September 27, 2024, 02:25:48 PM

Author Topic: [rumour] BOFA to return?  (Read 6253 times)

Offline kyussinchains

• Mod
[rumour] BOFA to return?
« on: October 21, 2014, 03:39:09 PM »
So I heard from a friend who is a member on the 'something awful' forum that there was a rumour going round that GW is planning to re-release the battle of five armies game this xmas to coincide with the release of the 3rd film in the hobbit series as a last hurrah before they dump the entire LOTR franchise from their range

he said that no sources were cited, and it may just be blind rumour, has anyone else heard anything about this? can anyone confirm or deny or share any further information?

Best 6mm site on the net: Tactical command forum

my hobby blog: full of 6mm goodness

Home of Epic: Armageddon on the web

Offline Stormwind

• Veteran member
  • Ben Sibbald | Newcastle, UK
Re: [rumour] BOFA to return?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 04:50:41 PM »
Well if you'd said that last year I would have shaken my head.

But this year we had that Space Hulk re-release which tells me GW might be keeping stuff, even SG type stuff, just in case.  Or maybe through rank inefficiency. =-P

So yeah, I figure, why not?
My Personal & Modelling Blog >>http://theancienttrack.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Jimmy Zimms

• Beshert is Beshert
    • Loc: World Traveler
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 07:03:28 PM »
Yeah this one is pretty plausible irrespective of Space Hulk simply as
1. There's a movie about to drop for it
2. Like Space Hulk it's an entirely self-contained game, despite the rules being based on WM.

I'd consider it myself if it was to happen and I don't even really care for fantasy. Wouldn't make a bad booster to those wanting to fill out collections I expect (they're in scale/style with WM figures, right?)
As we Imperials say, "The Emperor [class battleship] Protects..."

Offline andys

• Loc: UK
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 07:23:18 PM »
Interesting. I'd put one on my list to Santa. Or Satan, seeing as how the Evil Empire are involved  :D

£40-£50 to milk the market, it's what they like to do.

I don't suppose they'd produce any of the metal blisters for the extra units  :( .

Offline Stormwind

• Veteran member
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2014, 07:41:00 PM »
I would crawl over broken glass if they would re-release the BOFA metal blisters!

Offline andys

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2014, 07:58:36 PM »
AIR, the last warmaster blisters went for £8.70. So if they did redo the metal ones for BOFA, you'd possibly be looking at £10?

They do have a reputation to maintain. Not that I think that reputation is for ripping their customers off you understand. Perish the thought...

Offline forbes

• Loc: North West, UK
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2014, 08:21:15 PM »
£40-£50 to milk the market, it's what they like to do.

Good luck with that!! The last time it was for sale I think it was around £60, the one I bought a year or two before it went off the market was at least £50.

Metal blisters would be really good - even at £10 a blisters - as some of the packs were very nice. But considering the move away from metal, I think this is very unlikely.

Offline Stormwind

• Veteran member
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2014, 09:16:21 PM »
Let an old man dream. ;-)

Offline andys

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2014, 10:21:44 PM »
Eeek! Just looked on their website (first time in a loooong time). They're selling the box set "Escape from Goblin Town" in the Hobbit range for £75. It's sold as a "once in a lifetime limited edition", which I guess is how they might pitch a new BOFA.

That'd be a LOT of cash in one hit for 2000 points worth of plastic figures, a bit of scenery and a rule book. Having said that, compared to currently metal products available from other manufacturers, it'd be a reasonable price, allowing that it's plastic rather than metal.

Would I buy one? I think I'd have to get permission from the boss first, especially around Christmas-time.

Offline Draccan

• Loc: Copenhagen, Denmark
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2014, 02:02:08 AM »
I would get a couple of those sets. And I esp. would love the metal stuff. But I wonder if this rumour started due to my thread on Warseer asking for its return when the film gets here.

It would make total sense for GW to bank on this stuff though...
I really would love to buy some Warmaster Kislev, Araby, Bretonnia, Vampire Counts, Chaos demons ...

Offline andys

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2014, 03:46:54 PM »
I would get a couple of those sets. And I esp. would love the metal stuff. But I wonder if this rumour started due to my thread on Warseer asking for its return when the film gets here.

It would make total sense for GW to bank on this stuff though...
You rarely see "sense" and "GW" in the same sentence. Just saying like...  ;)