September 01, 2024, 10:27:53 PM

Author Topic: New proxy for Necrons  (Read 25405 times)

Offline Dono1979

• Loc: Canberra
Re: New proxy for Necrons
« Reply #45 on: March 01, 2015, 09:07:20 PM »
While GW may be dead in regards to doing their own stuff with BFG, I think they are still pretty protective about the IP and running a kickstarter with aesthetics so close to the Necron stuff may be tempting fate a little too much?

I'm sure there could be other ways for them to be brought into a Resin life. There are a number of smaller companies starting up which have the resources to do limited lines, plus there could be a few other people who may be interested in helping fund such a launch for something in return. Whether or not Mangozac is in a position to actively help he may at least be able to give guidance and advice on the costs associated (like a good place to get a master print) which would then allow you to establish a proposal or something.

As for the model itself, I really like it, but do agree those barrels are huge for scale purposes

Offline mangozac

• Resin Addict
« Reply #46 on: March 01, 2015, 10:10:24 PM »
Hey guys, this is mainly a reply to Tink, but I think it's valid for anybody else out there who is doing similar stuff ;)

Firstly, I love your work Tink! You've taken the GW designs (of which I was never a fan) and make them supremely cool! Awesome style update and great detailing! I agree with Malika on the cannons - they do break the scale. The very long barrels are part of the problem.

With regards to resin casting, unfortunately Dono is correct: these are still copying a lot of unique parts of GW's Necron style so I think to sell them would be a bit risky. If they were a little more unique I would talk with you about organising some high quality prints and resin production.

Offline Tink

• Loc: Camaret-sur-Mer, France
« Reply #47 on: March 02, 2015, 07:18:56 PM »
Thanks for your replies ! I will be working on these cannons. :)

Actualy, I already know a good place to get these masters : I work in a 3D printing compagny and we have the machine needed for high quality models... but my boss won't let me print these for free (materials are awfully expensive :/). It's a money & time issue. And, of course, there is GW... ^^

Offline Malika

• Loc: Netherlands
    • Bits Blitz
« Reply #48 on: March 02, 2015, 10:33:48 PM »
Follow Mangozac's advice! :)
Bits Blitz - the place to be for all your bits needs!

Offline heavygear

• Loc: france
« Reply #49 on: May 24, 2016, 05:28:51 PM »
The Scythe proxy concepts I gathered from Tink

Offline heavygear

• Loc: france
« Reply #50 on: May 26, 2016, 09:11:20 AM »
Cairn proxy mastered by a 3D printer but not Shapeways.
I don't know if Red Arsenal will continue with Shapeways, he find it too expensive for the result. Here is a pic of a new master by another manufacturer. Red Arsenal is trying to simplify a bit the details on some places to get an easier (and less costly) printing.

Up

Bottom
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 09:12:53 AM by heavygear »

Offline Malika

• Bits Blitz
« Reply #51 on: May 27, 2016, 06:57:51 AM »
Check your pm

Offline Tink

« Reply #52 on: May 04, 2018, 08:29:35 PM »
Hello and sorry for the topic necromancy but I figured it seems logical to continue the discussion here rather than creating a new one, as I didn't found any recent topic on the subject. ^^'

I was working on these ships and stopped the project years ago due to drowning in work and other irl problems. I apologize to those who were waiting for these models.

I came back to it after someone recently ask about the battleship on Shapeways and decided to finish the fleet. Progress have been nice so far : I managed to solve the quality issue with Shapeways and made some new ships. Test prints for all of them have already been ordered and received. They are currently sitting on my desk waiting for fresh paint. I will make them available on SW one after the other as soon are they are ready for battle.

New models will include :
2 variants of the battleship previously shown (one is a bit bigger than the other and make a nice admiral ship... but they will be costly :s)
1 cruiser
1 light cruiser
2 variant of defence platform (light weapons and heavy weapons)
1 civilian transport ship

And I have designed a new pack of mines. The current one isn't adapted to SW recent pricing method...

So everything should be available at last. Sorry for the long wait !

Offline Tink

« Reply #53 on: May 17, 2018, 06:11:59 PM »
The battleships are ready, and the new pack of mines too !

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/redarsenal

CAUTION : battleship models available on the website aren't those I tested. I made small corrections in order to solve some problems I had with these prototypes :
- the crescents were very slightly sloped and it created ugly print marks. I removed the slope, which should solve the issue without noticeably change the shape of the figurine.
- base hole under the Mausoleum wasn't solid enough. I reinforced it.
- the kit design for the Altar had a flaw which let 2 little holes visible under the stern. Corrected too.

In theory, the figurines should be better than ever know but I'm still keeping an eye on them. I would gladly appreciate any feedback ! :)

Next will be the cruisers. Models are fine for these ones so there won't be any modifications.

Offline Tink

« Reply #54 on: May 27, 2018, 02:36:41 PM »
Cruisers and light cruisers are now available ! :)

Offline Lotus

• Loc: germany
« Reply #55 on: May 29, 2018, 10:38:38 PM »
Great work!

I have no time to build a necron fleet right now (work, children etc.).

But i have to say - these models are just awesome.

Offline Tink

« Reply #56 on: May 30, 2018, 09:47:30 PM »
Thank you ! I just ordered what my fleet was lacking + some last test prints. I will finally have my full necron fleet after all these years. xP

Defense platforms and cargo will be availablle next as soon as paint will be done. :)

Offline Malika

• Bits Blitz
« Reply #57 on: June 03, 2018, 03:41:32 PM »
Cargo and defence platforms for the Necrons? :O

Offline Tink

« Reply #58 on: June 05, 2018, 03:31:47 PM »
Yep. More for the fun than anything else !
I guess they can be used for custom scenarios or just for collection. :)

I should receive the last test for cargos tomorrow. I will paint and make them available afterwards.

Offline Tink

« Reply #59 on: June 07, 2018, 07:43:32 PM »
Cargo and platforms are available ! I'm done with this fleet. :)

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/redarsenal