July 07, 2024, 11:29:12 AM

Author Topic: Regarding Fighta-Bommas and Tyranid Upgrades  (Read 4710 times)

Offline Don Gusto

Regarding Fighta-Bommas and Tyranid Upgrades
« on: September 11, 2009, 05:35:11 PM »
Hello, I am new to these forums.
I started on BFG only last year and have been playing it fairly often since. The old SG-Site was a tremendous help, there was an answer to every question that came up in my games if I only dug deep enough.
Alas that source is gone, so now I have to post here by myself. ;D

There are 2 things in the current rules (FAQ2007) that bother me and I would like to know how other players think about them.

1. Ork Fighta-Bommas
The FAQ2007 gives Fighta-Bommas a +3 modifier to compensate for turrets.
Just to make things clear, if you do the math a single regular bomber (if he's not shot down) against a target with 0-5 turrets will on average get
3,5 - 2,5 - 1,7 - 1 - 0,5 - 0,17 attack runs. With the +3 modifier a Fighta-Bomma will get
 2  -  2  -  2  - 2 -  1  - 0,33 attack runs.
Thus against all but the weakest targets (since most ships have 2 turrets) Fighta-Bommas are now superior to regular bombers.
I think this is way over the top. While the unmodified D3 attacks are utter crap this is the other extreme. To build the strongest Ork fleet the general advice (in other threads/forums) is now to take as many Terror Ships as possible and the only battleship worth considering is Gorbag's Revenge. Imho this shows that something is not right and people seem to miss the fact that with the +3 modifier Fighta-Bommas are not on par with other bombers but outclass them.

2. Tyranids - Evolution of the hive mind
Tyranid ships can be boosted considerably by taking the upgrades from this section. Are these upgrades to be treated as part of the fleet lists or are they seperate (refits is mentioned in the text)? I've read the FAQ in Warp Rift 18 but the point that really bothers me is missing there:
If it's ok for Nids to use these upgrades in One-off games, even PICK them, shouldn't then the opponent be allowed to choose refits for his own fleet as well? Just to keep it fair?

Looking forward to your answers and please correct me if I got something wrong.

Offline Admiral_d_Artagnan

Re: Regarding Fighta-Bommas and Tyranid Upgrades
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2009, 10:44:12 PM »
1. Orks are a horde fleet so why would you be surprised they get more attacks than norm? And they still have to roll to see if they damage the ship. At those numbers, you'd probably get 0 damage.

2. The logic was that the Nids evolve and can get some goodies and so can choose their evolution options and their ships do start out underpowered compared to other races. I don't mind that. I do mind that the cost of each upgrasde is too cheap.

As for choosing for the other races, the ships they start out with are good enough already so giving them this option might put it over the top. It also makes for bookkeeping since you now have to figure out which ship has what and lastly the cost is too prohibitive at 10% of ship cost per upgrade.

Offline mspaetauf

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009, 06:38:55 PM »
Hi!

I read about some Fighta-Bommer rule update, but I do not know where to get it!

So can someone point me to those FAQs, please?

They are not on the GW site. :(

cheers,

Offline horizon

• Veteran member
  • Destiny Infinity Eternity
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2009, 06:44:36 PM »
www.portmaw.com has current FAQ available.

Offline RayB HA

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 03:27:10 AM »
Hi Guys,

+3?! It should have only been +1! Where is this FAQ?

Cheers,

RayB HA
+++++++++++

When I joined the Corp we didn't have any fancy smancy tanks! We had sticks! Two sticks and a rock for an entire platoon, and we had to share the rock!

Offline horizon

• Veteran member
  • Destiny Infinity Eternity
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2009, 04:15:56 AM »
At www.portmaw.com

It is the same as the one which was available at the previous SG site.

Happens to be the latest put online by You and your friends Ray.  ;)

Offline Don Gusto

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2009, 03:06:58 PM »
+3?! It should have only been +1! Where is this FAQ?
Well THAT is interesting and starts making sense to me ;D

Now I'm tempted to attach the 2007 FAQ but not sure if its ok here.

Thanks for that reply RayB HA :)

Offline RayB HA

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2009, 09:09:15 PM »
Well, after reading it again I remember being out voted! I wanted fighter bombers to count as a bomber with d3 attack runs with fighter support. So (D3 -Turrets) +1.

Oh well, sorry for any confusion, I'll carry on playing it my way.  ;)

Cheers,

RayB HA
+++++++++++

When I joined the Corp we didn't have any fancy smancy tanks! We had sticks! Two sticks and a rock for an entire platoon, and we had to share the rock!

Offline Sredni Vashtar

• Lurker
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2009, 03:18:49 PM »
Well, after reading it again I remember being out voted! I wanted fighter bombers to count as a bomber with d3 attack runs with fighter support. So (D3 -Turrets) +1.
this seems like the smarter option to me too.