October 16, 2024, 05:18:56 PM

Author Topic: [WM] Egyptian Skeleton project!  (Read 29539 times)

Offline berzerkmonkey

• Direct Fire
[WM] Egyptian Skeleton project!
« on: September 13, 2014, 04:55:15 PM »
I am in talks with Bob Naismith to sculpt a set of fantasy-Egyptian skeleton troops. I love the look of Vincent's skeletons, as well as the WFB Tomb Kings, and felt that "true" WM Tomb Kings  would be a pretty cool thing to have. Right now, this would be strictly for the rank and file - archers and horsemen would not be included.

They would most likely be very similar to Dave's landsknechte, in that they would be on stands of two models to allow variation in the unit. Large, Egyptian-style shields and kopesh-based weapons would also be standard. I'd also like to have a sprue of shields for conversion of other units, but at this time, I don't know if that is something anyone would be interested in.

So, before I go in all the way, I'd like to gauge interest in TK skeleton troops - yay or nay? Also, if you have any ideas for looks or designs, feel free to share.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 05:10:59 PM by berzerkmonkey »

Offline Stormwind

• Veteran member
  • Ben Sibbald | Newcastle, UK
Re: Egyptian Skeleton project!
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2014, 05:24:46 PM »
Yes yes yes!

I am very interested. =)
My Personal & Modelling Blog >>http://theancienttrack.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline jchaos79

• Veteran member
    • Loc: Vigo, Galicia, Spain
    • Fortunes of war
Re: [WM] Egyptian Skeleton project!
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2014, 07:45:26 PM »
I think it is interesting all new units of 10mm. So have my support (I'm not big pocket dude) but I will buy a unit or two of each "reference"

Great, men

Offline dry_erase

• Loc: London
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2014, 08:14:39 PM »
I'm certainly interested. I've always liked how the GW skeletons are closely ranked together, so if possible it would be nice to have bases that make it easy to squeeze more than the standard 8 onto a 40mm x 20mm stand.

In design terms, I like a mixed approach. The WFB Tomb Guard could provide inspiration for a few armoured infantry models. I'd also like to see a couple with Egyptian-style loin cloths and head-dresses.

Offline Stormwind

• Veteran member
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2014, 10:39:56 PM »
Unfortunately the cost of sculpting jumps up considerably when doing a full "strip" so I can understand why they are more likely to be in strips of 2 "people" like the current landsknechts.

I would love it if they were a little more like the Tomb Guard - with those Egyptian style swords rather than the scythes and things that the old GW ones had!

Are you considering uniting with Dave and the Warmonger Miniatures site?
http://www.warmonger-miniatures.com/

I am getting genuinely a little overexcited at the prospect. :-X

Offline dry_erase

• Loc: London
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2014, 11:33:06 PM »
Unfortunately the cost of sculpting jumps up considerably when doing a full "strip" so I can understand why they are more likely to be in strips of 2 "people" like the current landsknechts.

Oh yes - I didn't mean more than 2 models per base, just finding a way to make those bases a little smaller so that I can easily fit 5 per stand or something like that. Just an idle thought...

I would love it if they were a little more like the Tomb Guard - with those Egyptian style swords rather than the scythes and things that the old GW ones had!

Yes, khopesh are a must!

Offline edgar1st@aol.com

• Loc: LONDON
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2014, 11:53:57 PM »
if you make I will buy :)

Offline berzerkmonkey

• Direct Fire
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2014, 01:40:20 AM »
Oh yes - I didn't mean more than 2 models per base, just finding a way to make those bases a little smaller so that I can easily fit 5 per stand or something like that. Just an idle thought...
I'll talk to the sculptor. These shouldn't be as bulky as something like the Landsknechete, so a row of 5 should be doable - no promises though. A frontage of five models is easier when you're doing a solid strip.

Yep - kopeshes are the plan!
Are you considering uniting with Dave and the Warmonger Miniatures site?
http://www.warmonger-miniatures.com/
That hack? Psssht...  :P We're actually in the same gaming group! I just came up with the idea yesterday, though, so, no, I haven't talked with him about bringing our two tribes together.

Offline vincent

• Warmasterplaytest team
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2014, 06:56:55 AM »
I would definitely buy what I don't have already and would someday convert on my own. So anything looking like Tomb Guards, Ushabtis, Tomb Swarm, Scorpion (I need a second one), Stalkers and Casket of Souls.
I would probably buy some more spearmen to add variety and avoid converting even more myself.

Offline vincent

• Warmasterplaytest team
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2014, 11:28:34 AM »
Several French players are enthusiast as well ;)
http://warmaster-fr.niceboard.com/t2742-gamme-khemri-en-devenir

Offline andys

• Loc: UK
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2014, 01:22:42 PM »
Depending on the price, I might be interested in 2 to 4 units. Although there are several sources of skeleton infantry currently available commercially.

I see these as maybe a "Guard" brigade separate to other, more basic skeleton infantry. Same stats, just looking different. Interesting concept.

Based on Dave's timescale for the Landsknecht and that for the forthcoming Evil Men, I guess we're looking at sometime next year before these would be available?

Offline berzerkmonkey

• Direct Fire
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2014, 01:37:04 PM »
Several French players are enthusiast as well ;)
http://warmaster-fr.niceboard.com/t2742-gamme-khemri-en-devenir
Thanks for spreading the word, Vincent!
Based on Dave's timescale for the Landsknecht and that for the forthcoming Evil Men, I guess we're looking at sometime next year before these would be available?
Right now, this is still in the planning stage, and will heavily depend on Bob Naismith's schedule. But yes, likely next year.

Offline Stormwind

• Veteran member
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2014, 02:42:20 PM »
Speaking as someone who has NO undead at all, and was not enthused about the idea of converting all the old GW ones that are now OOP out there...

I'd probably get at least 8, depending on what they were like.  If it went well and went on enough to create Larger Infantry Skeletons / Scorpions etc. I would definitely be in for those as well.

In fact I got so enthusiastic last night as I nodded off I started doodling ideas.  I can't afford to commission the kind of strips I long for, though. There's just so many gaps to fill now that GW stopped supporting us. =-/

Offline Armiger84

• Loc: Boston, MA
    • De Bellis Futuris
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2014, 02:46:18 PM »
Count me in.

I was actually looking at the modern WH:F Tomb Kings line the other day and lamenting that some of those models weren't around to proxy in for giants, sphinxes, giant scorpions, etc., back when I was collecting for Warmaster.  While I can probably dig my cavalry and archers out of the basement, more Egyptian-styled skeletons would be wonderful for bulking out/replacing the old mixed-fantasy base units.

Definitely interested!
My modelling blog:  http://armiger84.blogspot.com

Offline Sawbones11

• Lurker
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2014, 04:24:05 PM »
Definitely interested!