...
Bits Blitz - the place to be for all your bits needs!

Offline iamspartacus

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2015, 03:42:14 AM »
Yeah, I saw the Leviathan ships and saw the similarities.  I hate they are having so much crap with that, apparently evil manufacturer that screwed up their business plan.  I see that link is from 09.  I thought I was actually designing my stuff before Leviathans, but I didn't get started till around 11.  Still a great aesthetic, there need to be more hex grid games. 

I do have painted minis!  There's a pic on the page, and you can see them in the video.  They are prototypes, but I've been through the resin and pewter process.  The finals will just have deeper details from what I've learned doing this.  Vaaish and Mangozac were really helpful and patient with advice on that. 

Offline DinoDoc

• Loc: Oxford, MS
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2015, 04:33:24 AM »
Love the work. I'd contribute to the KS because I love contributing to local businesses and the offering looks wierdly cool. However, this month money is a little tight.

Offline iamspartacus

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2015, 04:45:49 AM »
I appreciate the thought.  Really, the main thing I'm searching for is how to expose myself (lol).

I'm not a social media guy, it feels impersonal, and I don't want to spam forums where I have no relationship with the forumites.  I guess I just need to find the right people to talk to who could allow more people to be aware of it. 

Offline Gothmog Lord of Balrogs

• Lord of the Seven
    • Sepulchre of Heroes
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2015, 05:17:46 AM »
If you put up some gameplay videos with your test models and explain game mechanics in them, I would be willing to put it up on my blog.
"Give me a thousand men crazy enough to conquer Hell and we shall do it!"
www.sepulchreofheroes.blogspot.com
sepulchreofheroes@gmail.com

Offline iamspartacus

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2015, 05:37:12 AM »
I hope to do the gameplay video this coming weekend, so I will remember you!

Offline DinoDoc

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2015, 05:41:15 AM »
I appreciate the thought.  Really, the main thing I'm searching for is how to expose myself (lol).

I'm not a social media guy, it feels impersonal, and I don't want to spam forums where I have no relationship with the forumites.  I guess I just need to find the right people to talk to who could allow more people to be aware of it.
Have you tried the Full Thrust group on Facebook? They're always interested in new ships. The TMP forums would also be a productive place to promote it IMO.

Offline iamspartacus

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2015, 05:56:07 AM »
I wouldn't have thought of FT, so thanks.  I'll check out TMP.

Edit:  TMP is kind of a maze!  What area would be best to post about it?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 06:05:06 AM by iamspartacus »

Offline DinoDoc

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2015, 06:31:40 AM »
Edit:  TMP is kind of a maze!  What area would be best to post about it?
Cross-post it to the Crowdfunding and Spaceship Gaming forums.

Offline iamspartacus

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2015, 05:41:05 PM »
Thanks.  I had an account on there, but apparently it wasn't a 'verified' one, so I gotta wait 3 days.

Offline mdauben01

• Loc: Huntsville, AL
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2015, 06:21:25 PM »
Looks like a cool game, with some nice looking miniatures.  I'm a bit tight on gaming funds this month, but if I can swing it I'll definitly pledge at least Ship Master, hopefully more! 

Offline iamspartacus

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2015, 08:10:37 PM »
I really appreciate that, thank you.  I included the option for the single battle cruiser for folks who maybe didn't want to fork over more but wanted a big cool ship.  Like I said earlier, if you know of any groups to mention it, I'd be much obliged.  I'm cross eyed over reading articles on promotion.  I thought I was making the right decision focusing on the product itself all this time, but now I'm certainly having to learn fast :)