September 02, 2024, 12:22:44 AM

Author Topic: New proxy for Necrons  (Read 25410 times)

Offline heavygear

• Loc: france
New proxy for Necrons
« on: December 24, 2014, 06:10:22 PM »
For XMAS! Here is the forthcoming mini that can serve as cairn proxy

This is a preview from Red Arsenal on shapeways and actually unreleased
additional infos can be found on BFG FR forum

Offline horizon

• Veteran member
  • Destiny Infinity Eternity
Re: New proxy for Necrons
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2014, 07:56:06 PM »
Impressive!

Offline Malika

• Loc: Netherlands
    • Bits Blitz
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2014, 08:42:10 AM »
Wow, a lot more interesting than the original! Will there be other Necron ships as well?

Also, do you have a like to the thread on the French forum? Which reminds me, I really need to re-learn my French!
Bits Blitz - the place to be for all your bits needs!

Offline Stormwind

• Veteran member
  • Ben Sibbald | Newcastle, UK
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2014, 04:45:35 PM »
Looks better than the original I'd say ha ha.
My Personal & Modelling Blog >>http://theancienttrack.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Pix

• Loc: France
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2014, 08:02:31 AM »
Also, do you have a like to the thread on the French forum? Which reminds me, I really need to re-learn my French!

I was thinking you should start to post some stuff on BFG FR.
Why not start a "BFG - ideas from internet" thread like the one on Resin Addict ?
Mainly pictures ! And even if you write in english, we will be very happy to practice our english.

Offline Malika

• Bits Blitz
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2014, 08:41:55 AM »
Hmm, that might not even be such a bad idea, or even post in broken French. I can always google translate stuff. :)

Offline heavygear

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2014, 09:18:24 AM »
Wow, a lot more interesting than the original! Will there be other Necron ships as well?
Yes 2 are already available
Link to the shop: http://www.shapeways.com/shops/redarsenal

pics
Voidrunner

Intruder

The french thread is here:
http://battlefleet.forum-actif.net/t1545p90-vente-red-arsenal

Offline Malika

• Bits Blitz
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2014, 10:25:48 AM »
Hmm, he needs to print them elsewhere than Shapeways, try to find a more high-end service and then cast them. I mean, the models look so cool, but the Shapeways prints just make them look grainy, which is such a shame. :(

Maybe have a chat with the fellows over at Resin Addict, or set up his own boutique styled shop?

Offline Pix

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2014, 10:40:21 AM »
Hmm, that might not even be such a bad idea, or even post in broken French. I can always google translate stuff. :)

Broken french will be perfect if you think about our broken english :)

Offline Malika

• Bits Blitz
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2014, 01:04:57 PM »
Malika123 reporting for duty! Ha, I joined the forum. As for the inspiration thread, I have to ponder a bit about it, since that thread was mostly filled with stuff that was either directly taken from the French forum or already posted there. ;)

Offline heavygear

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2014, 01:46:29 PM »
Hmm, he needs to print them elsewhere than Shapeways, try to find a more high-end service and then cast them. I mean, the models look so cool, but the Shapeways prints just make them look grainy, which is such a shame. :(

Maybe have a chat with the fellows over at Resin Addict, or set up his own boutique styled shop?

Depends of what resolution shapeways you use, if you use WSF (white strong flexible) it will be be really bad.
Fortunately he use FUD (frosted ultra detail you may wash with soapy water before painting to remove any remaining casting "dust").

Offline Malika

• Bits Blitz
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2014, 01:51:29 PM »
I've worked a bit with FUD and whilst it's decent, it's still inferior to the quality of plastic/resin that is currently on the market. So whilst it isn't that bad, it's still an inferior product. Which makes it difficult to compete on the market since there is so much stuff out there. So what you want is a high quality product for an affordable price, and sadly enough Shapeways isn't yet able to compete on either of those against a decently cast plastic/resin/metal model.

Offline Pix

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2014, 09:20:14 PM »
It's good than you are now on BFG FR too !!

About this resin vs 3Dprint discussion, i really don't know what to think. I am feeling than the 3Dprint (and i am mainly thinking about the FUD) is really badly consider by the community. And still i don't see why. I am feeling both material and process are having they one advantage and mistake.
Resin is cheap when you start to produce "en masse", and it's true the surface is pretty nice to paint.
But to make it affordable you need to make a big production. Sometime you have bubble or some mold issue also.
In term of 3D print, FUD is some kind of good balance between price and quality in comparaison with all the other material Shapeways is offering. All the other material is not fiting the type of precision we are looking for.
It's printed on demand, meaning no stock for the producer and so no logistic to take care.

I agree some time you see some line or other artefact the process is creating, but really with few thin layer of paint you don't see them so much.
What i also enjoy with the 3D printing there is no restriction about what kind of shape you can print. In resin you need to check than you piece can be take out from the mold.

I am feeling people in general are having bad opinion with this kind of new process. There is for sure stuff to evolve with this new process, but i don't see so much issue with it.

And 3D printer will evolve soon :)

I am more unhappy with all the Shapeways politics about how far you can push there machine....
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 09:43:44 AM by Pix »

Offline Yodhrin

• Loc: Scotland
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2014, 01:33:23 AM »
Slightly OT, but since we're discussing Shapeways/FUD - has anyone tried prepping a FUD model by giving it the soapy lukewarm water bath & gentle scrub treatment as you usually would with a new model, then giving the model an extremely thinned down wash of liquid green stuff/milliput? I would think that one or two(to make sure application is even) of those would eliminate any remaining visible "stepping" once the undercoat was applied, no?

Offline Blindhorizon

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2014, 03:31:32 AM »
Personnally I use FUD for multiple prints I have done, the prints are not as bad as some have said. Although there may be need for some fine grit sanding for the most part the parts look rather nice. FUD is still viable and should be widely accepted, I see some companies using far worse printing services for their miniatures that they produce commercially. I cast and get very good results using FUD. If your going to invest in a wax you better hope you sell a lot as it is drastically more expensive. What I would do is print FUD create a mold to make miniatures off of so you can clean those miniatures up and then Create a production mold from the fixed miniatures.