October 06, 2024, 03:23:19 AM

Author Topic: Mlkr's plog and misc.  (Read 49835 times)

Offline mlkr

• Loc: Sweden
Mlkr's plog and misc.
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2015, 06:07:31 PM »
I basically hit the part where whatever I do wrong will be hard to fix so I got cold feet and then started on something new. Will think about what kind of sand and flock to put on... Not sure yet...
//Swedish BB & WM-player.

Offline mlkr

Mlkr's plog and misc.
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2015, 06:11:34 PM »
Anyways - here is a sneak peak. These where just "dipped" (I use a brush - less mess that way) and are drying as I type. Stone trolls are next.

- Should I mix trolls on bases for bigger variety?
- Anyone now a good way to do saliva/slobber hanging from the river troll's mouths?

Offline Geep

Re: Mlkr's plog and misc.
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2015, 12:13:29 AM »
My plan (when I get around to it) is to have distinct units of stone trolls and river trolls- but there's no reason not to mix them.

For saliva- there's heaps of water-effects products that may work. I have no experience with them though, so test the idea first.

Offline mlkr

Mlkr's plog and misc.
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2015, 09:13:24 PM »
I found a few different tutorials and will experiment with some glue since I happen to have that at home :) Hopefully resulting in some slimey rivertrolls.

In other news I have managed to paint and dip the Stonetrolls and results are looking promising!

As with my orcs, the trolls were mainly painted listening to AC/DC. Feels fitting for a proper Waaaaaaagh!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5MqEnxFYxbw

Offline jchaos79

• Veteran member
    • Loc: Vigo, Galicia, Spain
    • Fortunes of war
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2015, 07:03:09 AM »
Now you have a herd of trolls! scary

Offline mlkr

Mlkr's plog and misc.
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2015, 07:48:08 AM »
6 units worth ^_^ You can field 9 at 3000 point but I am not sure that will ever happen?

Offline Jo

« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2015, 09:01:20 PM »
Nice work. And quite courageous to paint 6 units at once - congrats.

I see you dip the miniatures when they are still on the 'painting sticks'.

Maybe an idea: for O&G I first glue the miniatures to the base and add some coarse gravel. And then I dip the whole. This adds shading to the base as well and acts as additional glue.

Keep on building that green horde!

Offline mlkr

Mlkr's plog and misc.
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2015, 05:02:59 PM »
Compared to the 9 units of orcs the trolls were a breeze ;) It does take a lot of commitment and pushing myself to continue to paint even when it feels like nothing is happening. I believe I get things done faster in the end though.

I have dipped miniatures on bases before and like the effect :) With 2 separate strips so close to each other and wanting to put some extra work on the bases I decided against it though.

I just started my new job today after finishing my studies. Will probably have to put a little less time on painting from now on :/

Still - I am thinking about start painting my goblins. 11+ units is going to be the death of me. Currently experimenting with different ways of painting them that still gives me a lot of nice shades and some colour. Will post some of it when I find time ^_^

Thanks all for commenting. It keeps me motivated!

Offline mlkr

Mlkr's plog and misc.
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2015, 06:06:28 PM »
Here are some players in my Chaos Pact BB-team. All GW-figures except the Goblin whom I got from comixininos. Very good webstore if you are looking for BB-miniatures :D

These were painted about 2 years ago and I am pretty pleased with all of them except for the Dark Elf and Troll.

Offline mlkr

Mlkr's plog and misc.
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2015, 06:12:12 PM »
These were painted with Army Painter colours and dip, but on all miniatures I did more than just basecolouring and on a few I put some extra love and care. Then based and brushed on the "dip".

Not pleased with Dark Elf because The hair aint as good as I wanted. The troll was coming along nicely but being the last piece to paint I sadly got impatient and rushed it after a while...

Offline jchaos79

• Veteran member
    • Loc: Vigo, Galicia, Spain
    • Fortunes of war
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2015, 08:46:31 PM »
wow nice BB team, and spectacular collection of Game Colours.

With the gobbos keep the motivation high, painting 11+ units at once is a serious thing and could make you abandon the project, so go on mlkr!

I remember my 8 units of bofa goblins. I painted not at once, but one after another... and it was a exhasted exercise.

Offline Geep

« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2015, 02:29:13 AM »
You've managed to make one of the overly-muscled minotaurs look good- well done. I like converting current style miniatures into Blood Bowl ones as well.

For the goblins, I found them much easier to paint than the orcs (though 11 units is huge). My method was to undercoat in black and drybrush on different shades of blue-grey, before even looking at the detail. That gave a quick sense of accomplishment, as the models are mostly clothing.

Offline mlkr

Mlkr's plog and misc.
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2015, 10:09:33 PM »

Have been experimenting a bit with white undercoat and different techniques but so far not pleased with results. My main goal is to allow for bows and other details (squigs and stuff) to be brightly coloured. I want those parts to really stand out.

Black undercoat is of course the obvious choice since thats the biggest part of the sculpts but it also creates the need for multiple layers of working backwards up to bright colours... :/ Vallejos yellow doesnt really help either - the ones I got aint that good... Will probably have to suck it up and go this route in the end.

If so I will airbrush on a mix of almost black
Drybrush with blues or purple - havent decided yet.
Find a good bright colour that covers well and "undercoat" details.
From there - give them the regular treatment and finish with a "dip".

11+ units though :S It will hopefully not be so bad.
Anyways - just finished studies and started my new job so wont have as much time as before. Workpace will be slower. Cheers!

Offline Stormwind

• Veteran member
  • Ben Sibbald | Newcastle, UK
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2015, 11:33:37 AM »
I love seeing modern "gang" shots like that, good job.
My Personal & Modelling Blog >>http://theancienttrack.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline mlkr

Mlkr's plog and misc.
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2015, 09:06:20 PM »
Thanks! :)

Quick update: Cleaned and organized my workspace. New box for storage of and easy access to basingmaterial + mini's in que.

Found a small amount of Troll's that I missed. Decided to paint them + Trolls from Polar Fox to add variety to my units. Really nice sculpts from PF.

Will also paint up my rocklobbas since the trolls for those are done. If I can be bothered I will have them fling squigs instead ;)

Tested if Feldherr foam trays fit warmaster-bases and it is very good! Will order a carrying case so I can transport the army safely.

That's that for now ^^